Ghost Megathread

• Thread starter FireInside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dreamchaser

Reaction score
Never could get into this band, although the first album had some decent tunes. It is pretty widely accepted to shit on them now, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZombieDank

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my recent experience... I never really listened to Ghost except maybe Square Hammer and more recently Rats. A buddy of mine dragged me to their concert this weekend and I was blown away by the performance. The sound quality, stage presence, light show and just the set design in general was incredible. Definitely worth checking out if they are coming to your area.

Curt 8771

Reaction score
Saw them on the popestar tour and they were fantastic, seeing them again on Friday can't wait.

jwoods986

Reaction score
Wow, pretty quiet in here considering the new album drops Friday and they have been touring all month. Well, I saw them last Sunday, 5/20 at The Warner Theatre in D.C., and it was a great show! If you haven't gone yet and don't want to know, then warning - SPOILERS BELOW!!
So it was "An Evening with Ghost", which meant no opener, Act 1, a 15 minute intermission, and Act 2. I predicted they would open with Rats (since they opened with Square Hammer last year) and they did. But then I was a little disappointed initially because they ran through a bunch of songs they played last year - Con Clavi, Per Aspera, etc., but then they started dropping surprise after surprise (I stayed away from any reviews, setlists, etc.). Stand By Him, acoustic version of Jigolo, new tunes, and the biggest shock ending Act 1 with Deus in Absentia! Then they start Act 2 with Spirit, another one I like that they didn't play last year, and If You Have Ghosts was another surprise.

All in all a great show, good setlist, liked the extra ghouls (and ghoulettes), they sounded good, and I feel ok about Cardinal Copia now (he seemed a little too goofy in the vids), Ghost is in good hands -lol.

frogman81

Reaction score
Wow, pretty quiet in here considering the new album drops Friday and they have been touring all month. Well, I saw them last Sunday, 5/20 at The Warner Theatre in D.C., and it was a great show! If you haven't gone yet and don't want to know, then warning - SPOILERS BELOW!!
So it was "An Evening with Ghost", which meant no opener, Act 1, a 15 minute intermission, and Act 2. I predicted they would open with Rats (since they opened with Square Hammer last year) and they did. But then I was a little disappointed initially because they ran through a bunch of songs they played last year - Con Clavi, Per Aspera, etc., but then they started dropping surprise after surprise (I stayed away from any reviews, setlists, etc.). Stand By Him, acoustic version of Jigolo, new tunes, and the biggest shock ending Act 1 with Deus in Absentia! Then they start Act 2 with Spirit, another one I like that they didn't play last year, and If You Have Ghosts was another surprise.

All in all a great show, good setlist, liked the extra ghouls (and ghoulettes), they sounded good, and I feel ok about Cardinal Copia now (he seemed a little too goofy in the vids), Ghost is in good hands -lol.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the show! I'm also anxiously awaiting a listen-through of the new album. The 3 singles that have been released have been great. I've seen them live twice now, but unfortunately there hasn't been any Toronto shows announced yet for this tour.

blacai

Reaction score
I saw them live and it was a really good show, soundwise and performance. Their music is jut ok. I do love classical and epic doom and this is just fresh air but says nothing to me.

What I can't stand is their fanbase and all the hype around. Everyday 2-3 post in the typical metal news facebook pages and full of mimimi comments.
It is funny the defenders write all the time "if you don't like don't listen to them" "oh! you are too trve cvlt to listen new metal styles" and get offended so easly even when the ratio of comments are maybe 10:1 clearly pro-ghost fanboys.

There are always haters for many reasons but in this case I think it is just because their fanboys are funny to offend :)

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I saw them live and it was a really good show, soundwise and performance. Their music is jut ok. I do love classical and epic doom and this is just fresh air but says nothing to me.

What I can't stand is their fanbase and all the hype around. Everyday 2-3 post in the typical metal news facebook pages and full of mimimi comments.
It is funny the defenders write all the time "if you don't like don't listen to them" "oh! you are too trve cvlt to listen new metal styles" and get offended so easly even when the ratio of comments are maybe 10:1 clearly pro-ghost fanboys.

There are always haters for many reasons but in this case I think it is just because their fanboys are funny to offend :)

Well I mean, they do kind of have a point. If you don't like them, don't listen. I've never understood why people come onto pages of bands they don't like just to shit on them. You'd think they'd spend their time nourishing the fanbase of their favorite bands instead of trying to rile people up.

What do I know, though? I'm just another Ghost fanboy.

blacai

Reaction score
I've never understood why people come onto pages of bands they don't like just to shit on them.
I just wrote: "Everyday 2-3 post in the typical metal news facebook pages ", we all know which ones. Of course I am not following the Ghost page or another band I don't listen to or like, but If in a metal news FB they just post 4 times for the same band I think I could write a comment with my opinion without 10 fanboys calling me hater.

Ghost threads became a meme in my opinion, just like gene simmons, corey taylor or dave grohl.

What 10 years ago we called opinion or critic is called "haterism" nowadays.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Well one thing you have to understand about the Internet is that while it is useful, it's also brought out some pretty hateful people who can't handle an opinion. The way I look at it, it's fair game especially with the knowledge that with ANY large following, you'll have those attacking any who don't like what they like. Irrational? Maybe. Unexpected? These days, definitely not. It's the nature of the beast when you allow anyone to post an opinion, whether you agree or not.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
The problem with the rise of social media, and the ease of access to internet and devices that allow for overconsumption of ‘news’ is that it artificially inflates people’s egos and makes them believe that every little thing they think is important & worth spewing out onto the rest of the world via commenting unnecessarily.

TLDR: You aren’t a ‘critic’ if you’re just being a bitchy child about a band you don’t enjoy.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
The problem with the rise of social media, and the ease of access to internet and devices that allow for overconsumption of ‘news’ is that it artificially inflates people’s egos and makes them believe that every little thing they think is important & worth spewing out onto the rest of the world via commenting unnecessarily.

TLDR: You aren’t a ‘critic’ if you’re just being a bitchy child about a band you don’t enjoy.

Plus when someone says that "their fanboys are funny to offend" it sort of makes you wonder how their opinion is being delivered. It's one thing to say "hey Ghost really isn't my cup of tea, but cool that people like them" compared to "this band sucks, bunch of fanboys" or some shit like that. Can't play the victim when you say it's funny to piss someone off.

jwoods986

Reaction score
Oh, that's the one playing at the beginning of the vids. I guess it doesn't matter now, the whole thing will be out tomorrow - and free for those that bought tickets to see them!

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
I have listened to it 3-4 times through. I really like it.

I don't get caught up in the b.s. or critiquing of music. Either I like it or I don't.

Razerjack

Reaction score
Another solid one from Ghost, nothing to get crazy about but every song is good, lyrics are cheesy but on point, and every hook is cathchier than the last. Got legit goose bumps while listening to Faith.

blacai

Reaction score
Plus when someone says that "their fanboys are funny to offend" it sort of makes you wonder how their opinion is being delivered. It's one thing to say "hey Ghost really isn't my cup of tea, but cool that people like them" compared to "this band sucks, bunch of fanboys" or some shit like that. Can't play the victim when you say it's funny to piss someone off.
Well, actually it is really funny to see how they react, but not only Ghost fans. Everybody these days like to show how offended they are when someone's opinion is not what they want to read.
And I don't see the "haters" playing the victim, they write comments saying whatever and then 10 people start blaming and censoring what they wrote.
I am sorry, buy SJW are boring and silly and like I said, If I am following a metal news FB page and 50% of the posts they write are about one band I don't like maybe I can write my thoughts about how absurd the hype is and I would like to see different news. I could stop following the page, but some people hope, when lot of them write asking for different stuff, the admin page would take care of it, so no, for me "just stop writing about them" is not an option

In any case, let this topic continue with their music ;)
I read they will have a collaboration with candlemass, it will be interesting to see the old epic and new pop doom combining together.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Not really a fan of Ghost, but am really liking this new album so far. I always kinda liked the vibe their songs had but never got properly into them for whatever reason.

frogman81

Reaction score
Still going through it slowly... I’m away from home and a proper listening environment so I skipped ahead to Pro Memoria, knowing it is very soft. I let it play to the end and the last 4 strings (for me) are very strong - from good to, at times, transcendent.

I got chills when the vocal harmonies came in on the third verse to Pro Memoria, and again in Life Eternal when I first heard Tobias sing the line “This is the moment of just letting go”...

I know that to express a strong affection for something on the interwebz is to risk someone coming along and taking a dump all over it and your opinion, but I don’t even care :lol:

This may have been covered already, but does Tobias’ vocal phrasing remind anyone of Broadway-style vocals at times? To me it’s like he’ll throw a few more syllables than my ear would expect into the odd line, like he’s trying to fit a story into the song. Ex verse 3 of Pro Memoria... “Had you had the chance today, you would have sold out too” I brought my wife to their show once and she asked if he was theatre-trained, because of the way he moved on stage. Maybe that got me thinking about it.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
lol I remember when I was a high school edgelord....

Just bought the new album, gonna listen on my lunch break :kd:

')