George Lynch Hunter Signature Pickup

• Thread starter rexbinary
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Another pickup I enjoy, even though with my current guitars with other pickups I understand why people don't like it, is the Carvin C22B. It is a quite bright pickup but still has a good bass response. It has however lots of clarity while sounding really really hot. I'm not sure if it's the frequency emphasis or the pickup itself in term of winding and output but it sounds pissed as hell and does other genres quite well. This and the fact it's not easy to swap pickups in older Carvin's that I haven't tried something else. But for example the JB in the Jackson gives that more packed frequency response, like a more uniform sound, while witb the C22B I can hear the different frequencies more separately with the higher ones overtaking the others a bit more.

You have praised the M22SD a lot and I've seen other people do so as well and I've been quite curious about but I've seen it describes as brighter than the C22B. Plus if it has more output I'm not sure I need it to be hotter than the C22B lol.

I've never tried the c22b so i cant say for sure, but i'd describe the M22SD as a Dimarzio SD with a boomier low end. It still cuts through amazingly, but it pushes the amp in a little different way. I had the Dimarzio SD in my RGR580 (mahogany body) and while it sounded okay, I felt it lacked some low end that the M22SD naturally has. I personally like the M22SD paired with the M22V, because the V is a warmer pickup and gives a little tonal variety, as compared to the M22N, which, while warm, is a little more closer to the SD overall (it was the stock pairing on Jason Becker's DC200 back in the day, the M22T/V set came later). That being said, my JB200 and V220 have the 22SD/V set and I put a set of 22SD/AP11/22N in my RG550RF. I tell you what, the SD sounds great in whatever guitar I've had it in, including my old E-II SV that I dont have anymore.

Zado

Reaction score
I heard that Alex Skolnick will be releasing his own Seymour Duncan pickup in the fall. That is what he told me when I met him

image.jpg

"seymourduncanpickupsFrom pioneering the Bay Area Thrash sound to playing with his jazz trio, Alex Skolnick is a titan of tone and technique. We designed his custom Skolnick set to his exacting standards to deliver rich, articulate sound that isn’t afraid to bite back.
#SeymourDuncan #guitar #guitarist #guitarpickups #AlexSkolnick"

muh

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex79

Reaction score
So Seymour Duncan found a way to get more money out of its standard pickup range: Put some minor tweaks on them and upsell them as custom shop.

I neither care for Lynch's tone nor his songs, yet I own two of his signature stuff (the baritone and the wah pedal). :)

Zado

Reaction score
i think these modern guys can't dial in an 80s tone, which is why he says it's muddy. sounds like my kinda pup actually.
For a moment there I thought the same. The description provided by SD really sounds like something I'd love too. But it's pricey for a pickup I cannot try (only the new Kamikaze has it, and no chance to see any around here), so I'd rather get something equally rad and 80's oriented, like the Schecter Sunset Strip or some BK.

So Seymour Duncan found a way to get more money out of its standard pickup range: Put some minor tweaks on them and upsell them as custom shop.

Mmm yes and no. The CS Duncans I've played so far always felt like a fine improvement on their standard designs, sonically and dynamically.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
For a moment there I thought the same. The description provided by SD really sounds like something I'd love too. But it's pricey for a pickup I cannot try (only the new Kamikaze has it, and no chance to see any around here), so I'd rather get something equally rad and 80's oriented, like the Schecter Sunset Strip or some BK.

Ah, but don't the kamikazes have full maple bodies? They have a VERY unique tone to them that no other body wood has, so it would color the hell out of the sound.

Zado

Reaction score
Ah, but don't the kamikazes have full maple bodies? They have a VERY unique tone to them that no other body wood has, so it would color the hell out of the sound.
True, but no other way to test them properly I fear

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I've installed a number of Screamin Demon pickups in various guitars over the years, always thought it was a decent pickup, even in non-maple bodies.

Zado

Reaction score
Maybe thats why people say they're muddy (besides their inability to create an 80s tone)? Maple is bright as hell and you need something to tone it down a bit.
Mmm dunno, Duncan wouldnt make such an expensive pickups if it was so troublesome and picky with guitars/settings.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Mmm dunno, Duncan wouldnt make such an expensive pickups if it was so troublesome and picky with guitars/settings.

George Lynch is a tone maniac. He's always on stage fiddling with knobs and shit on his pedal board (witnessed this first hand at Loud park and the Dokken reunion show). George Lynch has an idea in his head, and if he wanted to recreate the staple of his dokken sound, the 80s were full of PAFs and pups that modern guitarists would say are "muddy" because they aren't sparkly clean like Lundgren M series or Kiesel Icepicks.

Zado

Reaction score
George Lynch is a tone maniac. He's always on stage fiddling with knobs and shit on his pedal board (witnessed this first hand at Loud park and the Dokken reunion show). George Lynch has an idea in his head, and if he wanted to recreate the staple of his dokken sound, the 80s were full of PAFs and pups that modern guitarists would say are "muddy" because they aren't sparkly clean like Lundgren M series or Kiesel Icepicks.
That'd give an explenation why there isn't a single modern rock pickup I dig :lol:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
lundgrens have far from sparkly cleans. they're quite spanky (almost single coil/p90 esque), like the lithiums but def not sparkly.
Lynch is the consummate gear whore, he's been constantly messing with his rig since the 80s. He switches/peddles gear more than any famous player out there :lol:
Getting his base tone isn't hard though, all you need is a distortion and a marshall sounding amp with a ts808 to get that extra mid boost. Warren demartini's tone is also pretty easy to nail with that setup. I can still get those tones relatively easily with most modern pickups if I set my mids right on my mkiii/f30.

Zhysick

Reaction score
So the Skolnick set is a Dave Mustaine set.

I guess its tweaked in a slightly different way as the Mustaine set but yeah.

If you check here (Alex Skolnick Bio page at Seymour Duncan) it clearly states that he plays 59/JB combo so the "signature set" might be just, like the mustaine set, a slightly tweaked 59 and JB (at least in this set you will have a "custom" 59 neck not just a stock one)... check impedances and I guess these are just a bit hotter versions...

From the Seymour Duncan Alex Skolnick Signature Set:

The neck is a vintage output, PAF style humbucker with an Alnico V magnet; the tone is rich and articulate. The bridge is wound hot, with a voicing that emphasizes punchy midrange, and rich harmonics.

So... a 59 and a JB, but looking at the DC Resistances just a bit hotter in my book. Could be drastically different but he's been using the 59/JB combo for decades so I don't think he will be going very far from there...

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Super Duper Moduraturr
Reaction score
If I recall, the main tweaks between those two JB/59 sets is that royalties from the sales of the one JB/59 set go to the one particular endorser, whereas sales of the other produce royalties for that other guy - Can’t say for certain without a multimeter, though; so YMMV.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score