George Martin - A Song Of Ice And Fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Haha yeah, Strong Belwas' absence kinda made me sad too. Interesting that they eschewed the plot line of him masquerading as simply being "Whitebeard," because in the book that reveal kinda coincides with another key plot point.

The best part of the episode, though, and the one that really made you feel it, was when Twyin utterly rebukes Tyrion when he asks for his inheritance. You could just feel the knife in Tyrion's back when that happened.

A good episode, not great, but it sets up a lot, like a season opener in a show like this usually does, and it did it well.

Interesting deviation from the book (granted, not the only one):
In the book, Jon tells Mance that he wants to join the wildings because, being both a bastard and a crow, he'd basically never have the chance to create a legacy. Now in the show he says he wants to join the crows because he resents that the Night's Watch knew that Craster was sacrificing his children to the White Walkers and did nothing.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Meh, I felt like they should have done a bit more with this being the season opener...Just seemed, well, slow for some reason; at least moreso than it should have. And any word for sure that this book is getting split in two or not? I haven't bothered to really look into it.

Having the Red Wedding this season would be something cool to look forward to for sure. :lol:

mod edit: spoiler tags, use some

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Meh, I felt like they should have done a bit more with this being the season opener...Just seemed, well, slow for some reason; at least moreso than it should have. And any word for sure that this book is getting split in two or not? I haven't bothered to really look into it.

Okay, first of all, for your second paragraph, please use spoiler tags. Upcoming major plot point, and all.

Secondly, the pacing is noticeably slower, but I think it's a good thing. Season 2 always felt rushed, and with good reason: they were trying to get through a massive book in too little time. The 2 season split (which has been confirmed for a loooong time now) allows them to be more deliberate in their pacing.

One other thing...

YAAAAY for not having hear Danny yell "WHERE... ARE... MY... DRAGONS!?!?!" every 30 seconds. :rofl:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I guess it's pretty obvious why they didn't try to fit the whole "Whitebeard" thing in. Everyone would have known it was Selmy simply because it was the same actor, whereas in the book, Danny had never met him and Jorah had only been acquainted with him in passing, not having seem him for several years.

Regarding the books, Selmy is always one of my favorite characters there, because he basically serves as a replacement for the spirit of Ned Stark. He's someone who speaks the truth even when people don't want to hear it, but is still an ever-loyal servant to his ruler, who perhaps doesn't truly deserve his devotion all the time.

Last edited:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Really good episode apart from some questionable changes.

The Davos and Stannis was exchange brilliant. They could have added a bit more suspense to Davos being alive dragging his scene on the rock out a minute or two longer.

Charles Dance was amazing. He is going to be incredible this season. I love how they put in his final line from one of Tyrion's POV chapters.

The scenes beyond the wall were terrible imo. They deviated to far from the book for no real reason. What is up with Tormund? He is one of the funniest characters in the book. He didn't even say "HUR HUR!". I understand they have a very limited budget but a bit of fighting at the fist would have been cool.

Astapor looks great! They only shied away from a few of the nasty Unsullied details. I will be epic to see this plot come to the big screen.

All in all pretty damn good. Since last season I've read all the books so this is the first time I've been able to watch it knowing what happens next so like everyone I'm not going to be to happy with big changes.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
The Davos and Stannis was exchange brilliant. They could have added a bit more suspense to Davos being alive dragging his scene on the rock out a minute or two longer.

Personally, I think it started out slow, and Stannis wasn't particularly amazing. It *did* pick up once Melisandre got involved, though. She completely owns both Davos, and the entire scene.

Charles Dance was amazing. He is going to be incredible this season. I love how they put in his final line from one of Tyrion's POV chapters.

Agreed. He was just on fire in his scene with Tyrion. Charles Dance just kills it every time he's on screen.

The scenes beyond the wall were terrible imo. They deviated to far from the book for no real reason. What is up with Tormund? He is one of the funniest characters in the book. He didn't even say "HUR HUR!". I understand they have a very limited budget but a bit of fighting at the fist would have been cool.

I'd say that they were the low point, although they weren't bad per se, because it can never be bad when Rose Leslie is on screen. :lol:

I will admit, the scene with the wight trying to kill Sam wasn't as exciting as it should have been, and that whole scene felt anti-climactic because of how they'd managed to end Season 2 with the whole army of undead.

The fact is though, those battle scenes are super expensive, especially when you get all the CGI involved, which would be a necessity here because the Others are 100% CGI.

Astapor looks great! They only shied away from a few of the nasty Unsullied details. I will be epic to see this plot come to the big screen.

They kind of replaced it with something else, though I'm not sure which is worse. In the episode, they stated that the Unsullied had to take a newborn baby from it's mother and kill it in cold blood to earn their shield. On the flipside, in the book, they have to kill a dog that they themselves raise since they're both young. Nasty business all around.

I did like how they kept in the bits about the slave trader insulting Danny in Ghiscari because he knew that she couldn't understand, good fun. :lol:

There was an article I saw on Reddit earlier today about Peter Dinklage not coming back for Season 4. Gotta love April Fools Day. :lol:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
mod edit: spoiler tags, use some[\QUOTE]

:spock:

Okay, first of all, for your second paragraph, please use spoiler tags. Upcoming major plot point, and all.

I don't understand how it's any more a spoiler than ANYTHING else posted here in regular typeface.

A) None of the involved characters have really been fleshed out in any detail yet, so those only watching the show will have no idea who's wedding it is. They're free to speculate, but being that I didn't say "these people die," I don't see why it should be marked as a spoiler.
B) "Red Wedding" means nothing unless you've read the books, in which case it's not a spoiler. I may as well have said something about the "green goblin;" would've had about the same amount of plot revealed in and of itself.

If people wanted to look it up, that's not my problem as they could simply go read the wiki for the series right now and figure out what I mean. It seems counterproductive to use the spoilers for every mundane thing mentioned....hell even your last paragraph doesn't reveal anything that those watching the show wouldn't know already, thus making it moot to green it out.

Last edited:

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I don't understand how it's any more a spoiler than ANYTHING else posted here in regular typeface.

It's really not that big deal, no need to start one of your arguments in this thread as well ;)

I enjoyed the first episode, started to flesh out the season which is something :lol:

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I'd say that they were the low point, although they weren't bad per se, because it can never be bad when Rose Leslie is on screen. :lol:

I will admit, the scene with the wight trying to kill Sam wasn't as exciting as it should have been, and that whole scene felt anti-climactic because of how they'd managed to end Season 2 with the whole army of undead.

The fact is though, those battle scenes are super expensive, especially when you get all the CGI involved, which would be a necessity here because the Others are 100% CGI.

Yeah, I started reading book 3 after season 2 ended as I just *needed* to continue on with the story, and really found the introductory story about trying to kill Sam very lacking, although I feel what has replaced it to be lacking in a different way, just not having enough information about the scene. Especially with how they'll have to compensate in not talking about him sending the ravens with no messages.
I did like how they kept in the bits about the slave trader insulting Danny in Ghiscari because he knew that she couldn't understand, good fun. :lol:

This I was definitely glad to see, although from watching, it didn't seem like we were lead to believe that she could understand, although I may have missed that. I think a lot of the beauty of that section in the book was that she could understand how awful he was, and I think that further informs later decisions, although I can understand that they don't really need to justify that any further.

I was disappointed we didn't get to see anything in the ship, with Jorah advancing on Danny (I'm sure many would be happy to see the boob action from Danny haha,) with the talk about Dragon history and stunted growth, etc, although that may come in later. That may have come in later in the book anyway, I forget.

Anyway, I'm currently into part 2 of book three, and BIG SPOILER DON'T EVEN DARE
EVERYBODY'S FUCKING DYING. I really hope things pick up from here. I mean, the story is GREAT at the moment, I'm just falling apart inside inside reading all my favourite characters dying. Although Joffrey died a shitty death so that's a plus.

TheDivineWing22

You've got the touch
Reaction score
Just finished the 5th book. Wow. The first two hundred pages or so were slow but it is definitely made up for in the end.

Dance with Dragons Spoilers
I'm going to be so pissed if Jon is really dead. And I'm bummed with how little Bran was in the story.

Winds of Winter can't come soon enough.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Dance of Dragons Spoilers
I'm going to be so pissed if Jon is really dead. And I'm bummed with how little Bran was in the story.

I'm pretty sure he isn't.
My theory is, that (I'm not at my desk currently, so I'll have to make it short) - Jon vargs into Ghost, will be brought back by Mellisandre, is AA reborn.

TheDivineWing22

You've got the touch
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he isn't.
My theory is, that (I'm not at my desk currently, so I'll have to make it short) - Jon vargs into Ghost, will be brought back by Mellisandre, is AA reborn.

I'm thinking you're right.

More book 5 spoilers

There a lot of evidence to support it. The wounds smoking thing,and Melisandre only seeing Jon when she is looking for Stannis.

I still think that he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score

There a lot of evidence to support it. The wounds smoking thing,and Melisandre only seeing Jon when she is looking for Stannis.

I think he definitely is, and that just satisfies some of the conditions of whatever prophecies surround AA.

if he comes back though, doesn't he have to sacrifice someone to make his sword? who might he have left to him that could fill that for him, since Ygritte is already dead and I don't think he moved on to anyone else.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I managed to finish up book 3 over the weekend:
(lots of spoilers, so don't read if you're not caught up on book 3)
So much crazy shit going on. I called it early on that Jon would end up as either Lord of Winterfell or Lord Commander of the Wall, although I figured the latter was more likely, and sure enough it happens. The Red Wedding was seriously fucked up though and should never have happened. Good to see that Catelyn Stark still lives, although she can't speak anymore. I'm curious how Stannis is going to react to the fact that Jon is now Lord Commander and cannot be Lord of Winterfell like he had asked.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
I think he definitely is, and that just satisfies some of the conditions of whatever prophecies surround AA.

if he comes back though, doesn't he have to sacrifice someone to make his sword? who might he have left to him that could fill that for him, since Ygritte is already dead and I don't think he moved on to anyone else.

Book 5 spoilers...
I'm also pretty convinced that Jon is AA. There was too much information throughout his chapters in book 5 that seemed unnecessary at first until you look at it in that light. As far as Lightbringer, I don't think Jon will have to reforge it so he shouldn't have to make a sacrifice on the level that AA did. I'm still not convinced that Lightbringer is a physical object but that's probably discussion for when I've had a few more drinks. Dude needs to hurry up with Winds of Winter!

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score

More book 5 spoilers

Yep:

1.) Smoke - from his wounds
2.) Salt - tears from Bowen Marsh
3.) Bleeding Star - Ser Patrick's - who has a star as his heraldry - body beeing thrown around by the giant

And yes - I'm also pretty sure that R+L=J

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
R + L = J. Worst kept secret in Westeros. :lol:

If Jon is the Azor Ahai or the Kwisatz Haderach or whatever, it would certainly be awkward to reconcile that was his faith in the Old Gods.

')