Go Funk yourself

• Thread starter Metal Ken
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
So i'm listening to James Brown now. What are some other artists i might want to check out? Essential recordings?

Direct me, please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D

Desecrated

Sly and the Family Stone,
George Clinton and Parliament
Funkadelic
Curtis Mayfield
Bootsy Collins

And of course; "I'm Rick James bitch"

thedonutman

Reaction score
I suggest you check out Graham Central Station and the other Larry Graham related stuff.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Stanley Clarke had a damn good stab at Funk music, for a Jazz fusion player!

And then for the natural progression of Bass playing, listen to some Victor Wooten. All things lead to Vic :)

thedonutman

Reaction score
Stanley Clarke had a damn good stab at Funk music, for a Jazz fusion player!

And then for the natural progression of Bass playing, listen to some Victor Wooten. All things lead to Vic :)

Listening to Vic will only highlight one's incompetence as a bass player. :D

But since we're talking about Funk/Jazz bass players:

Louis Johnson
Marcus Miller

As for essential recordings, I'm not sure if it classifies as 100% funk, but Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" is a great album.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I'd put Headhunters down as a Jazz Fusion album, but it is a decent album. Vastly overrated imo, definitely not the greatest fusion album of all time like some people bill it!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
grand funk railroad? lol

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Funkadelic -- "Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On"
Parliament -- "Mothership Connection"
The Brothers Johnson -- "Blam!"
Ohio Players -- "Skin Tight"
Stevie Wonder -- "Innervisions"
Kool & The Gang -- "Wild And Peaceful"
Bootsy Collins -- "Ahh...The Name Is Bootsy, Baby"

StevieHimself

7-STRING SCORPION
Reaction score
My essential funk albums (just my opinion of course):

1. Prince...well, basically ANYTHING!
2. Bootsy AH THE NAME IS BOOTSY, BABY
3. Dag RIGHTEOUS (under-rated album!!)
4. Living Colour VIVID (mostly heavy rock/metal but when they funk it up...DAMN!)
5. James Brown STAR TIME
6. TM Stevens BOOM!
7. Red Hot Chili Peppers FREAKY STYLEY
8. Fishbone TRUTH AND SOUL
9. Level 42 WORLD MACHINE
10. Honourable mention: Lock-Up SOMETHING BITCHIN' THIS WAY COMES
(Hard-to-find album featuring Tom Morello before he was in RATM. He NEVER mentions this album but it's not that bad, really. A tad safe at times but still has some decent grooves.)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't find any Bootsy CDs.. But i did pick up Parliament's "mothership connection". Fucking awesoem \m/

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't find any Bootsy CDs.. But i did pick up Parliament's "mothership connection". Fucking awesoem \m/

If you like that, pick up a copy of the DVD "The Mothership Connection Live From Houston", recorded at the Houston Summit in 1976. As good as the PFunk could be in the studio, live it absolutely kills, and the tours back in the '70s featured a stage show that made Kiss look like a bar band. Highly recommended. Here is the opening track from the video, "Cosmic Slop":

I also can't say enough about Funkadelic's "Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On"--recorded by largely the same cast of characters as "Mothership Connection". If you didn't know, both Parliament and Funkadelic were the same group of people, led by George Clinton. Albums released as Parliament focused on poppier tunes and featured horns. Funkadelic albums were a lot weirder and substituted layers of acid-drenched guitars for the horns.

Here is an excellent video of "Red Hot Momma", the first track off of "Standing on the Verge", from the early '90s with an allstar band featuring former PFunk keyboardist Bernie Worrell, bassist T.M. Stevens, guitarist Larry Mitchell, and featuring a solo from legendary Funkadelic guitarist Eddie Hazel, shortly before he passed away. It's not actually Parliament-Funkadelic, but it gives you a great idea how amazing Funkadelic could be.

')