Glass Prison Live (petrucci rockin' the seven string ebmm)

• Thread starter Mastodon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spoongirl

Bunnies :wub:
Reaction score
I have that video in my PC. I don't like it at all, glass prison's album version is very solid and very "metal", this one is pretty weak and sounds like "computerized", plus labrie's voice is annoying as always. anyway.. personal tastes.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
Spoongirl said:
I have that video in my PC. I don't like it at all, glass prison's album version is very solid and very "metal", this one is pretty weak and sounds like "computerized", plus labrie's voice is annoying as always. anyway.. personal tastes.
Ditto, on the album this song is great but live it's...not so good, the only time I've heard a good live version of it was when I saw them in Wolverhampton and even then the arpeggio section sounded kinda mushy. Still, awesome song.

Ibycan7

Reaction score
Oh dude, the version on the gigantour DVD is probably my favorite because of the vibe but I didn't like the mix. you could not hear John M. very well and JP's sound was not standing out like it usually does. I liked the tone of the first solo.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
Ibycan7 said:
Oh dude, the version on the gigantour DVD is probably my favorite because of the vibe but I didn't like the mix. you could not hear John M. very well and JP's sound was not standing out like it usually does. I liked the tone of the first solo.
thats because John M. is a figment(SP) of everyones imagination.:lol:

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to have to agree with the others here and say I wasn't very impressed with that. It just sounded weak. Granted, that is comparing it to an album version, but even compared to other Dream Theater stuff I've seen, that is just weak sounding.

Ibycan7

Reaction score
well keep in mind also. that you can't compare the recording with the live sound too much. they are 2 different animals all together.

I woul have to say that their sound live is solid.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Hmmm, I havn't heard the studio version, so I wouldn't be able to tell.

MetalMike

IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as calling Glass Prison "bad" live but obviously it's nowhere near as good as the studio version. As much as I like JP it's usually his doing on the arpeggio section. I've seen the song live a few times and have yet to see him play it as well as I think he should being that he wrote it and his elaborate practice regime he describes in his video. Rudess is almost always 100% on in that song and their entire set for that matter. As good as JP is sometimes I feel that JR makes him look bad.

As far as the comparision goes, it's like comparing apples and oranges. You're not supposed to expect a studio level recording. Anyone who has attended any concert would know that. That's part of the reason I don't appreciate live dvds. They don't give the viewer the vibe of actually being their which is impossible anyway, making them more suseptable to criticism. If you were at the concert as a fan you might be slightly dissapointed at some aspects but overall there is a possibility that you could consider it an amazing show whereas the average dvd viewer will not.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
metalmike23 said:
I wouldn't go as far as calling Glass Prison "bad" live but obviously it's nowhere near as good as the studio version. As much as I like JP it's usually his doing on the arpeggio section. I've seen the song live a few times and have yet to see him play it as well as I think he should being that he wrote it and his elaborate practice regime he describes in his video. Rudess is almost always 100% on in that song and their entire set for that matter. As good as JP is sometimes I feel that JR makes him look bad.
Well JP didn't actually write that part, JD did. Aparently it took him months to get it properly (alt picked), I definately don't expect it to sound the same recorded as it is live when the majority of the time he sweeps it live.

MetalMike

IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD
Contributor
Reaction score
Papa Shank said:
Well JP didn't actually write that part, JD did. Aparently it took him months to get it properly (alt picked), I definately don't expect it to sound the same recorded as it is live when the majority of the time he sweeps it live.

Well I didn't know that.

Regardless, like I said above I would never expect the overall performance to be anywhere near the studio recording. What I meant was that basically sometimes I feel that he could play that specific part just a little bit better. I mean your talking about the guy who preaches perfect technique in his video and not to speed up until your ready, etc. It makes me think a little less of him to be honest.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
I remember JP saying sometimes Mike Portnoy would get carried away and play the song a bit faster than the original tempo, making it therefore harder to play. Haven't watched the video yet so I can't tell if this is the case.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
when I'm at a concert, I"m just enjoying myself and having a great time, I rarely have time to critisize anything.

Paul Warren

Contributor
Reaction score
metalmike23 said:
Well I didn't know that.

Regardless, like I said above I would never expect the overall performance to be anywhere near the studio recording. What I meant was that basically sometimes I feel that he could play that specific part just a little bit better. I mean your talking about the guy who preaches perfect technique in his video and not to speed up until your ready, etc. It makes me think a little less of him to be honest.

JP will be the first one to tell you that there are plenty of things he struggles with, including the GP arps. I don't believe we should "think a little less of him" because we found a Youtube video where he doesn't nail it perfectly. They play 100 shows a year (when touring) doing all that ridiculously difficult stuff and changing setlists constantly. I can't believe they pull half of it off. That being said, I've only seen 3 people ever pull off the GP arps (other than JP) convincingly. Of course, they were all sitting down in a studio type setting.

I'll probably get accused of bias in my comments :), but knowing the guy and how in-check his ego is makes me want to defend him. Having good guys like him out there is a good thing for the guitar community, regardless of what he might slop up live. :)

I will say one thing about sloppy playing. It's not about who is the most perfect player - it's about who is the best at making mistakes into good things and recovering nicely, because everybody will make their mistakes. Ron Thal is one player I have seen play and make lots of "errors". However, he's also the greatest player I've ever seen live because he has the ability to play right through his mistakes and even turn them into something unique and musical. Lately, I've actually tried to focus more on just turning my bad moments into good ones, because I think that is just about as important as learning any other technique or phrasing.

paul

steve777

Reaction score
metalmike23 said:
Well I didn't know that.

I've seen him perform this song live three times. Twice he nailed it, and once it was a little shakey. Who cares? It's a bitch of a part. Considering the volume of stuff thay guy pulls off in a 3 hour show, night after night, I think he more then backs up the suggestions and advice that he offers up in his video. I don't think that takes away any credibility of the advice the guy gives in his instructional video. And he never said he had "perfect" technique, or guaranteed that he would never struggle with an incredibly difficult part live. In fact, there are a few parts in that instructional video where he points out specific things that he struggles with regularly (i.e. inside picking).

Wheres your video?

')