George Martin - A Song Of Ice And Fire

MrGignac

Sonderkommando
Reaction score
This looks to be one of the better HBO shows ever, The guy who plays tyrion lannister is like the john malcovich of midgets. Love all the books.

Im so sick of hearing the new books coming out soon, then it isnt. it looks like Martin is heavily involved in the show ( he wrote shows for HBO back in the day) So if i have to wait a bit for the book so the show is better, I dont mind.

Always wished they had made a belgarad & mallorean movie instead of that harry potter shit.

though it would not at all surprise me if he died before the book was finished. like robert jordan

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
As for the release date of the next book... i meanwhile relly could imagine that it IS ready and done, but they wait with the relase for jsut beofre the series starts...it would at least be a selling-argument.

Also i've read that they re-release all previous books like 2 weeks before the show starts..

Yes, i'm still hoping. :lol:

Richie666

Reaction score
Jesus icefishing christ! I've been waiting since 2006 for this. Wow, huge news.

However, I feel like I should wait until the series is complete and start from the beginning again. It's all sort of fading by now

EDIT: Then again if it's comparable to the brilliance of A Storm of Swords, which it probably will be, I just may have to stow myself away for a week and plow through the damn thing

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
EDIT: Then again if it's comparable to the brilliance of A Storm of Swords, which it had better be seeing as it took 5 years, I just may have to stow myself away for a week and plow through the damn thing

FTFY

I too feel like waiting to see how quickly he gets the book after it out. I don't want another unfinished series on my shelf. I was excited to see this a few days ago though.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
Excited to see how they make the "Others". That was a wicked opener in GoT

Exactly there were a few nuggets that won't be resolved until book 6 , which I doubt will ever be released (I doubt this one will ever be released). Oh well, finale to Erikson's Malazan is next month! :scream: (Now if only Glen Cook would write those other 2 black company books he has been putting off due to wanting to finish contract stuff, albeit I am not sure I want to read them at all. I kind of thought he could have stopped after 7 and left it, as a lot of stuff had been revealed. If you haven't read it, it is quite good, it is kind of where Erikson and Martin draw a lot of their non hero character type. Just people.)

See, I read Erikson's Garden's of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates and while they're really good books, the reader is so lost due to lack of background. You're basically dropped in this well established world of turmoil and Erikson expects you to catch on to all the nuances and intricacies as if you've already read 5 books prior to book one. Again, he's BRILLIANT, but he lost me by not giving any background explanation.

EDIT: ALSO, 90+% of the book's cast changed completely from book 1 to 2. If thats the trend, then that just loses me further.

On the other hand, I'm a huge WoT fan (on 2nd re-read) and Sword of Truth fan.

Richie666

Reaction score
FTFY

I too feel like waiting to see how quickly he gets the book after it out. I don't want another unfinished series on my shelf. I was excited to see this a few days ago though.

Haha very true. It's almost painful to think he has two more books to write after this one.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Excited to see how they make the "Others". That was a wicked opener in GoT

See, I read Erikson's Garden's of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates and while they're really good books, the reader is so lost due to lack of background. You're basically dropped in this well established world of turmoil and Erikson expects you to catch on to all the nuances and intricacies as if you've already read 5 books prior to book one. Again, he's BRILLIANT, but he lost me by not giving any background explanation.

EDIT: ALSO, 90+% of the book's cast changed completely from book 1 to 2. If thats the trend, then that just loses me further.

On the other hand, I'm a huge WoT fan (on 2nd re-read) and Sword of Truth fan.

I am just finishing up Esselmonts Stoneweilder (other writer, same world as Erikson) yes you are knee deep in a world, but that to me is what makes it. I like how perspective is only provided through characters and you don't really get any all knowing folks. Keeps you on your toes, knowing the ins and outs of a world beforehand is confining, and mentally separating (you can't be inside, only look in). I don't think he expects you to get it right away, but there are lots of small implication and lines that come up later. The way he ties it all together is reminscent of King in the Dark Tower. The lack of invincable heroes, ala Cook is also something I greatly prefer.

His cast doesn't change, there are just 2-3 groups of characters overall. It tightens up throughout the series, but another gem was each book tells a single story. Something most serial authors (Martin, Jordan, even Cook in the latter Black company) are missing. They don't necessarily wrap up before they decide a book is finished, they just say done for now. You can pretty much read his in any order you want as each tells a single story (except 9/10, which go together).

WoT I have read, until Jordan passed, and not since as I do not plan to read 3 more to finish it. I found the way Jordan writes to be tiring, too descriptive, pages and pages of fluff and little substance. Not to mention his character count spirals out of control and is difficult to keep straight. He let it get too big. SoT I haven't come into as I did not need another high fantasy series at the time (and still don't). From what I gather it borrows even more heavily than Jordan did.

Sounds like you just more interesting in high fantasy overall, which due to its tropes tend to bore me to tears. Martin provides a similar atmosphere but slightly more down to earth, he too borrows from Cook in keeping things at the character level, and avoiding prophecy and such.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
I am just finishing up Esselmonts Stoneweilder (other writer, same world as Erikson) yes you are knee deep in a world, but that to me is what makes it. I like how perspective is only provided through characters and you don't really get any all knowing folks. Keeps you on your toes, knowing the ins and outs of a world beforehand is confining, and mentally separating (you can't be inside, only look in). I don't think he expects you to get it right away, but there are lots of small implication and lines that come up later. The way he ties it all together is reminscent of King in the Dark Tower. The lack of invincable heroes, ala Cook is also something I greatly prefer.

His cast doesn't change, there are just 2-3 groups of characters overall. It tightens up throughout the series, but another gem was each book tells a single story. Something most serial authors (Martin, Jordan, even Cook in the latter Black company) are missing. They don't necessarily wrap up before they decide a book is finished, they just say done for now. You can pretty much read his in any order you want as each tells a single story (except 9/10, which go together).

WoT I have read, until Jordan passed, and not since as I do not plan to read 3 more to finish it. I found the way Jordan writes to be tiring, too descriptive, pages and pages of fluff and little substance. Not to mention his character count spirals out of control and is difficult to keep straight. He let it get too big. SoT I haven't come into as I did not need another high fantasy series at the time (and still don't). From what I gather it borrows even more heavily than Jordan did.

Sounds like you just more interesting in high fantasy overall, which due to its tropes tend to bore me to tears. Martin provides a similar atmosphere but slightly more down to earth, he too borrows from Cook in keeping things at the character level, and avoiding prophecy and such.

Yup, pretty much summed it up. Guess I'm the type of guy that likes something defined.

Ah, well that's cool then (2-3 character groups). Still, I need more definition and absolutes to get into it.

Too many characters was his vice, but the story as a whole is great. Shame you won't finish it since it will be be complete this year. I can understand fatigue though.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Too many characters was his vice, but the story as a whole is great. Shame you won't finish it since it will be be complete this year. I can understand fatigue though.

Books 1-3 were alright, as were 4 and 5. Then everything to 11 was kind of blah to me. It was like after he was done borrowing all his ideas I didn't find his overall story much of interest. Somewhere down the road I may finish it but I don't have much time to read as it is. I have been reading late at night this week for the first time in about a year. Typically I am burned out on reading academic papers.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
Books 1-3 were alright, as were 4 and 5. Then everything to 11 was kind of blah to me. It was like after he was done borrowing all his ideas I didn't find his overall story much of interest. Somewhere down the road I may finish it but I don't have much time to read as it is. I have been reading late at night this week for the first time in about a year. Typically I am burned out on reading academic papers.

To each his own I guess b/c I also LOVED books 5 & 6

Can't agree with you regarding borrowing all his ideas. What are you referring to?

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
To each his own I guess b/c I also LOVED books 5 & 6

Can't agree with you regarding borrowing all his ideas. What are you referring to?

Book 1 = fellowship of the ring, trying to get somewhere while hiding the object (object being Rand in this case)

Book 2 - generic adventure fantasy

Book 3 - King arthur, sword in the stone

Aiel = fremen of dune, but with spears not knives.

Dark lord in his own far away land/prison w/ X number of powerful followers is highly reminiscent of Sauron and the Nazgul.

Dream worlds like his exist even in very early fantasy (can't recall a name right now).

That is just off the top of my head. I am not saying he did not employ them well, I felt when it was time to break out on his own, he lost his umph. Kind of like how Martins early work seems to be a bit similar to English history and their respective warring.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I just started on this series now.. these look like they'll be long and interesting reads. Hopefully by the time I'm caught up he'll have another book out.. I hate waiting for new installments in anything, and with books the wait can be excruciating

Read the first two while I was on holidays.. crushed all 1800(?) pages in about five days. Good books, but I won't be finishing the series.

Richie666

Reaction score
Give the third a try. I'd say it's by far the best... but yeah the whole waiting thing...

I'm still torn on whether I should read this one or not. To wait? Or to see how incredibly badass Jon and Daenerys' stories become?

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Jesus icefishing christ! I've been waiting since 2006 for this. Wow, huge news.

It still feels "unreal" hahaha...

However, I feel like I should wait until the series is complete and start from the beginning again. It's all sort of fading by now

yeah, i'm totally with you there...but i cant wait another 10 years or something until its complete - so instead, i will make a full reread every time a new book is released.

Nonapod

Reaction score
I'm just hoping he still makes the damn July 12 deadline. He keeps posting stuff about the HBO series on his blog and only occasionally mentioning that he finished a chapter or something. Unfortunately at this point I wouldn't be surprised if that date slipped to September... or October... or November... or even next year. He's been almost done for so long I've become very jaded.

klami

Reaction score
I have read "Game of Thrones" and "Clash of Kings", and I really liked them!

I just watched the first episode and thought it was a good adaption! Excited to see how the other episodes turn out! Anyone else seen it?

Latest posts

')