Genz Benz El Diablo for low-tuned crushing metal?

• Thread starter Euthanasia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Euthanasia

Reaction score
Hello
I play mostly modern metal (Matcore, Metalcore, Sludge) and want some tight low end smooth tone.
I tune my guitar to A.
I found the 60W Genz Benz El Diablo for a great deal.
How is it for this type of music?
And does it need a tube screamer infront of it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score
Ask Thadood (Matt). He's got a Genz Benz and plays in a death metal band.

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
A lot of people will say that it's incapable of it, that it's not voiced for it. It's pretty much BS. It has more gain than anyone should ever need. The midrange voicing is a bit strange, but that's all. I found it works best with the tube contour a little to the left of half way and the midrange the same. I kept my EQ settings pretty much around noon (0 dB on this amp), compressed voicing on, and gain a little under noon. I also ran my hand-built TS clone into it, set pretty much at 4/5th volume 1/5 gain.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
when i tried out an El Diablo, i was thoroughly disappointed. the traynor YCV80 i owned at the time had a much better distorted tone, and that amp isnt even designed for anything past rock. not to mention the cleans laid it to waste. that amp left a sour taste in my mouth, and i was expecting it to blow my YCV80 out of the water.

can you test out the amp with your guitar?

Euthanasia

Reaction score
Thanks guys
Yes I can test it but its pretty far away and I dont have much time.
I want to know if it can do that tone i am looking for well.
So far looks like its not the thing i was looking for.
Any more Opinions?

Minoin

Scientist
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but the El Diablo 100 IMO has not enough gain for anything like metal and the 60 version is even worse. No tight gain here! I played on both like four times now and it just isn't a metalamp. Go get a Fireball, Blackmore or 5150!

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
Not enough gain? That's a joke. I put a JAN 5751 tube into V1 to cut some of the gain, and I still ride it at around noonish with the compression voicing on. I don't use the high gain option.

Is it voiced for metal? Not really.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys
Yes I can test it but its pretty far away and I dont have much time.
I want to know if it can do that tone i am looking for well.
So far looks like its not the thing i was looking for.
Any more Opinions?

if you can make the drive to test it out, go test it out. opinions dont have much on experience. 5 minutes will give you a rough idea of what it can do and if its what you're looking for.

shredthelight91

Reaction score
I work at a music store and we have a el diablo 60 watt combo amp. In terms of high gain amps it blows completely. Its warmer then a volcano and the gain is cheap sounding. If your looking for crushing metal, and your tuned to low A a 15 inch speaker would only crush your dignity.

The Trooper

Disposable Hero
Reaction score
It has more gain than anyone would ever need for any style of music, but I don't like them at all. I had to use one - twice - at a music festival we played. It's what they had in their backline. I had my pedalboard, so I tried boosting, options, etc...nothing made it sound anything like what I wanted for metal. YMMV, but it just wasn't for me.

Reaction score
i have the el diablo 100 and it is awesome for me i can get almost any tone i need or want out of it and yes if you scoop the mids a little then it will be brutal for death metal even tho i play more metal core stuff i still use low tuning...

fallenz3ro

Reaction score
are there any vids/clips of good tones from this amp around?

i've been curious as well

Jan

Reaction score
Dude, that's like the worst all-tube amp I ever heard. The other guitarist in my band had one for 3 months,tried tweaking it really hard and finally gave up and sold it. He has been playing Marshall JCM 2000 for 3 years now and he never looked back since. The amp was IMPOSSIBLE to dial in for metal, the distortion sounded like fart and lacked definition and tightness (and this guy was playing EMG pups...).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
why was this thread buuumped?

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Why not, if there was more to add... I wouldn't have seen it otherwise, and was curious about this myself. I've heard much the same thing about it, that yes, it has some gain, but no, its not of a tonality that lends itself to your typical DM-type tones.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hello
I play mostly modern metal (Matcore, Metalcore, Sludge) and want some tight low end smooth tone.
I tune my guitar to A.
I found the 60W Genz Benz El Diablo for a great deal.
How is it for this type of music?
And does it need a tube screamer infront of it?

What the hell is "matcore?"

thrill74

Contributor
Reaction score
As with most of the replies I have to agree. The amps dynamic voicing is pretty over the top for most players. I thought my Diablo 60 had plenty of gain but it really took some time to get a pickup combo that worked with my 7 string and the amp's character. It's just doesn't have the same "sag" like a 6505 or Marshall. Those amps are plug and play. It doesn't take too long to FEEL a great tone. The Diablo can do metal but jeez it takes time! The Global controls really help. I don't think I could have adapted to that amp without them. :hbang:

Latest posts

')