Ghost Megathread

• Thread starter FireInside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chopeth

Reaction score
I don't understand this band's music proposal nor the hype they provoke no matter how much I listen to it. Am I too old?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I don't understand this band's music proposal nor the hype they provoke no matter how much I listen to it. Am I too old?

You've tried it and didn't like it. No shame in that. No sense in clinging on to the notion that you're "just missing something." Tons of other music out there to listen to that you do like to worry about why you don't like this one band. :hbang:

chopeth

Reaction score
Señor Voorhees;4429732 said:
You've tried it and didn't like it. No shame in that. No sense in clinging on to the notion that you're "just missing something." Tons of other music out there to listen to that you do like to worry about why you don't like this one band. :hbang:

No worries, I listen to hundreds of bands and I'm happy with the sometimes overwhelming amount of music I reach, but I just wanted to understand what is the big thing with these Ghosts, I see threads in this forum of very talented and original musicians and bands that go virtually unnoticed or get little attention and I was wondering about this big thread.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Its one of those "right place right time" kind of things. Its a matter of having the right person hear your stuff.

Ghost are unique. They have the benefit of their gimmick to draw people in, but their music is legitimately enjoyable. They were lucky enough to have the right people see them and latch on. It's not that they're undeserving, it just seems weird to someone like you who just doesn't like it and is aware of other guys you feel are deserving of acknowledgement. I think its worth keeping in mind that people like Keith Merrow and Misha Mansoor are examples of people who not terribly long ago were unknown bedroom musicians who gained recognition. Its also worth acknowledging that "technically proficient" isn't required to be enjoyable. Some times simpler, slower, and softer music is just enjoyable.

Edit: woops, I clicked post by accident. Ill leave it at this.

It does suck that some people who are great at what they do go unnoticed, but it just can't be helped in this industry. Doesn't make it wrong to appreciate simpler bands like ghost. It is good, though, to support those unknown artists. Give them what money you can and spread their name. Maybe some day the right person will see them!

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
Music is not a competition. It is more like a lottery. No use wasting your time wondering why certain bands "make it".

As far as why I like them...Ghost are unique, write super catchy songs, and have a vibe that reminds me of music I grew up listening to. The lyrics are very clever and often really funny. I think what it comes down to is just that they are very entertaining to me. Which is pretty much what music is for.

If they don't entertain you then move on.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
No worries, I listen to hundreds of bands and I'm happy with the sometimes overwhelming amount of music I reach, but I just wanted to understand what is the big thing with these Ghosts, I see threads in this forum of very talented and original musicians and bands that go virtually unnoticed or get little attention and I was wondering about this big thread.

Talent on it's own rarely sales.

Good music or a gimmick does. Ghost does both.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
totally digging the new album, its fantastic.
I still prefer Opus, mostly for all the huge riffs and the fact that i think everything about this band benefits from the cheap and dated-sounding production that album had!

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
I greatly prefer the new album to anything else I've heard from them. Opus wore incredibly thin after the first few listens (Aside from Ritual. That song is still catchy as ....), the one after that I heard a song or two and couldn't stand it. I think the new album's extra keyboard emphasis and somewhat more "modern" production adds just the right amount of theatrics to their sound...and the vocals are actually improving a bit (Still painfully bland at times, but at least there's some dynamics to them this time)

ferret

Reaction score
My neighbor, a Southern Baptist, blocked me on Facebook for sharing this album from Spotify.

I'm beside myself with tears of laughter.

drgamble

Reaction score
I didn't get the whole Ghost thing at first either when I first listened to it, watched the videos, but I have to say they have definitely grown on me. They sound classic even though they are a new band. They first gigging band I was in back in 1994 was a death metal band, but I have to say that it is kind of refreshing to have a band that isn't pop that has clean vocals that aren't autotuned to hell and over the top. The Ghost vocals are very singable and as far as the musicians it is obvious that they are top notch, but they don't have to show off all of the time. They seem to focus on songwriting, which I really think has been shoved to the side with metal for a long time in lieu of technical demonstration. Anyway, they have grown on me and I would love to see them live. I have a feeling that they sound just like the record.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
"Meliora" is a great album. 4/5 for me.

It is a solid mix of hard rock and gothic atmospheres, the production is spot on and really helps appreciating the excellent skills of the band.
Overall it is my favourite album by Ghost, however I can't find any memorable song ("Spirit" is admittedly great). "Infestissumam" had some highs ("Monstrance Clock" has become one of my favourite song of all times) that the band didn't achieve this time.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Thanks to the band streaming the whole album online, I got to check this one out. Absolution was probably my favorite track here along with Cirice. I'd say that this is one of their best thus far. 9.5/10 :yesway:

Reaction score
Love the new album, the melodic tracks were really stand out but the one i enjoy most was the heavier sounding mummy dust.
It'd be very cool if the band just slowly got heavier and heavier as the albums progressed, turning into some kind of pink floyd/industrial death metal entity with papa xvii on sinister melodic robot vocals B)

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything you really need to 'get' with Ghost. It's just some kickass music that feels like a reincarnation of Black Sabbath with a great gimmick to boot. I bet that a lot of people that are older than me are happy that a band that sounds like it comes straight out of the 70's is getting popular.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I just never really gave them much of a chance. But today I decided to listen to "Meliora" and I must say, I quite enjoyed it. Yes, a sort of reincarnation of Black Sabbath is spot on. Which makes it even stranger that I enjoyed it, because I was never a Sabbath fan.

brector

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything you really need to 'get' with Ghost. It's just some kickass music that feels like a reincarnation of Black Sabbath with a great gimmick to boot. I bet that a lot of people that are older than me are happy that a band that sounds like it comes straight out of the 70's is getting popular.

I am about to turn 40 and love them :)

-Brian

p.s. Am I the only person that loves He Is? Sounds like they took Metallica's acoustic rig from Ride the Lightning

Mwoit

Reaction score
Devil Church sounds like it came straight out of a JRPG sound track.

AND I LOVE IT.

Latest posts

')