Getting Started on Recording? Cool Freeware Multitrack Program

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

TMatt142

vagitarian
Reaction score
I'm with you Steve on Reaper. From all the people I've seen on HR.com, a lot on there use Reaper. Even one of Reapers originators frequently visits the site to help out. Sounds to me like the most powerful and user-friendly recording program out there....especially for only what....a $50.00 donation? As soon as my harddrive gets here...It's Reaper all the way...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
I also bought Reaper some time ago, and I highly recommend it! We made a small order of around 13 people, and got some discount from the (already low) price, so I got it for €27. Not bad, and it's honestly very good.

ephriamiv7

Reaction score
audacity help

i wan tto run each of my mics through my mixer as spereate tracks and i figured it out and my snare is on one track tom1 is on the cecond but some are saying on the snare trackis it the panning on my mixer??? im runnony a yamaha mixerwith a usb interface

audacity can record multiple tracks at a time...
help me PM!

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I've got kristal but i've only got on board sound, and it records crapy, is there any way around that??
No. Onboard sound isn't designed for low latency, and the drivers aren't optimised for it. Plus, the input is normally for a rubbish microphone, as that's all it needs to do, it's not good enough for recording.

Best off to get a USB card or a firewire one, 2 in, 2 out, and use that, you'll find the inputs can take line/mic level, and it'll sound way better.

PTI

Reaction score
KRISTAL Audio Engine

Really, if you want to learn how to record, there's no substitute for actually going out and doing it and getting hands on experience. The problem is, most good multitrack software out there is kind of pricey. Very pricey, in fact, and prohibitive to the average beginner who wants to get his feet wet, but certainly isn't ready to fork over $500 on a whim just to see what digital audio recording is like.

I can't remember where I first saw this program, but it was a home recording forum somewhere. I haven't personally given it a run myself, but the specs are good on paper and what feedback I've heard from users has been positive. And, best of all, it's free.

So, if digital recording is something you've been curious about, but never tried, grab your guitar and SM-57, then download this application and start browsing the forums here for tips on how to tweak your mixes. :metal:

I use Kristal for every recording that I do and I cannot fault it, For FREE SOFTWARE its unreal !! Has anyone got any recent samples that they have using Kristal ?

Cheers,

Paul

The line-in is blue usually, mic is pink, and speakers are green.

I plug my podxt into my comp with a guitar cable. You need a big-to-small jack on one end though, whack the big end in ur Pods left or right line-out, and then the small end into ur computer's line-in.

Thats the best way to do it, although if you like using your amp get yourself a nice mixer .. (dosent have to be too expensive;Even if you own an old anolog or digital 4 track that will do the trick) and mic up your cab with the mixer / whatever you have - take the line out from the mixer/whatever unit you have and hook it into your input on your PC and you are ready to rock !!

RenegadeDave

Huge nerd
Reaction score
A reaper tutorial would be brilliant, because I have it and can use it for VERY basic recording, but I've no clue what I'm doing.

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
Have anyone tried Ubuntu Studio with Ardour 2? It seems to be pretty much like pro tools.. but free :D

I have tried Ardour in regular Ubuntu, but for the life of me could not get my audio card to work at any kind of decent latency. And no matter what I did it wouldn't record. But I would love to get it working. That's the last thing keeping me with Windows.

By the way, all you Mac users - Ardour is free and works on Macs!

Rayvegg

The HUman Metronome
Reaction score
Head over to eBay and pick up a cheap Mbox 2. I got mine for £110 (bargain) but they're usually around £150, which even on the smallest budget could be saved for in a few months. That way, you also get the industry standard Pro Tools and plenty of trial and demo software which can be used indefinetely thanks to the Ignition Pack. :flame:

It works on XP, Mac OSX and Vista (Vista requires v7.4) But come on, if youre serious about this once youve tried free stuff out, you cant go wrong!

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I just picked up a Pod Studio ux2, and I'm using Reaper. Although I have no clue what I am doing, it seems like a rather easy DAW to work with.

If anybody has any tips or tricks for recording with Reaper please let me know, all I have done so far is record 2 guitar tracks, wahoo!

drunkuilled

Ssstuvz
Reaction score
sorry, stupid question probably, but Pod XT has a USB connection, which actually works pretty well (at least on pod x3) and I have no problems with latency. Why bother using a line in of the sound card when one can just use a usb connection? The sound is not changed, is it?

The line-in is blue usually, mic is pink, and speakers are green.

I plug my podxt into my comp with a guitar cable. You need a big-to-small jack on one end though, whack the big end in ur Pods left or right line-out, and then the small end into ur computer's line-in.

SomeChump

Just a Chump
Reaction score
I've been using the UX1 with guitar Rig for a while now, I think it's decent. It will do what you want it to do. I just use a lot of Post Processing Effects to get it to sound good.

xenophist

Reaction score
sorry, stupid question probably, but Pod XT has a USB connection, which actually works pretty well (at least on pod x3) and I have no problems with latency. Why bother using a line in of the sound card when one can just use a usb connection? The sound is not changed, is it?
I was wondering about this as well.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
i use a toneport ux2 and i think theyre awesome. very easy to use and you can get some killer tones out of it. if you wanna hear some tones you can get you can visit the line6 website and they have diffeent tones on there so you can get an idea of what you're able to get out of it.

rfahey86

Reaction score
To answer your question about an interface. I have a Lexicon Omega and it works great for the most part. You can get it for 199.00 with cubase software. Lexicon also has less expensive products as well not sure if they come with the DAW tho. Ive currently use it with Sonar 8, but I've lent it to friends and they've used it with Logic, and cubase 5 as well.