Get your energy drink out of my alcohol!

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section to post this and if it is then I'll ask the mods to please move it to the appropriate place.

So I was watching my local news earlier tonight and they had a report about alcoholic energy drinks and how the state of Arkansas (where I live) is looking into possibly banning such things and gave a list of states who have already done so. Apparently this is all because of some delta bravo college kids (delta and bravo is military alphabet for the letters d and b and when put together you get "douchebag, anyway...) abuse the fuck out of this shit and have died.

Here is a news article about it that I found online...

http://http://www.usaliveheadlines.com/2386/four-loko-and-other-alcohol-caffeine-drinks-being-banned-in-us.htm

What are you guy's thoughts on this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While I don't care for alcoholic energy drinks, or energy drink in general, as usual the state governments are being completely retarded and over reacting, treating the "symptom" and not the cause.

Okay, ban the alcoholic energy drinks. The kids are just going to buy a bottle of booze and a case of Red Bull.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Link doesn't work for me, but yeah: Fuck Four Loko. LOL LETS PUT A TON OF A DEPRESSANT AND A TON OF A STIMULANT TOGETHER AND MARKET THEM TO STUPID ASS COLLEGE KIDS WHO GOT TIRED OF DOING THE DEW AND BEING EXTREME WHEN THEY DISCOVERED ENERGY DRINKS AND THEN ALCOHOL AND PUT IT IN A BIG ASS CAN :rofl: THIS IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA.

and I'm going to +1 the DB thoughts
While I don't care for alcoholic energy drinks, or energy drink in general, as usual the state governments are being completely retarded and over reacting, treating the "symptom" and not the cause.

Okay, ban the alcoholic energy drinks. The kids are just going to buy a bottle of booze and a case of Red Bull.
+1 this as well. It would make much for sense for everyone to just educate everyone so that nobody is stupid enough to want crap like Four Loko, or to think that drinking 3 or 4 is okay/cool/fun/won't probably end up with your dumbass dying.

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly.

I've done it before, swing by the store on the way to a bar or party and pick up a Redline Energy drink (liquid crack in a bottle) and chug it on the way because it speeds up your metabolism and allows you to drink a ton without ever really getting drunk. Is it exactly safe to do?... probably not, Have others that I know done it?... yes they have, Have I or them ever been hospitalized because of it?... No because we aren't idiots and follow the directions on the bottle.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Caffeinated alcohol is extremely common here in Denmark unfortunately.
We got a beverage company called CULT, that produces 2 very common energydrinks; the cult, and the cult cola. Tastes like a generic energy-drink with apple notes, the other tastes like cola (duuuh).
Now, what the genius company have done, is that they've taken all their stock cult from before the caffeine bar was raised (150mg to 320mg per liter), added pure alcohol until it's equal to a beer, and rebranded it as a "cult shaker".
Kids do not see the "caffeine" part of the shakers, so they just gobble in 5-6 bottles each time they party. That's alot of caffeine for a party-situation.
Making it worse, they've also launched the "mokaï", branded as "divine cider"... I call it liquid meth. Minimal flavor, minimal drinking effort, and can get you soooooo fucked up if not careful, as the alcohol effect is masked completely. I've tasted it, sort of, since the bottle was empty in 10 seconds. o_O

Luckily, it's all treated as a "VagiBeer", since 95% of the drinkers is female. I do like my cult shaker though :lol:

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
Luckily, it's all treated as a "VagiBeer", since 95% of the drinkers is female. I do like my cult shaker though

In the U.S. we refer to the more girly alcoholic drinks as "bitch beer" a la Smirnoff Ice, Mike's Hard Lemonade, etc...

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
I don't get this. Mixing energy drinks and alcohol is so freaking old. I know people that do this since 2006 or something. Now, only because someone had the brilliant idea of mixing the two inside one product, it become "deadly"? Fuck, people die because people are stupid.

AK DRAGON

Guitar Popcicle
Reaction score
I bought a couple when I first got wind of this supposed ban coming. I don't care for Four Loko or Joose. At 12perecnt alcohol they If tare pretty strong and stronger than beer in a can/bottle (Arrogant Bastard I think is the closest at 9percent)

They can overreact and ban them all they want, its not going to stop the kiddies from combining Vodka and energy drinks. Nothing is going to change college culture.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
I don't get this. Mixing energy drinks and alcohol is so freaking old. I know people that do this since 2006 or something. Now, only because someone had the brilliant idea of mixing the two inside one product, it become "deadly"? Fuck, people die because people are stupid.
It's because people does not assossiate the caffeinated VagiBeers (yes, it's my term, live with it) with what's normally known as an energy-drink, like red bull. So they just think it's a cider, nothing more or less. Quite stupid indeed.

Also, in Denmark (and prolly other places too, I'm quite unsure), every single caffeinated alcoholic beverage is labelled as a cider. Cider is fermented fruit pretty much, and is treated like a fermented beverage, even though these ciders are artificial to the core. Thus, they are taxed like if it was a wine or beer, and is cheaper. Cheap, tasty way to get drunk -> teenagers attention.

Etymology:
VagiBeer: (Noun/Adjective)

1) An alcoholic beverage whose sales target or primary consumer is of the female gender
(Example of beverage that fulfills this condition: Cosmopolitan)

2) An alcoholic beverage whose alcoholic content is below 2.5% (5 proof)
(Example of beverage that fulfills this condition: light beer)

3) An alcoholic beverage whose alcoholic taste is masked completely, thus making it very easy to drink
(Example of beverage that fulfills this condition: Cult mokaï)

4) An alcoholic beverage with a very unpleasant taste
(Example of beverage that fulfills this condition: Kefir (do a wikipedia))

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
If you drink energy drinks with liquor you ARE stupid and have what you get coming. It says directly on the goddamn can not to do that sort of thing.

I don't understand how it doesn't click in people's heads that mixing a stimulant with a depressant and taking the entire dose of each at once might fuck you up in more than the figurative sense.

I don't even know about the law, I just wish people weren't stupid enough to mandate discussion about passing one. :lol:

/angry bitter rant

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
^The problem is, that the youngsters forget the caffeine levels of the beverages, and try to get shit-face drunk solely on that type of beverage, because it's either cheaper, faster and/or "safer". The excuses are only hindered by the stupidity and alcohol level of the victim.
Trust me, you can EASILY consume at least 2 liters of that stuff within a short period of time. 640mg of caffeine mixed with 33cl vodka within an hour can really wreak anyone besides the heavy caffeine alcoholic junkie. :lol:

SD83

Reaction score
^The problem is, that the youngsters forget the caffeine levels of the beverages, and try to get shit-face drunk solely on that type of beverage, because it's either cheaper, faster and/or "safer". The excuses are only hindered by the stupidity and alcohol level of the victim.
Trust me, you can EASILY consume at least 2 liters of that stuff within a short period of time. 640mg of caffeine mixed with 33cl vodka within an hour can really wreak anyone besides the heavy caffeine alcoholic junkie. :lol:
What you said + it doesn't taste like vodka/beer/most other alcoholic beverage I know. It tastes like chemical waste with sugar. I don't really mind, for some reasons, 95% of the time I don't feel anything when cosuming caffeeine, and, most important... if they forget the caffeine levels, well, it's their fault. If you forget to brake and crash into the car infront of you, no one wants to ban cars...

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
Apparently people can't be trusted to exercise moderation, so lets let the government take away another freedom. :noplease:

Personally, I don't really care one way or another. I've never had an alcoholic energy drink and they don't appeal to me really. Taking a consumer product off the shelf that would not be dangerous in moderation is just another example of the government telling us they know what's best. One time my friend had about 15 Bud Lights and got pretty sick. It was cheap and easy to drink in massive quantities. Should we ban Bud Light too? (Well, yeah, okay. I'd be fine with a ban on Bud Light, but more on the grounds that it is a horrible excuse for a beer).

I guess I just don't like the government stepping in and restricting our options because some people are idiots. Same thing with the trans fat ban. I'm all about reducing obesity/heart disease, but can't we do something to educate people better rather than just start taking things away?

Daggorath

-.-
Reaction score
Anything can be dangerous if it is misused. Sacrifice the freedoms of normal people to save those who're doing us all a favour by removing themselves from the gene pool? Hmm, yeah sure.

There is a drink in Scotland called Buckfast that has been cited as a cause for lots of anti-social behaviour. Basically the only people who drink it are those who want to get leathered for as cheap as possible.

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
I think this whole thing is stupid, alcohol on it's own is ok, energy drinks on their are ok but by god if you combine the 2 then all hell breaks loose, it's like the same as bleach being perfectly ok on it's own, same with amonia but holy shit balls if you combine the 2 then it's deadly, so taking their logic by banning energy drinks then they might as well ban alcohol just as bleach and amonia or any other combination of materials that can be deadly when mixed together.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Originally, most of these soft drinks available in the USA were intended for medicinal use. Root beer and ginger ale were fermented pharmacy overstock carelessly left in barrels (the originals were alcoholic-true to their names), coca-cola was made with coca leaves, and dr. pepper was made out of some bizzare jungle herbs...

As these products reached the mainstream, they became artificial flavors mixed with carbonated sugar water, but eventually the need for energy drinks like the original colas resurfaced, so we got red bull etc. People will always abuse drugs, especially when a drug is marketed as a food or beverage.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^Amen. If there's one thing human beings will always strive to do, it's to get really "fucked up."

Daggorath

-.-
Reaction score
Many people, including myself, enjoy caffeine in a responsible way. People have been drinking coffee with and without alcohol for many generations, without wanting to get "fucked" up. Many food products can be bad for you if you drink/eat them to excess. Chocolate is actually poisonous, and foods containing high amounts of artificial flavourings, sugar, salt and saturated fat kill many more people a year in a slightly less sensationalised way.

You could try and protect people from everything, and yes the figures for people who die/suffer from such things would decrease. But that doesn't mean that it would be conducive to our freedom or liberty.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
There is a drink in Scotland called Buckfast that has been cited as a cause for lots of anti-social behaviour. Basically the only people who drink it are those who want to get leathered for as cheap as possible.
Most horrible drink I've ever heard about! According to wiki, the brown-bottle contains caffeine in a 55mg/100ml concentration. A red bull is 32mg/100ml! Plus 15% alcohol...

Holy fuck.