Getting a 7, and need advice

• Thread starter cmtd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
I definitely second the Agile recommendation.

Really nice guitars, brand new, for a reasonable price point!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cmtd

Reaction score
what are the necks on the agiles like? I was looking over the Septors last night, and was pretty interested in them

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
what are the necks on the agiles like? I was looking over the Septors last night, and was pretty interested in them

The necks arent quite "wizard" status, but they are thin and fast. Everything very easily accessible.

Their finished super smooth and generally the frets are nicely dressed.

I will say (from my 8 string experience with agile...) the nut width is a bit bigger than say the ibanez... But i personally like the string spacing. I dont like strings too close. Just check those specs to see if its within your liking.

I promise you wont regret it if you end up going the Agile route. Especially for the $$ spent to test the waters.

Good luck and good hunting!

Knight Elijah

Reaction score
+1 for the schecters are baseball bats. I have a hellraiser C-7 and it was my first 7. I love it but damn Daniel, it's hard to shred on. Also probably because the scale length is close to 27"

Comparitavely I have an Ibanez Iron Label 7 and the wizard neck is so nice and accessible

Reaction score
Anything MIJ, Jacksons, Schecter SLS, stay around the $750 if buying new.
26.5 scale for preference :p

Hogie34

Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe 500-700? I'd go closer to the $700 on the price some if I found something special. I just don't want to go for a really high end guitar until I get the feel for the 7s and know more what I would want. But then I'm used to playing pretty nice 6 strings, and I don't want to get something that is cheap and sounds mediocre that could turn me off from the 7.

I'm liking some of the LTD's and Ibanez that have been mentioned. Ive heard some good sounding schecters, but not sure if I want to go that route or not, Im currently selling the couple of schecters I have.

I'd prefer fixed bridge, don't want a floyd
Neck through or bolt on doesn't matter
Prefer ebony fretboard
Prefer direct mount pickups (but not a deal breaker)
I'd like a bigger fretboard radius

Just a few things I'm looking at while trying to decide

I've seen more guys get turned off from 7's by going the cheaper route "to see if they like them". They always end up with a hard to play, cheap guitar with bad pickups etc and say screw that and go back to 6's.

I've been playing for 30 some years and my first 7 in late '89 fortunately was a '88 Jem 77FP so it was an easy transition. Been playing them ever since. Not saying look at how long I've been playing but simply saying I've been playing them this long cause I started on a good one. I've played some really bad ones since then too :lol:

Some great new guitars can be had for $600-$700 but even better used can be had for that much. I can almost guarantee if you start on something like a good condition used KM7 etc, you'll enjoy playing a 7 . You'll also be able to get your money back if you decided you don't like playing a 7 and resell it. Buy a lower end and you'll take it in the back side if you decide to dump it and stick with 6's.

Just my :2c:

cmtd

Reaction score
I've seen more guys get turned off from 7's by going the cheaper route "to see if they like them". They always end up with a hard to play, cheap guitar with bad pickups etc and say screw that and go back to 6's.

I've been playing for 30 some years and my first 7 in late '89 fortunately was a '88 Jem 77FP so it was an easy transition. Been playing them ever since. Not saying look at how long I've been playing but simply saying I've been playing them this long cause I started on a good one. I've played some really bad ones since then too :lol:

Some great new guitars can be had for $600-$700 but even better used can be had for that much. I can almost guarantee if you start on something like a good condition used KM7 etc, you'll enjoy playing a 7 . You'll also be able to get your money back if you decided you don't like playing a 7 and resell it. Buy a lower end and you'll take it in the back side if you decide to dump it and stick with 6's.

Just my :2c:

I agree with you 100%, and this is precisely what I am trying to avoid.

Whats the neck profile on the KM7 like? I tend to prefer flatter/skinnier necks. Years ago I tried a cheap 7s at a guitar center and the neck was so fat & wide that I immediately disliked it. I have pretty big hands, but I wrap my thumb over the top of the neck alot.

I really appreciate everyones input, since I can't really go down and try any of these guitars out at a shop near me.

I'm kind of narrowing it down to:

Ibanez 7621
Agile Septor Elite
The KM7 looks great too (dependent if the neck isn't super thick).
Solar 170c

I really liked the LTD AW-7 specs as well, but the pickguard is a pretty big turnoff for me. Cosmetics, I realize, but how a guitar looks has always been pretty important to me.

Hogie34

Reaction score
Here's the radius specs etc on the KM7
26.5" scale
Frets
24 X-Jumbo Stainless Steel

Fretboard Radius
12”-16” Compound Radius

Neck Shape
Ultra Thin ‘C’

Thickness
@ 1st Fret- .748” (19mm)/ @ 12th Fret- .787” (20mm)

Nut Width
1.889” (48mm)

Nut
Graph Tech XL Black Tusq
Truss Rod
2-Way Adjustable Rod w/ 5/32” (4mm) Allen Nut
Bridge Pickup
Seymour Duncan Nazgul

chemicalcauses

Reaction score
My first attempt at a 7 string was an Agile with fanned frets. All around it felt and looked terrible. I returned it within two weeks. I ended up with an Ibanez Iron Label RG and swapped the stock EMG's for some Seymour Duncan's and I love it. Pretty soon I'll be swapping the bridge, tuners, etc out for black rather than gold.

This is basically mine but with a different finish;
Ibanez Iron Label RG Series RGIX27FESM 7-String Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Latest posts

')