GOC Materia 8 strings - Any opinions?

• Thread starter neuk01642
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neuk01642

Reaction score
Hey
Thinking about getting into the mix on the next run of GOC Materia 8 strings.

Thought I'd pole opinions and see if anyone had had any experience with their guitars?

YouTube and Facebook reviews look favourable and there are a couple of good players using them but wanted to get a broader sense of quality and playability.

Any current owners on here care to venture and opinion. All input welcomed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Have you joined the Facebook group for the runs? That's what I did when I was interested. Based on the many complaints about hardware from early adopters, and the weird way GOC decided to handle the aftermarket pickups which were supposed to come installed from the factory, I don't trust the brand nearly enough to pre-order at this point.

It's certainly possible to get a good instrument from China (my Dingwall NG3 and Milagro classical guitar are both excellent) but I'd need a way stronger track record to order something direct from there. It's possible that they'll sort the current issues on future runs but I personally would need concrete proof that their hardware and QC issues are fully sorted before ponying up.

There are also a few NGDs from the Materia run on here. Look them up if you haven't already.

neuk01642

Reaction score
Have you joined the Facebook group for the runs? That's what I did when I was interested. Based on the many complaints about hardware from early adopters, and the weird way GOC decided to handle the aftermarket pickups which were supposed to come installed from the factory, I don't trust the brand nearly enough to pre-order at this point.

It's certainly possible to get a good instrument from China (my Dingwall NG3 and Milagro classical guitar are both excellent) but I'd need a way stronger track record to order something direct from there. It's possible that they'll sort the current issues on future runs but I personally would need concrete proof that their hardware and QC issues are fully sorted before ponying up.

There are also a few NGDs from the Materia run on here. Look them up if you haven't already.
Thanks for the reply.
Yep I’m on the FB group and the overwhelming verdict seems to be yes there were issues with some of the elements early on but they also seem to be making a good go of supply replacement and upgraded parts to early adopters. They also seem to be manufacturing a lot of bespoke parts as opposed to by stock. So maybe they’ve got over the teething issues.

Anyway, will check if the NGDs here. Has to be said I did try and search but turned up nothing. Obvious looking in the wrong place.

thanks again.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
...the overwhelming verdict seems to be yes there were issues with some of the elements early on but they also seem to be making a good go of supply replacement and upgraded parts to early adopters. They also seem to be manufacturing a lot of bespoke parts as opposed to by stock. So maybe they’ve got over the teething issues.

It's totally feasible that things are headed in a good direction, but there's no guarantee until "seem to" and "maybe" become "did." And maybe not even then, if over a decade of observing this kind of stuff here is any indication. The one definite positive sign in this situation is that guys who paid did actually receive instruments, as low a bar as that is.:lol:

I don't want to come across as negative or trying to cast aspersions on anyone involved, but being cautious in matters like these has saved me thousands of dollars versus some other folks on this forum. With that said, I'll butt out and hopefully some folks with firsthand experience will weigh in.

neuk01642

Reaction score

neuk01642

Reaction score
It's totally feasible that things are headed in a good direction, but there's no guarantee until "seem to" and "maybe" become "did." And maybe not even then, if over a decade of observing this kind of stuff here is any indication. The one definite positive sign in this situation is that guys who paid did actually receive instruments, as low a bar as that is.:lol:

I don't want to come across as negative or trying to cast aspersions on anyone involved, but being cautious in matters like these has saved me thousands of dollars versus some other folks on this forum. With that said, I'll butt out and hopefully some folks with firsthand experience will weigh in.
All valid point man and I asked for opinion and appreciate you taking the time.
I live in an inexpensive guitar word unfortunately. I took a punt on Agile and got one of their 8 strings shipped from the US and it is a brilliant guitar for the money and I guess I was kind of hoping for more of the same with GOC. I also like some of the eco moves they’re making and the fact that they’re putting in a lot of customer service effort.
I guess we’ll see when the next run kicks off how I’m feeling.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I live in an inexpensive guitar word unfortunately. I took a punt on Agile and got one of their 8 strings shipped from the US and it is a brilliant guitar for the money and I guess I was kind of hoping for more of the same with GOC.

Agile is a solid value brand. If they made a design as cool as the Materia I'd buy it without hesitation. Unfortunately they still need to up their headless game a bit in my opinion. Their current head pieces need some work, but if they ever make a multiscale Chirality without a burl top I'd be interested.

Last edited:

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Agile is a solid value brand. If they made a design as cool as the Materia I'd buy it without hesitation. Unfortunately they still need to up their headless game a bit in my opinion. Their current head pieces need some work, but if they ever make a multiscale Chirality without a burl top I'd be interested.

I feel like you could jigsaw some of the “paddle” off and install a different string lock system like a hipshot low pro or mera or something but I agree you shouldn’t have to in the first place

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I feel like you could jigsaw some of the “paddle” off and install a different string lock system like a hipshot low pro or mera or something but I agree you shouldn’t have to in the first place

You actually had me briefly considering that. :lol: But then I remembered the burl tops...

I actually looked at the Agile Headlesses after my last post and it looks like they've improved again. The Chiral Parallax 7 actually looks pretty cool even with the burl top and the odd headpiece. No 8 string version at the moment, sadly, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one in the future. Hopefully a natural or solid color...

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Yeah, my opinion on them was that the hardware was the weakest point. They're supposed to be switching hardware on some things (at least the headpieces) to fix some issues. I'd want a different bridge myself. I don't like the feel of the tuners.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
If they would have just put the truss rod on a wheel at the body-end of the neck, they could have staggered those string retainers and taken at least an inch of the "nub". They look really good for the price, but it seems like a weird design decision.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Any guitar that doesn't have a truss rod wheel spoke, annoys me so much. It's such a great feature and makes adjustments nearly instantaneous.

')