George Lynch Hunter Signature Pickup

• Thread starter rexbinary
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
What's the downside to having more gear to choose from? If you're not interested, you can vote with your wallet by not buying. This stuff must be selling or they wouldn't keep producing it.

Exactly! And if the "new" guys helped shift more stock units than the "old" guys do, to the point that it stopped being worth it to the manufacturers, the "old guys" wouldn't keep getting the endorsement deals...

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
What's the downside to having more gear to choose from? If you're not interested, you can vote with your wallet by not buying. This stuff must be selling or they wouldn't keep producing it.

I agree. I love my Jackson Mick Thomson guitar! Glad it came out or else I would have had to have looked elsewhere from Jackson.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
More choices is good, I just think $160 is a little steep for a signature humbucker...and the consistent $50 tack-on over the usual Duncan models with the Lynch, DeMartini and Skolnick models is unnecessary...I’d wait till the price drops out a little IMO. SD can custom wind any model so it doesn’t really matter if it sells per se, they just shift gears if it doesn’t...Duncan doesn’t really discontinue models bar the Holdsworth and Bluebird so the price should inevitably come down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
More choices is good, I just think $160 is a little steep for a signature humbucker...and the consistent $50 tack-on over the usual Duncan models with the Lynch, DeMartini and Skolnick models is unnecessary...I’d wait till the price drops out a little IMO. SD can custom wind any model so it doesn’t really matter if it sells per se, they just shift gears if it doesn’t...Duncan doesn’t really discontinue models bar the Holdsworth and Bluebird so the price should inevitably come down.

just like the dimarzio pandemoniums. extra cost just because of the covers.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
The Hunter's pricing is pretty par for the course in regards to Custom Shop models.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
At least it’s ceramic and 15.4k... no more vintage paf Alnico 2 snake oil garbage. Sounds closer on paper to the Duncan Distortion which I like a lot.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
The Hunter's pricing is pretty par for the course in regards to Custom Shop models.
Exactly my point...it’s custom wind price for a production pickup. It’s not visually discernible from a Distortion so the price hike is purely in the “signature”...once the verdict comes in and the price goes down I might be interested

NateFalcon

Reaction score
Despite the love/hate at least you felt like you were getting something different from the rest of the SD line with a Dimebucker...the Lynch looks like a Distortion with a different wind...and Distortions are still impressive for being considered old school

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Exactly my point...it’s custom wind price for a production pickup. It’s not visually discernible from a Distortion so the price hike is purely in the “signature”...once the verdict comes in and the price goes down I might be interested
It's not a production pickup if the custom shop is making it. The price will not be coming down.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
It's not a production pickup if the custom shop is making it. The price will not be coming down.

Yeah it's like the Jason Becker Perpetual burn, that's a custom shop wind and also why it carries a massive pricetag (especially in Japan). Of course, some percentage of the proceeds go directly to help Jason and his family pay for medical expenses and such, but it's not a cheap pup because of that. I got a used one some time ago, and it sounded shrill as hell in a basswood Ibanez RG, which is why i didn't like it.

Zado

Reaction score
Maybe I've played too long with Ceramic loaded pickups, but they kinda bore me at this point.
Yep, also there are imho very few ceramic magnet loaded humbuckers that sound great, I'd say about 5 or 6 not counting the boutique market (which is mainly about alnicos tho).

Or maybe thats just me getting old and not considering great those ultra hot and super defined and aggro humbs made for da br00tz

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Yep, also there are imho very few ceramic magnet loaded humbuckers that sound great, I'd say about 5 or 6 not counting the boutique market (which is mainly about alnicos tho).

Or maybe thats just me getting old and not considering great those ultra hot and super defined and aggro humbs made for da br00tz
I think for me it's just a matter of using ceramic loaded pickups for years to the point all of them kinda burnt me out on them in general. I'm sure in a few years I'll be more open to them, but for now, I think Alnico + boosting is better, because without the boost, you can get thicker tones. This is great if you like to pull the volume back a bit on the guitar to get a crunch tone vs the full out volume on 10 distortion tone.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
The Hunter is indeed a Custom Shop pickup. The Perpetual Burn is not. The PB is slightly more expensive than, say, a '59, but is not made in the Custom Shop, and it costs about 35% less than a CS pickup.

Edika

Reaction score
I think for me it's just a matter of using ceramic loaded pickups for years to the point all of them kinda burnt me out on them in general. I'm sure in a few years I'll be more open to them, but for now, I think Alnico + boosting is better, because without the boost, you can get thicker tones. This is great if you like to pull the volume back a bit on the guitar to get a crunch tone vs the full out volume on 10 distortion tone.

While I do love Alnico 5's I've had really positive experiences with Alnico 5 core plus ceramic flank pickups. You get the best of both worlds like that. My only ceramic pickup loaded guitar currently is my only 7 string that has EMG's. All the others have Alnico 5's and the Alnico 5+Ceramic flanks. Even better the guitar on my profile pic has the JB in the bridge and I absolutely love how it sounds in this guitar, a pickup a lot of people seem to hate :D.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
While I do love Alnico 5's I've had really positive experiences with Alnico 5 core plus ceramic flank pickups. You get the best of both worlds like that. My only ceramic pickup loaded guitar currently is my only 7 string that has EMG's. All the others have Alnico 5's and the Alnico 5+Ceramic flanks. Even better the guitar on my profile pic has the JB in the bridge and I absolutely love how it sounds in this guitar, a pickup a lot of people seem to hate :D.

I'm one of those JB haters. I've tried them in alder body guitars (ESP M-II and MIM Charvel Pro mod) and it sounded yuck. Pegasus sounds soooooo much better.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
The Hunter is indeed a Custom Shop pickup. The Perpetual Burn is not. The PB is slightly more expensive than, say, a '59, but is not made in the Custom Shop, and it costs about 35% less than a CS pickup.

Well, the fact you can't walk into a store and just pick it up, like say a JB or 59, made me believe it was a custom shop, especially the insane prices here in Japan to get one (Fuck you very much ESP).

Edika

Reaction score
I'm one of those JB haters. I've tried them in alder body guitars (ESP M-II and MIM Charvel Pro mod) and it sounded yuck. Pegasus sounds soooooo much better.

What I've seen it depends on the guitar and the tuning. In this particular guitar it sounds sooo good I'm not thinking of changing it :D. I've had it into two other guitars and while it sounded ok I've changed it.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
What I've seen it depends on the guitar and the tuning. In this particular guitar it sounds sooo good I'm not thinking of changing it :D. I've had it into two other guitars and while it sounded ok I've changed it.

Yeah I've heard that the JB is a really finicky pickup. I think that's why I've never been a big SD fan.

Edika

Reaction score
Yeah I've heard that the JB is a really finicky pickup. I think that's why I've never been a big SD fan.

Another pickup I enjoy, even though with my current guitars with other pickups I understand why people don't like it, is the Carvin C22B. It is a quite bright pickup but still has a good bass response. It has however lots of clarity while sounding really really hot. I'm not sure if it's the frequency emphasis or the pickup itself in term of winding and output but it sounds pissed as hell and does other genres quite well. This and the fact it's not easy to swap pickups in older Carvin's that I haven't tried something else. But for example the JB in the Jackson gives that more packed frequency response, like a more uniform sound, while witb the C22B I can hear the different frequencies more separately with the higher ones overtaking the others a bit more.

You have praised the M22SD a lot and I've seen other people do so as well and I've been quite curious about but I've seen it describes as brighter than the C22B. Plus if it has more output I'm not sure I need it to be hotter than the C22B lol.