Getting more from DFH

Lennytron

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wasn't sure whether to post in here or in the Recording etc area - but I think this is quite a nooby question so I thought I'd tread the safe ground.

I use Cubase 5 for my DAW and have a Line 6 POD X3 bean - I use DFH for programming my drums but the sound is so flat and boring.

How can I get a better sound? I dont really know what compression does and I have only a limited grasp of EQ.

Anyone able to help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lennytron

Reaction score
Wow - im already struggling.

I would be running it mono as I havent selected anything to say otherwise and it comes through in mixes as mono

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Remember to check that you've got the note velocity relatively high for most of the time (at least kick & snare for heavy parts). Work on the dynamics and accents & fills after you've done the basic structure of the beat.

Edit: make sure the track is stereo already when you're creating it for the instrument (DFH in this case). Can't be more detailed as I don't use Cubase but I guess there is a mono/stereo option. Might be available after creating the track as well.

Lennytron

Reaction score
I go through the midi map and alter and slightly randomise the velocity to humanise it a little but beyond that the drum sounds sound so plain. A friend (sadly I rarely see him and hes not into facebook etc) mentioned about 'multiout-ing' the dfk track? so therefore I could eq individually?

')