Getting this MultiFX for my birthday soon- Am I making a bad choice?

• Thread starter TauSigmaNova
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
I've been wanting a multi-fx unit for a while now since i personally find individual pedals to be a giant rip. My only pedal right now is a SD-1 which I run into my JCA22H. I settled so far on the Boss ME-25 which looks pretty nice and has everything i want [Delay, Chorus, Comp, Wah]. What are the ways I can run it into my amp?

Also, I will be able to run multiple FX on it at once and disable amp models which I probably won't want [mainly need it for effects, might try out some models though if there's a way to do it without conflicting with my amp]. There shouldn't be a problem with this, right? I don't know if it has the effects loop or w/e for my amp fx loop so I can run the delay/chorus through the fx loop and the compressor through the front if I want to so how will i work this out?

I also considered the Line 6 M5 (only 1 effect at a time :(( ) and the Vox Stomplab IIG but this looked like it was superior and I've heard good things about Boss' COSM tech and their MultiFX units (along with their stompboxes). My cousin said he'll probably order it when all the Black Friday sales are up so I probably have until then to change my mind if I really want to. By the way, anyone know what the best Black Friday coupon deals or whatever will be this year? Any help is as always greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
I've been wanting a multi-fx unit for a while now since i personally find individual pedals to be a giant rip. My only pedal right now is a SD-1 which I run into my JCA22H. I settled so far on the Boss ME-25 which looks pretty nice and has everything i want [Delay, Chorus, Comp, Wah]. What are the ways I can run it into my amp?

Also, I will be able to run multiple FX on it at once and disable amp models which I probably won't want [mainly need it for effects, might try out some models though if there's a way to do it without conflicting with my amp]. There shouldn't be a problem with this, right? I don't know if it has the effects loop or w/e for my amp fx loop so I can run the delay/chorus through the fx loop and the compressor through the front if I want to so how will i work this out?

I also considered the Line 6 M5 (only 1 effect at a time :(( ) and the Vox Stomplab IIG but this looked like it was superior and I've heard good things about Boss' COSM tech and their MultiFX units (along with their stompboxes). My cousin said he'll probably order it when all the Black Friday sales are up so I probably have until then to change my mind if I really want to. By the way, anyone know what the best Black Friday coupon deals or whatever will be this year? Any help is as always greatly appreciated.

I don't know about the Boss pedal you are looking at, but I have a Line 6 M13 that I use with my ENGL via the 4 cable method. The 4CM allowes me to run all of my overdrives and such through the front of the amp and reverbs and delays through the FX loop out back. The effects aren't studio quality, but they are good enough that I love it.

You can usually find them for a fair price used if you look around.

Line 6

Line6M13_02.jpg

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
I don't know about the Boss pedal you are looking at, but I have a Line 6 M13 that I use with my ENGL via the 4 cable method. The 4CM allowes me to run all of my overdrives and such through the front of the amp and reverbs and delays through the FX loop out back. The effects aren't studio quality, but they are good enough that I love it.

You can usually find them for a fair price used if you look around.

Line 6

Just taking a look through gc used the cheapest i see are 240-250 and I really don't wanna go over 200. 200 itself is pushing it.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Just taking a look through gc used the cheapest i see are 240-250 and I really don't wanna go over 200. 200 itself is pushing it.

Well, 240 bucks for all the effects you are going to get in one unit in the M13 is a steal bro. I understand money limitation though all to well....lol. Good luck man. :yesway:

Edit: Look around on the Bay and Craigslist as well, with Xmas coming up people will be selling stuff cheap.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
Edit: Look around on the Bay and Craigslist as well, with Xmas coming up people will be selling stuff cheap.

Could probably do that but I've always been wary about buying from Ebay and Craigslist. Anyone know of any other alternatives if the ME25 won't work out ?
(Do hope it does thought :) )

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score

You could also look at the M9 :2c:

I'd personally avoid the Boss unit since the quality of effects won't be as good as the Line 6 and you can't run it in 4CM. Plus the M9 and M13 allow you to have more presets and routing options.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
You could also look at the M9 :2c:

I'd personally avoid the Boss unit since the quality of effects won't be as good as the Line 6 and you can't run it in 4CM. Plus the M9 and M13 allow you to have more presets and routing options.

Both all the M9s and M13s I've seen on either GC used, cl, or eBay are 230-250+

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
The Boss unit seems a bit outdated anyway. You could get a used Pod HD Pro for an extra $200.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
The Boss unit seems a bit outdated anyway. You could get a used Pod HD Pro for an extra $200.

Well if that's how you're looking at it I might as well spend a few extra grand for an FX-8 or an AxeFX because it's a completely budget friendly and economically plausible solution for me.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
Well if that's how you're looking at it I might as well spend a few extra grand for an FX-8 or an AxeFX because it's a completely budget friendly and economically plausible solution for me.

You simply asked if you were making a bad choice, and I gave you my opinion. Thanks for the great analogy! :scratch:

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
Right now I'm having a DigiTech RP 360 perform "double duty". I use it for practicing and messing with my DAW and live.
I use all the effects (Dist/Over, Compressor, EQ, Phaser, Flanger, Delay, etc.., but then I have my "Stage" Presets that I bypass the Amp & Cabinet modeling, (I can disable it with the ones I use to practice but hell I hav 99 User presets so some duplication isn't a big deal) and just use the Various Delay Types, Chorus or other Modulation effects (Phase, De Tune, etc..), Re-verb and noise gate stuff.
I got the unit without the "Expression" pedal, simply cause I really don't use too many Harmony effects at all, if ever.
For $150.00 I got a practice amp (headphone), extra effects to use recording and 1 unit taking the place of roughly 6-10 pedals, using Stomp-box ones that Can't be per-programmed.
I also bought the FS3X "Extension" switches pedal board, that lets me run the RP 360 in 'Stomp Box Mode" while I use the FS3X to "step" up or down preset wise (the 3rd button controls the Looper functions).
Since I haven't made my first 10 Million, guess I have to hold off on Axe-FX II just for a bit :cool:
:hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::nono:

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
Considering running my guitar into the processor with an amp model and some effects and then into the effects line of my jet city. Anyone have an idea how this would sound?

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
:hbang:
As far as I know, that is totally dependent on the number of outputs the multi-effects has.Unless I know about the M-FX unit's options, I can't make any useful recommendations
To run a multi-fx(s) compressor while running the Delay/Modulation effects/Reverb/Noise gate, Really limits you to 2 options. With a Standard Multi-fx you Cannot run the "effects pedals" to 2 dififfirent input sources.
To do something like that Completely requires a individual Compressor Pedal
which is what I do with my setup.
I go signal-chain wise Polytune Tuner, Dimebag Wah, Acoustic Sim pedal,
Polyphonic Drop Tune/Phase shifter and finally my compressor pedal. A very good rule of thumb is to run any sound altering pedal like a EQ/Detuner/Phase Shift or Harmonizer BEFORE the Compressor so those effects process your original signal with Dynamics.
Then the Loop, I run a Flashback Delay that has a custom Tone Print program for acoustic guitar sounds, then my RP 360. I only use the Different types of Delays, diffirent modulation effects (Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, etc.) the reverb and finally a noise gate. The ONLY time I ever use the Dist/Over drive and AMp/Cabinet Sim, and Compressor effects is practicing and recording.
:metal:

Hope my input helps your decision

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
Cousin asked if I wanted to upgrade to a used RP1000 if the extra effects/inputs are worth the cost? It'll let me do the 4CM method. Should I get that over the 500? Anything else for that price used that's even better?

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
My vote is for the Boss GT-100.

They don't come up used too often, which tells you a lot about the unit. I just finished recording an album with it and the engineer was very impressed with my tone (using a secret combination of amp models). I also use it live in the 4CM (5CM if you count the amp control jack for switching channels on my amp) for just the effects and I use it at home for practicing/jamming. It's a real workhorse and it sounds great. Pretty intuitive to use, too.

Latest posts

')