Getting a meshuggah tone

• Thread starter CAPTAIN SARG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

toolsound

Reaction score
7 or 8 string guitar.
Lundgren M7 or M8 pickups.
Some kind of Line 6 amp. I wanna say they used Vetta II's on the latest album.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
7 or 8 string guitar.
Lundgren M7 or M8 pickups.
Some kind of Line 6 amp. I wanna say they used Vetta II's on the latest album.

2 points I want to make:

1) I've never seen anyone get anywhere close to Meshuggah on a Spider- though a lot of peopel seem to get excellent results with PODs
2) they used to use DiMarzio Blaze pickups before they got the M8's. Apparently on Frederik Thordenal's Special Defects- Sol Niger Within CD he has those in there, and has some kickass excellent tone (most definitely meshuggah).

Helps to have a baritone scale neck as well. Their 8's are 30"

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
They use pretty light strings too.

Talking a Low B of .052....do the math.

Learn the meaning of DJENT

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
52 for B (or Bb in their case) really isn't all that light considering they're working with a 30" scale. I use a 52 for B on a 25.5" scale. I'm sure their strings are quite a bit tighter.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
well, they use 52s NOW, yeah, cos they're on 30" 8s! But they used to use 25.5" 7s, which they used 9-60s on.

Getting a 'meshuggah' tone has now become quite a vague question really, seeing as they have such a huge back catalogue of tones, it evolves with every album. My favourite is obzen though, it's the most organic i feel, ironically enough seeing as they're using line6 gear now :lol:

so, which album's tone were you aiming for?

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
well, they use 52s NOW, yeah, cos they're on 30" 8s! But they used to use 25.5" 7s, which they used 9-60s on.

Getting a 'meshuggah' tone has now become quite a vague question really, seeing as they have such a huge back catalogue of tones, it evolves with every album. My favourite is obzen though, it's the most organic i feel, ironically enough seeing as they're using line6 gear now :lol:

so, which album's tone were you aiming for?

They've always used .052.

I remember reading a GW interview when they used to do a artist column (when GW was still decent) and they had a article about their rigs, guitars, tone etc.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Not to mention that GuitarGeek site is wrong A LOT, and he said he got that info off another site....

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i suggest you try to forge an orginal tone instead of the same tone a billion guys are after :lol:

True....unless you're deliberately covering their material. Then trying to do it with a different tone is pointless and sounds off.

')