Getting Started on Recording? Cool Freeware Multitrack Program

crissmichaels

Insane Mix Engineer
Reaction score
So what do you all think of machine recording as compared to computer software recording?

When I say machine recording, i refer to something like the Boss BR-1200CD Digital Recording Studio
or something along those lines?
what is the pros and cons of each?

So far, I've had pretty good luck using a machine to record. I'll load the tracks to my computer for mixing (Cool Edit Pro) and mastering (FL Studio 8 - Torrent), but as long as it records without too many problems, I'll use it.

Recently, a friend gave me an MAudio MBOX to use. I've only recorded one song with it, but it worked great.

paginas para descargar musica gratis

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know, the irony here is since starting this thread back in '07, I've switched completely over to Reaper myself. :lol: It's free to try, and it's hands down the most flexible program I've used yet.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know, the irony here is since starting this thread back in '07, I've switched completely over to Reaper myself. :lol: It's free to try, and it's hands down the most flexible program I've used yet.

And yet still no album :drew: :lol:

metalmonster

Reaction score
...though, Reaper is actually the best "free" program out there. First, it's cheap, and it's free to try for as long as you want ...

I'm a regular Logic Audio user. Though i don't even own a mac, but i help a friend with it and it's hands down one of the best DAWs i've ever seen, plus it's not so expensive.

I really love Cubase, too, since i had a "domestic" 40$ version when i was a kid, and learned all the ropes in it...

... as for now, my DAW consists in a reaper "free-to-try" version (since i still don't make money with that software. But i will, and that's when i'll be buying the software) and Komplete players, which are Kompletely free, and Kompletely awesome (and makes you want the real thing, not because the free version is too limited, but because the free version is actually awesome enough to make me consider investing into it).

As for drums, i use XLN Addictive drums Free, and XLN addictive keys free. Which gives you a basic drumset, and an astounishing piano ... for free, though i really need a piano plugin that works on 8 octaves.

And that's my experience with free software. You can actually have a lot of fun with it, and when it's time to go pro, you can buy'em and have even more than you already had and dig way deeper into music production.

XplosivduX

Reaction score
These are all my opinions but I have used/been forced to work with all of these
In windows use Cubase or Protools if you have the cash, if you don't have the cash use Reaper, it is fast becoming a great DAW, if you have 0 cash maybe you can volunteer at a local studio audacity is brilliant and powerful but it has a complex workflow which will put you right off.
In OSX (or other variants of mac OS) I'd use Logic Cubase or Protools if you have the cash, Garage band if you don't. If you are looking to buy a recording media computer look into hackintoshes if you want to go mac.
For Linux I have only used Ardour.
My studio space runs Cubase on both machines but honestly it makes very little difference what you use, its all about practice and ear training.
PM if you have any questions. Stay cool Sevenstring.

John Pattison

Reaction score
KRISTAL Audio Engine

Really, if you want to learn how to record, there's no substitute for actually going out and doing it and getting hands on experience. The problem is, most good multitrack software out there is kind of pricey. Very pricey, in fact, and prohibitive to the average beginner who wants to get his feet wet, but certainly isn't ready to fork over $500 on a whim just to see what digital audio recording is like.

I can't remember where I first saw this program, but it was a home recording forum somewhere. I haven't personally given it a run myself, but the specs are good on paper and what feedback I've heard from users has been positive. And, best of all, it's free.

So, if digital recording is something you've been curious about, but never tried, grab your guitar and SM-57, then download this application and start browsing the forums here for tips on how to tweak your mixes. :metal:
I love that little video! Frickin halarious!:lol:

John Pattison

Reaction score
Hey out there! I've got a couple of questions regarding a Roland #2480 rig. I'm completley new to the whole digital recording thing and as a musician, most all my recoding experience has been going somewhere, paying and having it done. I'm involved in a project where I need to submit a recording and their asking for 16-bit, 44.1K wave file. I'm trying to do this on a budget so I'm hoping to record this at a buddy's house. He's telling me that his rig will produce 24-bit, 9kHz non wave file. He says that he'd need to add in different software to go to a wave format. Everyone else I've spoken with so far says this isn't true and that my friend just needs to learn a little more about his gear. Is there anyone out there who can educate / advise me on this? Thanks for your time and help! :scratch:

Glass Cloud

Banned
Reaction score
Still confused on reaper. There's the 60 day(of actual use) trial so if I like it I'm sure I'll pay the $60 once that's up. But is it free or not? Once I use up my 60 days does a message pop up telling me i have to buy a license to use it. I keep hearing people say you can use it forever. How does that work then? Can I use it for free but just not make money of tracks I made with it(how would they even know?). Will I get sued just for uploading some ....ty tracks to bandcamp? Is paying the $60 just a nice jester, like paying for a bands album when they give the option of getting it for free?

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Still confused on reaper. There's the 60 day(of actual use) trial so if I like it I'm sure I'll pay the $60 once that's up. But is it free or not? Once I use up my 60 days does a message pop up telling me i have to buy a license to use it. I keep hearing people say you can use it forever. How does that work then? Can I use it for free but just not make money of tracks I made with it(how would they even know?). Will I get sued just for uploading some ....ty tracks to bandcamp? Is paying the $60 just a nice jester, like paying for a bands album when they give the option of getting it for free?

You are supposed to buy it once the time on the trial is up, though why you wouldn't is beyond me if that's the route you want to go.

Beyond that I imagine you're in breach of the terms and conditions, which you agreed to, which is technically a contract...

Glass Cloud

Banned
Reaction score
So what happens if you don't buy it? How do they know you're still using it?

duffbeer33

Reaction score
I run Reaper on a mac laptop. I use a Focusrite Scarlett interface, bx_rockrack, and ezdrummer.

Can't recommend Reaper enough. I used Cubase in the past, but think Reaper is just as good (if not better) and WAY cheaper.