Gibson Dethklok Thunderhorse Explorer

• Thread starter DesertBurst
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Gibson Dethklok Explorer 'Reaching for Metal Supremacy'
No 24 frets?
No Neckthru?
No EMGs?
Hardly going to be the metal supreme with those specs.

Also the finish is different to Skwisgaar's Explorer.
Fail, Gibson, just fail.
Seriously, get your shit together, drop your prices a bit, and maybe you might save your name before it's too late.

How are any of those required for "metal supremacy?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FLGearnut

Reaction score
i will admit that this guitar looks nothing like skwisgaar's explorer (which is actually a cartoon version of brendan smalls favorite personal guitar), but i still like it alot nonetheless...i like silverburst in general and this guitar is tasty...but it should have EMG's to be closer to the guitar from the show

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Sick guitar! And while yeah, Gibson is pretty monolithic, the upside of millions of dumb teens buying these things is a robust used market where I can pick a used one up for cheap in 6 months :lol:

Too bad they don't buy anything like Charvels, huh?

Trendkill

Reaction score
The guitar looks badass but I agree with what alot of people are saying. "Metal supremacy" is far from the phrase I would use to describe it. Its a USA Explorer... with a cool finish, pickguard and covered pickups. Woot. As an owner of a Gibson Explorer, I love the guitars to death. But thats so far from an "original signature model." I still think it looks sweet though!

Tranquilliser

Reaction score
How are any of those required for "metal supremacy?"
Well, EMGs are pretty much a standard on just about every 'metal' guitar out there, as is 24 frets, and neck-through (or set-thru) often accompanies.

Gibson is very archaic in its guitar-making.
It's missing the mark lately.

Tranquilliser

Reaction score
What Brendon wanted, sure.
But it's not going to reach Gibson's claims of 'metal supremacy' with the specs.
Nothing wrong with the guitar. (except the differences to Skwisgaar's Explorer)
Just the claims being made about it.

Last edited:

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
What Brendon wanted, sure.
But it's not going to reach Gibson's claims of 'metal supremacy' with the specs.
Nothing wrong with the guitar. (except the differences to Skwisgaar's Explorer)
Just the claims being made about it.

Why isn't it?

Not everyone needs actives, a locking trem or whatever to make metal.

Tranquilliser

Reaction score
Why isn't it?

Not everyone needs actives, a locking trem or whatever to make metal.

In terms of a general and mass market, almost every 'metal' guitar out there at the very least has 24 frets, if not EMGs and a Floyd. (and in many cases Neckthrough)

EDIT:
Take a look at ESP/LTD's website (and Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson for that matter) the four big 'metal' guitar brands by most accounts - and just note how many or what percentage of their guitars have 24 frets and or EMGs.

NeglectedField

Reaction score
But there are plenty of instances of aesthetically metal guitars that don't necessarily have any of those things. EMGs are not the be-all and end-all of metal. Nor do all guitarists require 24 frets. My S320 has Seymour Duncans and 22 frets and is perfectly 'metal' sound-wise.

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
It's Brendon Small's sig, why shouldn't it have what he wanted on it

as for the 'metal' aspect of it, its because Dethklok are most likely the heaviest band to be associated with Gibson

You have also hit the nail on the head most other brands already do 24 fret EMG FR guitars, why do we need another one?

Tranquilliser

Reaction score
I'm not whinging about Brendon's specs.
Merely Gibson's claims.
Also, truly speaking, the player makes any guitar 'metal'.
And honestly, I don't really like EMGs.
I was speaking from a market point-of-view.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I don't get it, it doesn't have the same finish or EMGs from the show as it's come to be known. I don't see how it's related or a sig at all, unless it's just a Brendon sig, in which case the Dethklok reference makes no sense. :lol:

I guess I just...don't understand Gibson haha. I'm sure it'll sell well enough :yesway:

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
I don't get it, it doesn't have the same finish or EMGs from the show as it's come to be known. I don't see how it's related or a sig at all, unless it's just a Brendon sig, in which case the Dethklok reference makes no sense. :lol:

I guess I just...don't understand Gibson haha. I'm sure it'll sell well enough :yesway:

I think they refer to Dethklok as the live band with Brendon doing vocals and guitar...

i'm sure they could do the actual 'Dethklok' sigs, would be Epiphone though ;) haha

Reaction score
This just looks like some shit they already had, but just threw the Dethklok name on it to get it to sell. Has nothing to do with Dethklok and it's not all that great to be honest.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score

Let's see what happens in the next season.

Mr Violence

Reaction score
I've always gassed for an Explorer. And the close-but-no-cigar copies do NOT cut it. Don't like the Epiphone but I love the shape. This one is awesome, but 1.6k is not even close to worth it.

You can make short scale, 22 fret guitars with passives sound metal as fuck. I don't know what everyone is on about.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Gibson Dethklok Explorer 'Reaching for Metal Supremacy'
No 24 frets?
No Neckthru?
No EMGs?
Hardly going to be the metal supreme with those specs.
Amon Amarth use 22 frets explorers with stock pickups (Gibson pickups actually being one of the few manufacturer pickups to be good). Go tell them they're not metal.

as for the 'metal' aspect of it, its because Dethklok are most likely the heaviest band to be associated with Gibson
*cough*
See above. :D

')