Getting a new amp and guitar but don't know what

• Thread starter CyanideOverkill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have saved something about $2000 and I want to get a new Electric Guitar and Amp.
Actually I had the idea to spend $1500 on the Guitar and $500 on amp. (and maybe save more $100 to buy a new distortion unit, something like Digitech Metal Master, I already have a Zoom G1M Multi-effect)
But I am so worried about getting a new Guitar! I don't want something that later I won't like to play it.
I play bands like Machine Head (90% of the week) , Metallica, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Judas Priest...
I want a guitar that sounds heavy enough... I was thinking of something with EMG Pickups.
If the guitar has 24XJ Frets it would be awesome! I want V or Explorer shape. (and les paul does not matter either I guess)
I want to perform live with my new Guitar...
I usually change tunings a lot.
I want a comfortable neck.I won't have the chance to test the Guitar before buying it cause I want to tell my friend to bring it for me from South Africa. Where I am Guitars are sooo damn expensive.
I was thinking of these:

1. Gibson Explorer Black with White Pickup Guard (and later install EMGs on it)
2. Gibson Flying V
3. Jackson Phil Demmel King V (I've heard many good things about this one, it has EMG 81-60, 24XJ Frets, the only problem is Floyd Rose, my friend said I can use Tremol-No! Does it really work?)
4. LTD EC1000

What do you suggest me to buy?
P.s: I don't want ibanez.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Invest more in the amp. You could get a V for 1k, and a decent amp for 1k, and you're good to go.

What's wrong with a Floyd Rose? As long as its setup right and you have the brain power to adjust it properly, its a great tool to have.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
There is some LTD V's that are string thru, sometimes have emgs and are 24 XJ, or some Jackson equivalent. Most likely just have to change the pickups.

Reaction score
Spend more on the AMP definitely. Of all the guitars you listen, ESP LTD EC-1000 I would imagine would have the best tone. If you are needing to get another distortion pedal, Ibanez Tubescreamer no doubt. And as for an amp suggestion, GET SOME TUBES. Peavey makes good tube combo amps. I have the VK212 100watt and it's pretty sick.

6string40

Reaction score
Definitely spend more on the amp. Check the used market...the economy sucks right now and the deals that can be had are ridiculous.

You should be able to grab an ESP or Schechter with EMGs/Blackouts for no more than $600-$700, then look into a nice used tube amp. You can swing a used Mesa in the $900-$1200 territory or a 5150 for even less, then grab a used cab for around $300-$400.

simulclass83

Reaction score
For me the best combination is a guitar that feels right and an amp that sounds right.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
If I were in your place, I would suggest buying used to save some more cash, plus you can try it before you buy it if it's local

LTD EC-330
LTD V-401FM
ESP V-II (looks really awesome)

Peavey 6505+
TS9
ISP Decimator
Mesa Boogie Oversized 4x12, Marshall MF280 (or MF400) or Vader 4x12

Reaction score
I really don't like ESP V's.
I checked MANY guitars, all the Schecters, ESPs, Jacksons, Gibsons, Deans, DBZs, PRS, Gretsch....and the only Guitars I liked were the ones that I said in the first post.
And the one that I like the most is: Jackson Phil Demmel King V
has anyone ever tested it ?
+ I don't want to buy used guitar
about the amp I read the posts and now I know what to get.... But about the guitar... I am still confused....
Can I get the Phil Demmel King V and install a Tremol-No ? Will it work good? I want to gig with the guitar and I will need to change tunings a lot but the Phil Demmel King V has a floyd rose, So I thought Tremol-No may solve my problem. (Tremol-No™)
I really can't get my mind off the Gibson Explorer and Jackson Phil Demmel King V.... They look so damn sick (well at least in my opinion).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You need a guitar thread and an amp thread. Spend $1200 on an amp and $800 on a guitar and you will have a killer setup.

What guitars Can you try?

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
I would suggest spending more on your amp than the guitar, but then again, most of the time I play a prestige Ibby through a POD. :shrug:

Reaction score
prices are different for me here...
The prices for the guitars in the
store that I want to buy from are:

Jackson Phil Demmel King V =
$2310
Gibson Explorer = $1810
LTD EC1000 = Full Retail: $1765 ,
Cash Price: $1386
Gibson Flying V = $1810

I've heard many good things about EC1000, But I want a cool metal looking guitar.... So the Explorer is amazing I guess....
The Jackson would be my first choice but it's damn expensive and I won't be able to get a good amp if I get the Jackson! Is it important to get a 1k for home practice?

Vinchester

Reaction score
As OP said he likes to change tunings, getting a guitar with fixed bridge would make his life much simpler. (or else - several guitars with floyds on different tunings!)

For a Jackson V, Try the RR5T. It has a fixed bridge, neck-through, and much cheaper than that signature stuff.

About that LTD Eclipse, make sure you are okay with the neck and the upper fret access. It can be hard shredding above fret 16. If you're fine with that then the EC1000 will serve you well. ALTHOUGH I'd still recommend you put a bit more money into it and buy a ESP Eclipse instead of the LTD.

Personally I find Gibson V to be very crude and unrefined in both design and construction. If you're fine with that then its all good, but I'd suggest Jackson over Gibson V.

Reaction score
Everyone says that the neck LTD EC1000 has a VERY comfortable neck!
By the way why no one talks about Gibson Explorer ??? Isn't it really a great guitar and better than EC1000???

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
I bought my EC-1000 because it felt better than the Gibsons and epiphones I played at shops. The fret-access is fine down to the 24th fret and the neck is a smooth thin C shape (mine was, at least.)

It didn't have all the finish flaws that some of the Gibsons had, either. (uneven binding, poorly fitted inays.)

I sold after a couple of years, though. I'm a bolt-on superstrat guy, go figure. :shrug:

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Where a guitar was made does not, by any means, dictate its playability or quality. The Chinese-made Ibanezes (sp? what the hell is the plural of Ibanez?) like the ART500 have a lot of attention to detail and good fretwork. Korean-made guitars like Agile are quite nice. I would personally take a Made In Japan over a USA model almost any day.
Indonesia is what I would look out for, though.

EDIT:
2,000th post. :coffee: I spend too much time on this site...

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Why are you asking us to not recommend the LTD? Get the Gibson if you want to. If it's what you actually want then you aren't going to be happy with the LTD anyway.

')