Ghost Megathread

• Thread starter FireInside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwoods986

Reaction score
So I've listened to it twice through now (with headphones) and my reaction is - meh. 10 songs but 3 are instrumentals, too many ballads, and a couple good rockin' tunes. Certainly didn't get any goosebumps or chills like some of you did. I will already say that, IMO, it's the weakest of their 4 studio albums. But I will still see them live anytime they come near D.C.!

isispelican

Reaction score
I was caught off guard initially by the direction of this album but after a few spins I think it's simply amazing! The 80's vibes work surprisingly well with the plague theme and give it a unique bittersweet feeling. The new sound takes some getting used to if you're a fan of the previous stuff, although this complete revamping should be a given now since it happens with every album.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
This may have been covered already, but does Tobias’ vocal phrasing remind anyone of Broadway-style vocals at times? To me it’s like he’ll throw a few more syllables than my ear would expect into the odd line, like he’s trying to fit a story into the song. Ex verse 3 of Pro Memoria... “Had you had the chance today, you would have sold out too” I brought my wife to their show once and she asked if he was theatre-trained, because of the way he moved on stage. Maybe that got me thinking about it.

He definitely puts a lot of effort into enunciation.

Edit: Just finished listening to the full album, really glad I didn’t pre-order on vinyl like I had planned. I only liked four of the songs enough to click ‘save’ on Spotify. Meh.

It really makes you wonder just how much influence the previous ghouls actually had on the sound, regardless of who wrote what.

Ah well! Back to the previous 3 albums for me.

Last edited:

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Definitely didn’t have the same impact the previous releases had for me. But it’s a decent record that I’ll listen to again and see if it grows on me.

Doug N

Reaction score
I don't know why I have a hard time getting into this band, sometimes it seems like they're trying too hard to be OG or something. I think five years from now they'll have a really good greatest hits album, but each release seems to have a lot of fillers or just misses. I saw them live w/Mastodon and I did enjoy them live, also saw them at Aftershock and they were solid. Just not great I guess.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I don't know why I have a hard time getting into this band, sometimes it seems like they're trying too hard to be OG or something. I think five years from now they'll have a really good greatest hits album, but each release seems to have a lot of fillers or just misses. I saw them live w/Mastodon and I did enjoy them live, also saw them at Aftershock and they were solid. Just not great I guess.

Eh, they're not for everyone. It is a niche sound for sure. That said I love them and appreciate you giving credit where credit is due despite not liking them that much. That's pretty rare these days I think.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Listened a few times, I enjoyed it. Not my favorite, but it’s pretty good. Just seems like a further progression in the direction they have been heading.

zappatton2

Reaction score
I picked up the vinyl release and haven't taken it off my turntable in a week. At first I was tepid, but now I love it, quite a few tunes stuck permanently in my brain! Plus, the 7" is just flat out awesome, love their cover choices.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
I'm having to restrain myself by listening to it only once a day. The whole album is so catchy. Hopefully they'll get a little heavier again sometime, but I'm definitely enjoying this phase they're in.

Also, "someone's flesh is rotting tonight" has never sounded so nice and sweet. :lol:

zappatton2

Reaction score
Just an FYI, I have the smokey clear vinyl pressing (with the 7"), and the second side is kinda warped, it has noticeable pitch issues, especially on the last song. Checked Discogs, and apparently this is a common complaint with this press, so a head's up to anyone thinking of grabbing the vinyl to look for any other pressing of it, as I haven't seen the same complaint with any of them.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I have a question about Swedish people:

The way Forge says "wanna be wi-tchyu all night"... is that how Swedes pronounce their English normally, or is he purposely altering his pronunciation to sound "more American" maybe? It bothers the fucking shit out of me because even though an American might possibly say the "tchyu" while speaking (though I would suggest that ordinarily we reserve the "tch" to go with "ya" to make "witchya", but we would probably say "with" when saying "you"), it's totally unnatural for singing. But if that's just part of a Swedish accent then it all makes sense and I can allow myself to like the song.

Schmeer

Riff .....istrator
Reaction score
Well, I'm not swedish but the swedes I know wouldn't pronounce it that way.

It bothered me too at first but after listening a little closer to the lyrics, I've concluded that I think he is singing "bewitch you", which makes a bit more sense IMO :p

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Well, I'm not swedish but the swedes I know wouldn't pronounce it that way.

It bothered me too at first but after listening a little closer to the lyrics, I've concluded that I think he is singing "bewitch you", which makes a bit more sense IMO :p
OK I like that better! Now I can like it.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Haha it's "I wanna be wanna bewitch you in the moonlight"

I like it better as 'be w'chu'

')