Gibson explorer 76' with ebony fretboard?

• Thread starter venndi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

venndi

Reaction score
Hi!

I have never seen a gibson explorer with ebony fretboard (except some limited editions like gothic, voodoo etc).
The seller said that it is an original colour and the fretboard is not replaced, so, it is in original condition.
It is possible that Gibson had earlier produced explorers with ebony fretboard? This explorer was produced in 1995.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
05.pdf

That's the 96' export catalog.

So it's likely just a nicely aged rosewood board. The grain pattern looks far more like rosewood than the Gabon ebony they were using in the 90's.

EDIT: Also worth noting that serial brings it to the very end (December) of 1995, so it's most likely from the 1996 catalog year.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
I remember there was a white '76 Explorer made around 2008 I think that had an ebony fretboard. It seems that they did the ebony fretboard on some years for the white models and as you said limited run models.

A-Branger

Reaction score
maybe its your thing, but that massive sticker on the guitar just screams nope to me, same as the damage on the tip of the rear corner (bottom left) of the guitar. Thats a guitar that didnt had much love

zappatton2

Reaction score
As a Biohazard fan, I don't mind the sticker, and I just love Explorers! That thing is a beaut!!! I'll defer to the more knowledgeable, but I have seen rosewood boards have a very dark ebony look like that.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
maybe its your thing, but that massive sticker on the guitar just screams nope to me, same as the damage on the tip of the rear corner (bottom left) of the guitar. Thats a guitar that didnt had much love

How many explorers have you owned, I can tell you that I loved my explorer to bits but those corners love finding shit to run into

Ignoramus

Reaction score
When I got my classic white '76 explorer, it was the only color that had an ebony board, and for a bit more than the other colors with rosewood. To my knowledge, only the classic white ones had ebony.

jonsick

Reaction score
I had my white explorer refinished. I bought it new in about 2002 or so and the shop had me sign a warranty waiver as they reckoned the finish would go off white quite quickly. I thought, whatever, sign it. It took about 2 months tops for it to basically be off yellow. A year later, totally hated the finish as it was patchy and looked terrible. I had it (at great expense) sanded off and painted cherry. The grain underneath was really nice so was glad I did that instead of the straight red I was originally going for.

I would swear the boards from the 90s-2000s were a lot darker than the current ones. My V is from 2017 and the rosewood is super bright.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
How many explorers have you owned, I can tell you that I loved my explorer to bits but those corners love finding shit to run into
I own 3 explorers (Ok, 2 and a destroyer) and a few RR-type guitars and I never had any issue with keeping them in good condition. I don't know how people manage to bang them. The finish wearing off is normal, but I've seen some nightmare RR wings, dunno how people do it, really.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Or it's one that left the house and got played on stage. Anything from 1995 that looks new is probably a dog. ;)

A-Branger

Reaction score
Or it's one that left the house and got played on stage. Anything from 1995 that looks new is probably a dog. ;)
I get your point, but unless you are on a punk band smashing yourself against the drummer, then why a guitar being "gigged" NEEDS to be that damaged?.

you can still gig and take care of your guitar

light damage like on the one around the headstock I could understand.... but that massive damage on the bottom horn? nope. thats not a "my guitar its too big and I hit stuff with it...."..... thats a guitar who initially were like that and then the owner was like "meh I dont care any more aye"

if you like it with that "relic" then good for you. Im jsut saying that for me it would be a nope...its not a one of a kind color, you cna find black explorers, just change pickguard to suit.... its not a magical year... maybe the fretboard is unique? like the OP is asking about.... but unless its sold pretty cheap, then IMO its not worth it.... would drive me nuts seeing the damage all the time, plus the $$$$ to fix something like that

and also I bet you once you peel the sticker off (if you could manage to do it smoothly)... the pain under it would be a different shade of black.... so your sticker would never really go away

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The sticker part is true. Especially given that it's probably nitro.

The other damage? Shit happens. Every guitar with a wing that size that gets played on stage regularly eventually gets dinged there.

Alex79

Reaction score
I think it's a great looking guitar - for the right price I'd definitely buy it! I don't think it looks to "beat", but I would probably have a new nut cut for the guitar.
I had stickers on Nitro guitars and removed them without problems or marks, but you are running the risk of there being some stain/effect on it.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I get your point, but unless you are on a punk band smashing yourself against the drummer, then why a guitar being "gigged" NEEDS to be that damaged?.

you can still gig and take care of your guitar

light damage like on the one around the headstock I could understand.... but that massive damage on the bottom horn? nope. thats not a "my guitar its too big and I hit stuff with it...."..... thats a guitar who initially were like that and then the owner was like "meh I dont care any more aye"

if you like it with that "relic" then good for you. Im jsut saying that for me it would be a nope...its not a one of a kind color, you cna find black explorers, just change pickguard to suit.... its not a magical year... maybe the fretboard is unique? like the OP is asking about.... but unless its sold pretty cheap, then IMO its not worth it.... would drive me nuts seeing the damage all the time, plus the $$$$ to fix something like that

and also I bet you once you peel the sticker off (if you could manage to do it smoothly)... the pain under it would be a different shade of black.... so your sticker would never really go away

Guitars like that which don't have fancy finishes, beautifully figured woods, carved tops and detailing I view as tools to be used. I don't try to be precarious with them, but sometimes they get leant against something when a stand isn't available, sometimes part of their duty as a tool is performance, which you'd expect to be pretty aggressive in metal so being super careful to avoid bumps seems counter to the art. Maybe some do like to bash their guitars while wearing rings, gauntlets, chains or whatever their stage wear entails. Fair play.

I'd be unlikely to spend big money on a beat up guitar, granted, but I don't see any issue with it.

Dust_to_Dust

Mathew
Reaction score
I remember there was a white '76 Explorer made around 2008 I think that had an ebony fretboard. It seems that they did the ebony fretboard on some years for the white models and as you said limited run models.
Yeah they definitely did, I owned one of those!