Ghost Megathread

• Thread starter FireInside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
The song is good. I tend to get tired of these guys pretty quickly but may pick up the album just to see what artwork Zbigniew Bielak creates for it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I guess it's just the mix of everything.
-Straightforward rock
-Catchy and addicting as hell
-Powerful atmosphere
-Cheesy satanic lyrics outside of black metal
-Church organs :lol:

That being said Ghost has become one of my favorite "modern" bands as they're just so refreshing. They're not trying anything new, but instead just taking a bunch of old ideas and splashing them around. I was actually really glad when I saw how popular they were starting to get.

This, one thousand times.
They're a bunch of people good enough to put stuff that you would hear from Beatles or surf rock in their songs and still sound metal.
Without going into prog territory, you can still listen to very nice chord progressions and modulations that you rarely find in straightforward music.
Their music has quality from a composing view point.
They really know what they're doing and they're very good at it.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
de gustibus non est disputandum, eh?

I like plenty of straightforward hard rock and my tastes are all over the map. And I certainly don't think they suck. NOR AM I HATING ON ANYONE FOR LIKING IT. (I like Nightwish for fracks sake) My annoyance stems from the amount of hype and pub they get, the contrived nature of it, and the lemmingdom that follows. (I can't be the only one who's noticed this?) I mean there's certainly not a dearth of catchy straightforward hard rock out there to choose from...

No I noticed it Too. their image is in fact gimmicky as heck. But what it boils down to is the reason they have been overhyped is because Metallica said that they like them. So soon many more people were willing to give it a listen.

But I do have to say, while I don't have any of their albums, I do like the songs that I heard and I may in fact consider buying their albums. They are a very good band that has very good material.

But yes I think they are a tad bigger than they should be (thanks to a big theatrical stage presence, image, and a huge "plug" from Metallica).

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
This song is great. It's simple, but the atmosphere is just something that I think a lot of music these days just doesn't quite get. (There's plenty of music without the atmosphere that still rocks though, don't get me wrong)

Love me some Ghost! \m/

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
It's catchy. Pretty good tune.

Thing that gets me is you see them, and you'd think they would come out blasting a full on assault. The music just seems too happy for the image.....messes with my head. I'm not the hugest fan, but they are a good band nonetheless.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I like the whole stage show that goes with them in addition to the music. I like horror movies and skulls, so what's not to like about an undead Pope? What's wrong with a show to go along with the music? It's the same reason I need to see Iron Maiden every time they come within driving distance. I want to a giant Eddie on the stage while I am being serenaded by some good tunes!

DXL

Reaction score
It's catchy. Pretty good tune.

Thing that gets me is you see them, and you'd think they would come out blasting a full on assault. The music just seems too happy for the image.....messes with my head. I'm not the hugest fan, but they are a good band nonetheless.

That's what makes it so refreshing. Back in the 60's The Beatles were considered the devil's music. Just because what is "satanic" now is usually extremely aggressive and assaulting doesn't mean they can't play on the old idea.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Does gimmick usually refer mostly to stage show? Like how they dress up and stuff? Because I liked this band before I knew that they did that, and actually when I found out about the whole makeup and masks thing I remember feeling kinda disappointed. In my mind I thought of them as NOT looking evil but looking normal, playing some "normal" rock and roll music that's lyrically super duper evil, and that's what made it fun. But I guess I've grown used to their whole gimmick because now I kinda like it I guess.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
That's what makes it so refreshing. Back in the 60's The Beatles were considered the devil's music. Just because what is "satanic" now is usually extremely aggressive and assaulting doesn't mean they can't play on the old idea.

I agree 100%. Don't get me wrong, I like what they are doing. It's a really cool concept. I also like the fact it isn't extremely aggressive musically, but lyrically dark. I saw pictures before I heard them, and let's just say what I heard wasn't what I was expecting. Took me a little by surprise.

I'm going to check this out like I have the others.

BlackMesa

the G-Man's Bitch
Reaction score
Wow!! I'm not a fan of these guys at all but that is great song. Might have to get the new album.

Bforber

Reaction score
Actually really liking this despite not getting into their other stuff nearly as much.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Just saw the music video today and I'm stoked beyond words. The new Papa Emeritus is very talented and I like his lyrical style. Older stuff like Con Clavi, Con Dio is awesome too, but I like how this new Emeritus takes normally innocent sounding lyrics with fantastic singing and uses it to contrast with the heavy, vintage metal riffs.

Yeah, I really need to do a cover of this song sometime soon. :lol:

stevexc

Reaction score
Not enough Gibson RD. 0/10.

taco... you do know it's the same guy, right? :p

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
So he just ditched the mask? Who was the guy they interviewed for the last album then.. did they bring in an old guy just for interviews? I remember once he played a show where he was wearing a weird face-mask-thing, but then I saw other ones where I could swear it was just his face.

Awesome vid and great tune tho. Gets jammed in my head but good

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Disturbing lack of RDs. And I did learn this one the other day... and played on my Black RD!

')