Gimme your albums I'll rate them 1-10

• Thread starter coreysMonster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Thanks. That last link is still kinda old, ish. It's from around xmas time. I'd like to put stuff out more often buuuuuut I have too many hobbies. :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks. That last link is still kinda old, ish. It's from around xmas time. I'd like to put stuff out more often buuuuuut I have too many hobbies. :lol:
Same. :lol: I'm not working on my next album because I'm working on one with my dad and uncle, and because it's cycling season so more often than not nights and weekends I'm out on my road bike training. :lol:

FetzEgemony

Reaction score
well why not..
i think i did this 10 years ago.. recorded entirely in my bedroom, Mic hanging from the amp, stright into the pc with a jack cable :agreed:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't take long for the actual reviews to stop happening. :lol:

I mean, it not like the guy can just go listen to a dozen full length albums and half a dozen EPs and singles and review them all right now in real time to keep up with this. Maybe we could continue the thread by reviewing each other's titles while the OP either catches up or at least has time for his head to stop spinning from the barrage of eager bands looking for feedback.

As an aside, speaking firsthand, having someone else listen to something I worked on and then give feedback is like, well, it's hard to describe, but you spend hours and hours writing, rehearsing, recording, mixing, mastering, etc., your own music, then once it's done, you try to get it out there, only to realize that you are just one of umpteen trillion artists in the universe trying to get some feedback. Back around 2013-2014, there were a couple of sites that offered a community specifically for that, but they all dried up since then. I can't remember what they were all even called - one was coverium (or something like that) and was geared mostly toward covers, but also had a nice section for original stuff that was surprisingly active, and another was called "tone arena," which was geared mostly toward originals, but people would also upload covers, another was called "label heroes," and I got on board with it right as it was launching and managed to claim the #3 spot on the leaderboard despite not being that good... That was the most feedback I had ever received. I think the tone arena site might still be around, but it was just tumbleweeds and crickets chirping the last time I logged in. Sometimes people could be really brutal in their reviews, but I loved it, so long as they were more descriptive than "this is shit." :lol: It seems like these sites always go through the same cycle as this thread, only on a larger scale - "Send us your songs and get reviews" - "People send in songs" - "Site reviews songs" - "Suddenly, musicians from all over the Milky Way Galaxy hear about the site and inundate it with uploads" - "Site goes down and never recovers."

cip 123

Reaction score
well why not..
i think i did this 10 years ago.. recorded entirely in my bedroom, Mic hanging from the amp, stright into the pc with a jack cable :agreed:

Production wise it's pretty cool to hear a bedroom project rival some old metal records, but I'm just not in to the vocal style to give it a proper review. Some cool riffs tho!

This one was pretty darn good man, definitely some good skill and ears in there to write that stuff if there was more to it I'd be interested in an EP or album. Don't think you'll get many bites with a $7 tag though. My bands EP is free since no one really pays for stuff.

Quite like this, some really nice melodies, I'm not a massive fan of just guitar music so haven't listened to the whole thing.

If there is one thing I could add it would be the production, it leaves a little to be desired it sounds really good, but at the same time some sounds just like a really good demo I'd do for my band, especially the intro of spheres it just din't feel together enough. So just work on your production I think.

Did a few as it's kinda cool to hear others music on here

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
By the way, I quite liked that. It seemed a little heavier than Wave.

Rip me to shreds hahahahaha! This is the first album i ever did. The stuff i produce now is light years better, but...it's the best i could do at the time.

https://theicaruseffect.bandcamp.com/releases

Listened through that album. It was enjoyable. I'm going to pick it apart, I hope that doesn't give off the impression that I don't respect the efforts obviously put into this, or give off the impression that I didn't enjoy it.

For me, personally, some of the material seemed a little generic, particularly around the vocal delivery and lyrical content. I'd like to hear a little more personality from the guitar tone and the vocals, but I was really digging some of the bass arrangements (and the bass tone was pretty great) and the groovy riffs. The scratching took me by surprise, and I thought it fit the idiom of the song - kind of an Incubus-y thing. Some of the songs sounded kind of same-y after the first listen-through, though, which means I probably would have a blast seeing the band live, but I honestly probably wouldn't listen to the album a lot over a short period of time, you know?

The production sounds pretty good to me- I guess I don't have too much to say there. I'm obviously not an expert on production, but I think the mix sounds good.

Im a noob trying to do everything himself so please...go ahead...an opinion would really count.
https://theconstructivist.bandcamp.com/

Cool track.

I hope this can be taken constructively. Again, I can tell you put a lot of effort into this and it shows, but here's some criticism:

Guitar tone is pretty jarringly brittle, like in a way that sounds a lot like it was recorded directly through a distortion pedal into the DAW. The mix needs more bottom end, or something. I think the first thing to do would be to clean up the guitar tone into something that gels better with the bass and drums and then go from there. I'm really digging the vocals, though, and I'm not generally a fan of many extreme vocalists, but those vox were cool as hell!

I'm going to have to come back later to say more about this, but I just played the recommended track and that was really nifty. Tasteful use of effects, great guitar tone, kickass riffs, tight playing, cool gritty bass tone, fairly unique chord changes... I would take some of the overdubbed guitar parts down a little in the mix, personally, but it's not like it sounded bad, just a little overpowering at times. I like how the rhythm parts changed it up toward the end, too.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Quite like this, some really nice melodies, I'm not a massive fan of just guitar music so haven't listened to the whole thing.

If there is one thing I could add it would be the production, it leaves a little to be desired it sounds really good, but at the same time some sounds just like a really good demo I'd do for my band, especially the intro of spheres it just din't feel together enough. So just work on your production I think.

Thank you very much!
I need to learn how to mix properly, that and probably improve my drum programming (especially when it comes to fills).

I'm working on my next EP, and I was thinking whether to try and mix everything myself again or to pay someone who really knows what they are doing. I would love to learn how to produce a good sounding EP myself at home, but on the other hand I know someone with experience in mixing could make it sound so much better than I ever could.

I'm going to have to come back later to say more about this, but I just played the recommended track and that was really nifty. Tasteful use of effects, great guitar tone, kickass riffs, tight playing, cool gritty bass tone, fairly unique chord changes... I would take some of the overdubbed guitar parts down a little in the mix, personally, but it's not like it sounded bad, just a little overpowering at times. I like how the rhythm parts changed it up toward the end, too.

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words and am glad you like the track!

Thanks a lot to both of you for taking the time to listen and provide some feedback!

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
This one was pretty darn good man, definitely some good skill and ears in there to write that stuff if there was more to it I'd be interested in an EP or album. Don't think you'll get many bites with a $7 tag though. My bands EP is free since no one really pays for stuff.

Thank you for the kind words!

I write music for haunted attractions as a side career. That track is taken from my last LP, which is $7, however, it looks like that track alone has a $7 price tag, so that definitely needs to be changed, lol. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

EDIT* Price updated! Thanks again. :yesway:

PS. Don't tell yourself that no one really pays for stuff. If the music is good, and if you can reach the right audience, people will pay!

Last edited:

cip 123

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words!

I write music for haunted attractions as a side career. That track is taken from my last LP, which is $7, however, it looks like that track alone has a $7 price tag, so that definitely needs to be changed, lol. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

EDIT* Price updated! Thanks again. :yesway:

PS. Don't tell yourself that no one really pays for stuff. If the music is good, and if you can reach the right audience, people will pay!
Well so far my bands first EP has made £5.01

£5 from a friend who paid us and 1 pence from stream royalties :lol:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, last time I did a budgeted release, we only made back about 10% of what it cost to record in a studio. Since then, I've been taking the DIY approach, and made progressively less on each release. If I were doing it for the money, though, I wouldn't be in a microtonal death-grind-parrotcore band. :lol:

It is a little bit hot and cold to see one of my releases catch on in Russia (for example) enough to get a few hundred plays on Yandex or whatever streaming service, and then see the royalty payout at $0.006 USD (40 kopeks).

Coryd

Reaction score
Listened through that album. It was enjoyable. I'm going to pick it apart, I hope that doesn't give off the impression that I don't respect the efforts obviously put into this, or give off the impression that I didn't enjoy it.

For me, personally, some of the material seemed a little generic, particularly around the vocal delivery and lyrical content. I'd like to hear a little more personality from the guitar tone and the vocals, but I was really digging some of the bass arrangements (and the bass tone was pretty great) and the groovy riffs. The scratching took me by surprise, and I thought it fit the idiom of the song - kind of an Incubus-y thing. Some of the songs sounded kind of same-y after the first listen-through, though, which means I probably would have a blast seeing the band live, but I honestly probably wouldn't listen to the album a lot over a short period of time, you know?

The production sounds pretty good to me- I guess I don't have too much to say there. I'm obviously not an expert on production, but I think the mix sounds good.

Very cool man! I really appreciate you listening to it and letting me know what you think! To be honest i was waiting to just get ripped to shreds hahahaha! I played bass and i recorded all bass, and 50% of the guitar parts, programmed the drums and mixed and mastered it. Being a bass player...i made sure the listener would hear the bass. Incubus' SCIENCE album is a huge influence on me so i dig the comparison!

Many thanks again! I really appreciate hearing thoughts on the music!

cip 123

Reaction score
Yeah, last time I did a budgeted release, we only made back about 10% of what it cost to record in a studio. Since then, I've been taking the DIY approach, and made progressively less on each release. If I were doing it for the money, though, I wouldn't be in a microtonal death-grind-parrotcore band. :lol:

It is a little bit hot and cold to see one of my releases catch on in Russia (for example) enough to get a few hundred plays on Yandex or whatever streaming service, and then see the royalty payout at $0.006 USD (40 kopeks).

Most of our money comes from merch (granted we're still not making big bucks) but it's why I urge bands to make decent stuff, instead of just lame ass skull shirts.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I try really hard not to count the sales/money as a measure of how successful any music I make is. I think I've made maybe $200 in any personal music endeavors in my whole life (not counting the bands I've been in that manage their money separately, but they clearly operate at a loss as well, or any time I've applied music/audio knowledge at work). I've easily spend thousands to get to that point. :lol: But even that's not bad. I think of spending on music as a sort of investment in well-being. I go to work to support doing the rest of the things I'd like to do.

Latest posts

')