Gimme your albums I'll rate them 1-10

• Thread starter coreysMonster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

Old album upload from 2 years ago. IMHO the bass is a little too high, and my songwriting has improved since then, but it's the only thing I have to show atm. Do your worst!

Pretty sweet!

I really like the groove you've got there. :hbang:

Not that I'm in any place to criticize, but maybe some of the songs (except the first and last ones) could use a little more variety distinguishing them from each other. Some of the moments I heard something interesting happening, but it'd be in the background. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's a bit of a risk with instrumental music that's more reliant on riffs without a lot of solos, if you know what I mean. The ending was a little drawn out - I've done stuff like that before and got some shit over it, so I say that more as observation than as something that bothered me. I thought this project was pretty cool. :yesway:

The snare drum could benefit from some personality, though, maybe a little too much low frequency was cut from it, but it sounds very dry to me. The rest of the mix sounds great to my ears.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

Track one sounds like it could have been something from Ron Jarzombek. That said, I really like Ron Jarzombek, and I really enjoyed that track.
Track two is good, but I think I already commented on that one.
Track three sounds a little floppy, but I think that's what you were going for. The riffs were pretty darn cool. The tight oddly syncopated part just before the two minute mark impressed me. The ending riff was pretty brutal.
Track four - I love it. This is great stuff! The wacky harmonies all over the track, Ron Jarzombek-esque solos, variety of compositional techniques...
Track five is tasteful.
A+

KailM

Reaction score
This one is hard. Not because of what it is, but because of what it could be. I'm gonna give a 5/10 for this. You have talent, and you can do better.

Thanks man, I'm pretty happy with a 5/10, haha; especially since black metal seldom tends to be anybody's favorite genre. I will be doing vocals for that track eventually and that will likely change the structure and/or mix. I have a few songs done that I think are better (and they have vocals, both black-metal style and clean), but I haven't released them yet. ;)

Here's my EP if you'd care to give it a listen: https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/sets/autumns-bite-ep

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
1000 internet likes should come your way for doing this!

I fully expect not to get a response to this, or else to get a score that is not a positive real number (shooting for -1 + 7i or maybe a poop emoji) , which is cool: Naegleria Fowleri - Life Cycle (Microtonal death/grind parrotcore)

Also, you guys have some really fucking good music here. This thread is very humbling. :yesway:
If anyone wants to make humourous and/or critical comments about this one, please do.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is 9/10 shit. I have zero complaints and I love this. I'm buying this with the next paycheck.
Hey, shit man, thank you. Given the stuff I play I figured this was a long shot. :lol: And I totally agree on TedEH's music, I bought "Wave" more or less the moment he released it. There's some really cool stuff on that disc.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Track one sounds like it could have been something from Ron Jarzombek. That said, I really like Ron Jarzombek, and I really enjoyed that track.
Track two is good, but I think I already commented on that one.
Track three sounds a little floppy, but I think that's what you were going for. The riffs were pretty darn cool. The tight oddly syncopated part just before the two minute mark impressed me. The ending riff was pretty brutal.
Track four - I love it. This is great stuff! The wacky harmonies all over the track, Ron Jarzombek-esque solos, variety of compositional techniques...
Track five is tasteful.
A+

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen to all the songs and for your kind words!

It's funny you mentioned Ron Jarzombek, I was taking a few lessons from him online a few years ago and he helped me with this EP and provided feedback. A very cool guy!

Thanks again for your compliments, great to hear you liked the tracks.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll pop this right here. I had a lot of fun making this cd. Lots of great memories!

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
Pretty sweet!

I really like the groove you've got there. :hbang:

Not that I'm in any place to criticize, but maybe some of the songs (except the first and last ones) could use a little more variety distinguishing them from each other. Some of the moments I heard something interesting happening, but it'd be in the background. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's a bit of a risk with instrumental music that's more reliant on riffs without a lot of solos, if you know what I mean. The ending was a little drawn out - I've done stuff like that before and got some shit over it, so I say that more as observation than as something that bothered me. I thought this project was pretty cool. :yesway:

The snare drum could benefit from some personality, though, maybe a little too much low frequency was cut from it, but it sounds very dry to me. The rest of the mix sounds great to my ears.

Thank you very much for listening my man!

I agree with you - it's hard to keep things fresh with the kinda music I was going for at the time. Also the snare was def stock sounding and could've been played with a little more for sure.

Again, very much appreciated. It was fun, and hopefully I'll get the time to do something like it again in the future.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Cliched generic melodic death thrash with synths.

https://catharist.bandcamp.com/album/the-occultist
(Don’t bother with the bonus tracks after the first two, they’re just on for the sake of completion)

This album is a collection of songs written at different times (over approx 10 years) so is a little all over the place style wise. We just do it for fun, not intentions of trying to make it big. Although he we did have label interest but I think that was a “pay to play” type scam. We’re totally self funded self recorded self taught etc, so even though sometimes the end product can be less than the sum of its parts, we’re keen!

EP and a concept album coming soon!

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Cliched generic melodic death thrash with synths.

Sounds pretty good! I especially liked the intro on the second song, I wouldn't mind a full album with that kind of vibe. Guitar tones could have some more bite, but otherwise I think the mix sounds pretty decent too (although it varies a bit from song to song).

Latest posts

')