Gibson buys Mesa Boogie?!

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
christ. Was kinda hoping it was a silly rumour but, seems its 100% legit.

Damn man!
The rectos and the Mark V;s are literally icons to me and now this with whatever this form of "Gibson" is?
christ alive.

Absolutely dead as far as Im concerned.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
If it's just a distribution thing, maybe that means slightly less overpriced Boogies outside the US?

This makes the most sense to my unknowledgable self.

I'm betting its an exchange of services. Gibson will provide distribution channels. Mesa will build Gibson branded amps.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Any clue how good Mesa was doing financially? They had their store in Hollywood they had to close down.

I'm not super bummed about it. I'm hoping Gibson stays hands off like they do with Epi

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
LOL gonna poke a lotta holes in my argument the early Rectos aren't special cuz they've never bothered re-issuing them... it's only a matter of months now

except no wait now that they're owned by Gibson, it won't count if they start doing reissues because that's all Gibson ever does. When Mesa was owned by guys who legitimately cared about quality products and tone, they never did reissues because they regarded the new amps as better in every way. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if Mesa has been struggling lately, either. Amps got too expensive. I know everybody wants their shit made in the US but tube amps are so limited, almost all of em are one trick ponies... Fractal, Line 6, Neural all must be eating their lunch

Zhysick

Reaction score
I don't like this, is not a good thing that companies get bigger and bigger... but it has been confirmed. Whatever... I wasn't going to buy any Mesa amp (because of the price, too expensive for me) now is not going to be any different I suppose...

Millul

Reaction score
The sense of doom runs strong in this thread...!
I'm interested in seeing exactly what this partnership (buy out) is about, understanding the Ys, and maybe not so ready to give Mesa for dead already as some seem to be doing.

Maybe it will even be a good thing?

manu80

Reaction score
Hard to understand how a brand that was almost done can now buy companies...
Gibson’s health was terrible rencently...
And now this. They bought it for 1 dollar ?

Demiurge

Reaction score
I'm betting its an exchange of services. Gibson will provide distribution channels. Mesa will build Gibson branded amps.

I can see this. Gibson's site makes no mention of a current amp line. For all I know they could be great, but I can't say I've ever seen Gibson's amps talked-about much. For a company that's been undergoing changes, I'm sure the thought popped into someone's head that Fender makes guitars & amps and sells loads of each while not so much for Gibson on the latter. Putting out an amp with Mesa design/pedigree could given them a lift. Or buying the company and deeming it their amp division is a solution, too :lol:

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I certainly hope it works out. Just hopefully Mesa isn't somehow saddled with debt from this or used as a piggy bank and left without adequate funding to do the things they need to do.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I try not to have hot takes or chicken-little reactions to things, but Gibson acquisitions have an absolutely terrible track record, and from the press release it seems like a true acquisition.

Seems bad for Mesa fans.

Buying too many brands is what causes Gibson to go bankrupt. I doubt they'd make the same mistake again. Plus unlike other acquisitions, people still care about Mesa. No one really cared about Steinberger or Kramer.

Latest posts

')