Getting an ONI made.

• Thread starter petrucci_dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone owns an ONI and if so if they can tell me what they think of these fine machines.

I've contacted Dan and I'm just about to lay down some form of deposit in the next week I'd say. I trust Dan, but this will all be a trial and error (hopefully no error, I have faith in him :p) thing seeing as I've never played one before!

So if you own one or have played one, what do you think?

Cheers,

Scott D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
Very cool dude!

I'd love to own an Oni someday (also something made by elysian) to show my support!

Sorry, this didn't really help you :).

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think only two members here (Aside from Dan) have played an Oni. So the pickings are slim for opinions on the playability ;)

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
Hehe..

That's alright. I'm still gunna get one I just want to know what they are like that's all. I think Dan will do a great job.

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
Don't know just yet!

I'll post them when I let Dan know exactly what I want. I'm on a budget too so it's not going to be too lavish. :p

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
how much are you looking to spend? I was quoted 2k shipped for a simple guitar but I'm looking for something a bit different now.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
:yesway:

Sweet, I'll get another email off to you later, Scott. The guys here to talk to would be Papa Shank, TMM, and God Hand Apostle.

To clear things up, what I'd offered JPMDan for the US$2k was basically the most simple 7 possible -- standard non-fanned frets, standard fixed bridge, basic woods.
Unfortunately everything here costs more so I have higher materials costs than US luthiers (in some cases significantly so). At this early stage I'm willing to lose out to some degree for the first few customers as I need to get some instruments out there and get some rep...but I do need to cover costs.
Oh yeah, for those who don't know - although Oni is new, I've been doing this kind of thing as an employee of someone else for almost a decade so I do know what I'm doing ;)

* dpm would love to be able to quit that job soon and get Oni happening full-time

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
Sweet as man!

Yeah I just got half the payment for my 7 that I'm selling just today. Other half next week. Depending on how much I work in the next few months teaching I might be able to order the sickest 7 I can get. :p

*prays for more students to pop on by*

Haha, I'm handing out flyers locally soon, something which i've never done so that will hopefully get me a few students! And the local guitar school closed down so I'm one of the only locals doing it! WOOHOO.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd just like add that I've seen pictures of some of Dan's work and it's all top notch. When I've got the funds for my custom 7 string again (if expensive things don't keep cropping up!) Oni's at the top of the list.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
There are mine and TMM's review of it in the Gear Review section, I'll sum it up here though
-Dan built exactly the instrument I described.
-Dan also did as good a job of it as I can imagine possible.
-Dan will hopefully build me another Oni by the end of the year if my finances are in order.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks James! Although I'll be the first to say that pictures don't mean much, it's only when you get a close look at a guitar that you can really judge it. The first thing I look at on expensive guits is the fretwork, it's just so important......hang on, I'm starting to rant........

Edit : And thanks Paul!

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Seriously Dan, if that UV hadn't come up I'd have sent an e-mail to you about getting an Oni 7. Still, fingers crossed I can shift some more stuff and save up some cash before too much longer.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Bah, UV's :rolleyes: j/k
Actually, I'm interested to here how you go with Feline and the UV. He seems to be one of the few guys around who really knows his stuff as a tech, but I can only go by what I've read on the internet.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well I've got it on good reccomendation that he's excellent at fixing broken trem studs. 7 Dying Tree's had one done by him before. I also had a chance to look round his workshop. He's got some nice guitars in progress, including a 7 string SG with a flame maple top. He's got a very functional but nice leftie 7 with a mahogany body, maple neck, ebony (I think) board with offset dots and a single EMG that he made as a show piece.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
As one of the two afforementioned SS.org Oni guitar owners, I can say with confidence that your guitar will be of extremely high quality, and likely the nicest guitar you've ever played. Dan's attention to detail is second to none that I've seen, and the Oni-8 that I had was absolutely flawless. Let us know what sort of options your getting!

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
as far as what Im thinking

Woods

Top - Flame Blackwood
Neck - Walnut
Wings - Not sure thinking about mahogany.
Fingerboard - Pau Ferro, Ebony or Maple. No Inlays

Pickups

Bridge: Bare Knuckle Miracle Man
Neck: Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat
Pickup Swtich: 3 way Toggle
Controls: 1 vol no tone possible Killswitch

Hardware

Tuners - Grover
Frets - Stainless Steel Jumbo
Bridge - Floyd Rose Recessed Cavity equipped with Tremol-no
Buttons - Dunlop Straplocks
Strings - custom set from juststrings.com