Ghost Megathread

• Thread starter FireInside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DXL

Reaction score
I am about to turn 40 and love them :)

-Brian

p.s. Am I the only person that loves He Is? Sounds like they took Metallica's acoustic rig from Ride the Lightning

Nah, He Is seems like the fan favorite on the album according to a lot of people

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewK

Reaction score
"Meliora" is a great album. 4/5 for me.

It is a solid mix of hard rock and gothic atmospheres, the production is spot on and really helps appreciating the excellent skills of the band.
Overall it is my favourite album by Ghost, however I can't find any memorable song ("Spirit" is admittedly great). "Infestissumam" had some highs ("Monstrance Clock" has become one of my favourite song of all times) that the band didn't achieve this time.

Not even Deus in Absentia? That is my new favorite Ghost track.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
He Is is definitely one of the more beautiful songs I've heard in a very long time. The only song I didn't immediately love was Mummy Dust.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
I've been listening to Meliora quite a bit, lately. I freaking love it.

I don't know how these guys manage to make music that doesn't sound cheesy, it sounds good. Definitely some artistic creativity that they've been channeling.

XMetalcheFX

Chef de Extreme
Reaction score
Please, please, please do not flame me for this.....

I am a fan of the band, however their subject matter is a tad sketchy to me. Like I am aware they are all playing characters etc. I find them all very talented and think they have an awesome, epic and very old school sound to them.

That being said I have never seen them live or that many clips. I live in a place where there are people that take METAL and heavier music too seriously and get all dumb with people that don't like the bands they like.

I don't judge people, I don't make stereotype opinions of people either. But what kind of peeps show up to their show? I mean I'm not the most religious person, not really at all in fact. I just don't know what to expect other than I'll be damn entertained.

Anyone been to their live show and can let me know what the vibe is usually like? I only ask because the subject matter can seem intense in their lyrics.

Hope I don't immediately regret this question.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I've seen them live last year, and albeit it was at a festival they drew a large crowd. The festival was in Sweden, mind you. They aren't a black metal band. I didn't see any extreme types if that's what you're after. Just people out to have a good time and enjoy the music.

XMetalcheFX

Chef de Extreme
Reaction score
Fair enough.

I realize this is a stupid post. But I live in Maryland and stupid as it is their is a large sect of individuals that are into all that witch connection and anti religion crap.

I'd like to see them it's a small venue so it should be pretty cool.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Fair enough.

I realize this is a stupid post. But I live in Maryland and stupid as it is their is a large sect of individuals that are into all that witch connection and anti religion crap.

I'd like to see them it's a small venue so it should be pretty cool.

I've never seen them in a small venue, I missed up the opportunity to see them switch popes a few months back. Regretting that one. If you're wary of like those types of people though you could just opt to avoid them :)

zappatton2

Reaction score
I saw them in Montreal in a pretty small venue about four or five years back. It was a great show, and the vibe was pretty cool, I little more like a hard rock crowd than a crazy mosh crowd. Nothing too over-the-top (though I tend to use Gwar as my "crazy wild awesome show" standard).

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I saw them in Montreal in a pretty small venue about four or five years back. It was a great show, and the vibe was pretty cool, I little more like a hard rock crowd than a crazy mosh crowd. Nothing too over-the-top (though I tend to use Gwar as my "crazy wild awesome show" standard).

I use Ghoul :D Basically the same band haha!

XMetalcheFX

Chef de Extreme
Reaction score
I'll go see em. They have great music. Honestly tho I didn't read much about them are they just playing characters? There's 4 nameless ghouls and PEII so there's obviously theatrics involved. However are they really into the religious aspect? I saw an interview with a ghoul and it never came up lol.

stevexc

Reaction score
I'll go see em. They have great music. Honestly tho I didn't read much about them are they just playing characters? There's 4 nameless ghouls and PEII so there's obviously theatrics involved. However are they really into the religious aspect? I saw an interview with a ghoul and it never came up lol.

*PEIII, PEII got replaced :p

It's 100% performance. They're playing characters through and through. The "theme" of the show (at least when I caught them back with Mastodon and Opeth) is a "black Mass", but it's really just a theatrical show. There's no "actual" rituals going on or anything like that. It's a fun diet-Satan-themed show.

HANIAK

Reaction score
I have been spinning the Meliora for about a week now, and I'm loving it so much! All tracks are amazing and beautiful melodies over and over... album of 2015 for me. :)

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score

There are some interviews that touch on it. They don't personally "believe in" or promote anything religious. It is strictly an act. Read the lyrics to Jigolo Har Megiddo...that could almost pass for a Tenacious D song.

Speaking of lyrics... There is a lot of depth and most of the songs have an underlying theme that has nothing to do with religion but it is expressed using religious metaphor.

There will always be a few actual satanists or "witches" or whatever, that latch on to them and become fans because they don't get it and take the lyrics at face value.

When I saw them last, there was mostly your standard metal/rock/prog crowd. What stood out more than anything to me was a lot of parent/child combos...which was pretty awesome. Their music bridges that gap well.

wankerness

Reaction score

I don't get the concerns that caused this series of posts, do you think the band is going to identify your Christian soul in the audience, have their godless disciples in the crowd hold you down, and convert you to Satanism by pouring goat's blood down your throat? :nuts: No one at a metal show, especially a band that practically sounds like classic rock, is going to say jack about religion unless you're wearing a WWJD t-shirt and trying to hand out bibles, and even then they probably would just laugh. :p

XMetalcheFX

Chef de Extreme
Reaction score
I don't get the concerns that caused this series of posts, do you think the band is going to identify your Christian soul in the audience, have their godless disciples in the crowd hold you down, and convert you to Satanism by pouring goat's blood down your throat? :nuts: No one at a metal show, especially a band that practically sounds like classic rock, is going to say jack about religion unless you're wearing a WWJD t-shirt and trying to hand out bibles, and even then they probably would just laugh. :p

I am not a Christian. I am agnostic at best as I am not even religious. I just was inquiring as to what kind of crowd they draw, and if their music was mostly metaphor as opposed to be taken literally as I know 0 about them other than my spotify that has them on it.

There weren't any concerns that raised the question. The question was to confirm i shouldn't have concerns. My question was more than answered and we have moved on.

Relax :wavey:

BTW Don't knock handing out bibles. Everyone likes a free gift.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^lol, not when it's a bible. Not everyone.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
Please, please, please do not flame me for this.....

I am a fan of the band, however their subject matter is a tad sketchy to me. Like I am aware they are all playing characters etc. I find them all very talented and think they have an awesome, epic and very old school sound to them.

That being said I have never seen them live or that many clips. I live in a place where there are people that take METAL and heavier music too seriously and get all dumb with people that don't like the bands they like.

I don't judge people, I don't make stereotype opinions of people either. But what kind of peeps show up to their show? I mean I'm not the most religious person, not really at all in fact. I just don't know what to expect other than I'll be damn entertained.

Anyone been to their live show and can let me know what the vibe is usually like? I only ask because the subject matter can seem intense in their lyrics.

Hope I don't immediately regret this question.
dude, their shows are a blast. everyone in the crowd is in on the fun... it reminds me a lot of the kind of bunch that would show up for a special screening of a classic 80's horror flick, if that makes sense,

')