Getting better at playing while standing up

• Thread starter thedonutman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thedonutman

Reaction score
I've noticed that I can't play leads very well while standing up. (Can't really play leads anyway :D) Even with my strap high up like JP/Tom Morello, It seems that the guitar is angled differently somehow, which makes it very hard to play. The only way I can get close enough to the control I get sitting down is to rest a leg on something.

I don't see how guys like Nuno can play with their guitars this low and still be able to shred.

53282262.jpg

But like I said, I can't really play with my strap higher either.
841092494_05a425d42d.jpg

Anyone got any tips/tricks for improving technique in the standing position? Is there a standing equivalent of the classical guitar position? Other than the obvious practise-more-while-standing-up.

"Play in whatever position is comfortable" isn't really working either, since nothing is very comfortable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DefinedInSilere

Reaction score
I think you basically covered your question in alot of ways, it really takes time getting used to. Look at the angle of your wrists when your in a comfortable sitting position, then adjust to get that angle while standing up. You could also do the old prop the guitar on your thigh area and shred tactic.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed:

1.) Find a monitor

2.) Put your foot on it

Yep. Monitor standing works great. I learned by copying the best:
maiden-steve2.jpg

nobody monitor-stands like steve harris. Its gotten to the point where i have to habitually put my foot on something when im playing standing up :lol:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I recently got an angled pedal board that's made by Gator, it also works great as a monitor replacement.

')