Genz Benz El Diablo for low-tuned crushing metal?

• Thread starter Euthanasia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrill74

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello
I play mostly modern metal (Matcore, Metalcore, Sludge) and want some tight low end smooth tone.

It's not smooth ;) But it sounds pretty great recorded. You won't need a tube screamer but an eq could boost it and then smooth it out. So it will "feel" better live.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

somn

Reaction score
i got the halfstack love it its the smaller combos thats sound shitty to me but all in all it up to what you like in the end

Reaction score
I have one, and although i'm not fully happy with it, it definitely does the job for metalcore, deathcore, whatever. It has plenty of gain and 5 "tone knobs"- contour, bass, mid, treble, and the attack knob(which to me sounds like a high mid boost, but i may be wrong), Making the tones very flexible. Someone above mentioned the whacky sounding mid-range of the amp, which is not exactly desirable. I usually set it very slightly scooped.
One thing to consider is that this amp has active tone knobs (if you notice the knobs don't go to 11 lol, they go -15,-12,-9,-6,-3,0,3,6,9,12,15). Meaning that once you are past the zero, you are boosting frequencies and otherwise colouring your tone a bit differently.
To properly set the tone controls you should start at what 12 o'clock would normally be on a passive tone knob, which is somewhere between -9, and -6 (approx 9-10 o'clock on the knob). So i would put the bass, treble, and mids all at that point and then work from there to tweak your tone.
Also the compressor button comes in handy. When I use 7 strings (drop A), I turn the compressor off to give me more highs and a clearer less sludgy tone. BUT when i use 6 strings (Drop C) it helps to push that button and fatten up those bass frequencies.
Hope this helps! these amps are great when you find them for the right price.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Not even sure wtf an El Diablo is. Was it made for Lynch to go with the G-Flex?

gclef

Reaction score
Not even sure wtf an El Diablo is. Was it made for Lynch to go with the G-Flex?

Not for Lynch. There was a long thread on harmony central where one of the designers said it was voiced more for lead players.
I have both a 60w head and combo and like them by themselves ok. But I REALLY like them when I boost either channel with a tubescreamer or something. A rat works well too.

')