Getting a 7, and need advice

• Thread starter cmtd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cmtd

Reaction score
I have about 14 six strings, have been playing for about 20 years and I want to finally get a 7.

I'm selling off a few of my cheaper guitars/or trading to get my first 7.

I'm used to playing pretty decent six strings (Gibson, ESP, Fender, etc). So I'm not sure how I'd feel playing a cheap 7 to see if I like it.

I've had a guy offer me a LTD M207 for my old schecter c1 elite.

I find the Ibanez model numbers absolutely mind boggling to figure out, and get lost pretty quickly. I've owned Ibanez 6s, and I liked the wizard type necks.

Whats a recommendation for a decent entry to 7s guitar? In a perfect world, I'd love to go get a Jackson Juggernaut, but I can't justify spending that kind of money without ever owning a 7. I don't mind swapping pickups, but I don't think I'd be happy with a cheap entry level guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asphyxia

Reaction score
Schecter Blackjack SLS, neck is similar to Ibanez.
They have an active or passive model.
You can find them on sale sometimes around $700.

Reaction score
Go 2nd hand on a MIJ Ibanez RG7420 or RG7421. If you can get your hands on an 7620, better yet.

These are excellent guitars for their value. Start with those, not much money to burn and lots of fum to get from them. Can't go wrong...

Jano

Reaction score
Go 2nd hand on a MIJ Ibanez RG7420 or RG7421. If you can get your hands on an 7620, better yet.

These are excellent guitars for their value. Start with those, not much money to burn and lots of fum to get from them. Can't go wrong...

Agree, also (on limited budget) the RG7321 its a good option (a bit older than the 7421)

7 strings LTDs are very good too.

If you like the wizard neck go Ibanez or LTD, if you want to have a baseball bat, go for Schecter (with respect).

Good luck on your search

RuiNs777

Reaction score
Get a Schecter JL-7. One of the new models, with the better access. You won't regret it. You can buy them used for around $600-700

cmtd

Reaction score
Get a Schecter JL-7. One of the new models, with the better access. You won't regret it. You can buy them used for around $600-700

The specs are nice on the guitar, but I can't do those cross inlays, and I only do maple boards on strats.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
Depending on the scale length you want to work with. I would recommend the 1000 series ltds for a 25'5 scale or the KM-7 for a 26'5. They will run you pretty cheap and they are decent guitars. If you want to spend a little more I highly recommend a bare bones jp7, and if you don't jive with it, they have great resale value.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
+1 on the RG7421/7321

excellent guitars for a first 7 string.
the LTD AW7 is also an absolute monster of a guitar and is not very expensive. also i like its neck better than the ibbyz

cmtd

Reaction score
I looked into that AW-7. I like the ebony board, and that it has d-activators in it already. That is up there on my list.

Whats the opinion on the LTD SC-607B?

Bforber

Reaction score
7 string LTDs are pretty good, imo. I have an old cockstock H-207 and I love it even though it's been beat to .....

How much are you looking to spend?

cmtd

Reaction score
7 string LTDs are pretty good, imo. I have an old cockstock H-207 and I love it even though it's been beat to .....

How much are you looking to spend?

I'm thinking maybe 500-700? I'd go closer to the $700 on the price some if I found something special. I just don't want to go for a really high end guitar until I get the feel for the 7s and know more what I would want. But then I'm used to playing pretty nice 6 strings, and I don't want to get something that is cheap and sounds mediocre that could turn me off from the 7.

I'm liking some of the LTD's and Ibanez that have been mentioned. Ive heard some good sounding schecters, but not sure if I want to go that route or not, Im currently selling the couple of schecters I have.

I'd prefer fixed bridge, don't want a floyd
Neck through or bolt on doesn't matter
Prefer ebony fretboard
Prefer direct mount pickups (but not a deal breaker)
I'd like a bigger fretboard radius

Just a few things I'm looking at while trying to decide

Jano

Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe 500-700? I'd go closer to the $700 on the price some if I found something special. I just don't want to go for a really high end guitar until I get the feel for the 7s and know more what I would want. But then I'm used to playing pretty nice 6 strings, and I don't want to get something that is cheap and sounds mediocre that could turn me off from the 7.

I'm liking some of the LTD's and Ibanez that have been mentioned. Ive heard some good sounding schecters, but not sure if I want to go that route or not, Im currently selling the couple of schecters I have.

I'd prefer fixed bridge, don't want a floyd
Neck through or bolt on doesn't matter
Prefer ebony fretboard
Prefer direct mount pickups (but not a deal breaker)
I'd like a bigger fretboard radius

Just a few things I'm looking at while trying to decide

what about a Solar 170C?

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
keep in mind, that if you DO get an RG7xxx, you will most likely need to change the pickups in order to get a decent idea of the guitar. stock pickups blow giraffe's dick. I almost got rid of mine because "it sounded horrible" but decided to change the pickups first (to some random dimarzios i found on craigslist), and it was black and white difference really.
The whole guitar is super solid, but the electronics suck. keep that in mind.

the AW7 is straight up bitchin stock. honestly just get one of those :lol:

Reaction score
Well, on that price range, allow me to suggest the new S7s on the Ibanez catalogue, the S7421 or the S iron label ones... mahogany is KING :hbang:

A good setup on these, and you have a work horse guitar for your life.

Kevp714

Reaction score
Have you taken a look at Agile? They fit right in your price range, are great quality, and have the options you are looking for. I picked one up a while back and was very impressed.

gogolXmogol

Reaction score
Schecter JL-7 or KM-7, blackjacks, etc. LTD 607B or 1007 models are your best shot. The 200 series is too cheap to consider imo.

Sean1197

Reaction score
I have about 14 six strings, have been playing for about 20 years and I want to finally get a 7.

I'm selling off a few of my cheaper guitars/or trading to get my first 7.

I'm used to playing pretty decent six strings (Gibson, ESP, Fender, etc). So I'm not sure how I'd feel playing a cheap 7 to see if I like it.

I've had a guy offer me a LTD M207 for my old schecter c1 elite.

I find the Ibanez model numbers absolutely mind boggling to figure out, and get lost pretty quickly. I've owned Ibanez 6s, and I liked the wizard type necks.

Whats a recommendation for a decent entry to 7s guitar? In a perfect world, I'd love to go get a Jackson Juggernaut, but I can't justify spending that kind of money without ever owning a 7. I don't mind swapping pickups, but I don't think I'd be happy with a cheap entry level guitar.

iron label rg/s 7 or a jackson soloist

')