God, Aliens and Astronauts

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
We're a computer simulation, created by a race that doubted its own reality and decided to test the possibility of a digital universe, as the programs that created them did. We are one of many digital dimensions, programs testing the boundaries of what they perceive as reality. In time, we will create our own universe, and only then will we realise that reality as we know it is meaningless. We are a program within a program within a program.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johnny_ace

Reaction score
Why not live life, do good enjoy and whatever happens after you die happens, you deal with it when you get there? too many people take too much time worrying about what could happen when you die and waste their lives away, instead of enjoying it, life is to short to dwell on that you'll have eternity when you die....unless you reincarnate as super stellar being or come back as a zombie....

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Why not live life, do good enjoy and whatever happens after you die happens, you deal with it when you get there? too many people take too much time worrying about what could happen when you die and waste their lives away, instead of enjoying it, life is to short to dwell on that you'll have eternity when you die....unless you reincarnate as super stellar being or come back as a zombie....

Dude... Have you seriously thought about hell? I'm an atheist, and I'm glad I don't believe in it, because it'd give me serous anxiety problems. Endless torment for eternity, physical and psychological pain that never gets soothed by endorphins or dopamine, tortures worse than anything any human has ever conceived. Pain that would be impossible in our world to replicate, and it never stops. Ever. Each day becomes meaningless, as there is no cycle of torture, it's just a nonstop thrill ride of excruciating, body-wracking, exposed-nerve-pulling insanity.

If you believe in an afterlife, you better start covering your bases.

johnny_ace

Reaction score
Dude... Have you seriously thought about hell? I'm an atheist, and I'm glad I don't believe in it, because it'd give me serous anxiety problems. Endless torment for eternity, physical and psychological pain that never gets soothed by endorphins or dopamine, tortures worse than anything any human has ever conceived. Pain that would be impossible in our world to replicate, and it never stops. Ever. Each day becomes meaningless, as there is no cycle of torture, it's just a nonstop thrill ride of excruciating, body-wracking, exposed-nerve pulling insanity.

If you believe in an afterlife, you better start covering your bases.

As an atheist why are you worried, and that's the point i was making, ifthere is a supreme being judgment when you die and you lived your life doing good ect ect pretty much what every religion preaches minus the WBBC and some other random ones, you got nothing to worry about, im sure a God that "gave " you free will will not judge if you didnt believe in him all your life even though you did good and lived life in the straight and narrow you should be covered

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Well, many christian sects see hell as not literal pain, but more like being separated from the presence of God, and I have no idea of how that is supposed rate on an uncomfortableness-scale..

And Swedish protestants don't really believe in hell at all.

johnny_ace

Reaction score
I say you can make this life your heaven or hell....ooooor what if we are dead and this is pergatory...im not trying to make a serious thread here so lighten it up because im sure someone is going to come in and be like"Well the bible says That Jeebus is blah blah blah.." so i gues im open to the understanding of others people beliefs and live your life the way you see fit to you, weather it be god(s), aliens biggfoot whatever

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Well, many christian sects see hell as not literal pain, but more like being separated from the presence of God, and I have no idea of how that is supposed rate on an uncomfortableness-scale..

I'm pretty much in this spot right now, and fortunately, it's quite comfy. :cool:

johnny_ace

Reaction score
All in all very open to alien theories, ghosts and the paranormal, it's good to be able to be open stuff we don't know much about

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
My view-point is the skeptical view, one should believe as many true things as possible. If something is not verified, one should suspend judgement, and if something is unverifiable, it should be recognized as such. I believe it was Bertrand Russell who formulated it first...

The skeptics has a saying:
"It's good to be open-minded, but there is a difference between that and having such an open mind that your brain falls out":lol:

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
All of you are idiots. I'm literally revealing the truth to you, as was revealed to me by an elder race of beings we call gods, and you just blithely ignore it.

Fools, the lot of you. Clearly your love of the halfling's leaf has slowed your mind.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
The other day I thought about the fear of death, and initially I was like fuck I don't want to die man...but being an atheist I started to think what would happen...does my mind just stop, or is there some last hurrah of happiness from my life? I really thought about it but then I figured it doesn't matter, since if god exists the way a lot of religions say it does then since I don't believe I'll go to hell. But I've been a good guy so far, and don't see myself becoming a bad person anytime soon. And if I'm wrong and go to heaven hey, sweet. "My bad heaven people. It's pretty badass here." But I think I'll just stop when I die. I can't be angry because I won't exist as a mind. I don't just see all black either because I can't see and black no longer exists. I can't even be worried or even think at all.

Total nothingness. Just think about that for a moment. Blows my damn mind.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Personally, I am not concerned with what happens to me, I'll be dead anyway, but I do feel like I am going to miss the people who die before me. That is to me the most intriguing concept about heaven, as I do love my loved ones:lol:

TristanTTN

Reaction score
My view on what happens after death is a bit hard to put in words, but I'll try...

As an atheist, I do not believe in a heaven/hell or afterlife, but I do believe in another life. Not meaning that I am still me in the new life, but some other living creature, whether human or not, that has the ability to sense time and remember events.

I've thought of complete nothingness like Spaceman Spiff a few times and it was quite mind blowing, but it just did not make enough sense to me.

During the state of nothingness, nothing can be sensed, obviously. Therefore time itself will feel as if it has passed by in a millisecond even if the actual state of nothingness has been a million years.

My point is that after one dies, they will immediately be able to sense life as another living thing, but this is only true if there is a period of nothingness after we die.

Sorry if that was a bit confusing. Feel free to interpret it your own way or disagree.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I always found it funny how this sort of explanation still doesn't in any way cut a possible "creator" out of the picture.

True, but irrelevant. It doesn't eliminate any possibility of an omnipotent invisible buddy, but it also doesn't supply one shred of evidence for them either. The non-existence of disproof is not anywhere near equivalent to proof of existence.

It's like me saying I can throw a 500 m.p.h fastball; you asking me to prove it, and I just say, "Prove that I can't".

It's not up to the "Astronauts" to disprove Gods/Aliens, their sycophants need to prove the existence of their Gods/Aliens.

Ray

Last edited:

guitareben

Reaction score
For the moment I don't believe in God or Aliens, because I have no reason to believe. If someone actually had some form of evidence... then yea... But lets face it, that's unlikely to happen (with God anyway)

:p

ILuvPillows

Baby seal will destr
Reaction score
Whilst we're on the 'mindblowing' topic, imagine for a moment that we actually did find proof of a God(s), in the real world, not death. Real proof that there is something really big and....omnipotent, omniscient. I mean, whales are amazing because they're a living thing, intelligent and absolutely huge. But a god....

Reaction score
Isn't there something like 17 Billion earth sized planets within the habitable zone within our galaxy alone ? My personal opinion is that I think its safe to assume that within our universe there

are other civilizations.

Either way, as far as a creator Im not sure and Im hoping it will be a long long time until I find out :lol:

Yeah, there probably has been other civilizations, and there probably will be other ones, too, but according to Drake's equation (with the newest data available), there is currently only 1 civilization in the Milky Way, being ours. [EDIT : that's for Today's skeptical estimates... the optimistic one is way too optimistic for me]

Of course, we cannot know for sure how long a civilization can last, and how long it can be in a technologically-advanced state, so this is mostly arbitrary. A non-human civilization could last billions of years, or a few months, we are just assuming.

Then, even if we had 2 civilizations in the MW, how could they meet?

Anyways, have fun with this : BBC - Future - Science & Environment - Drake equation: How many alien civilizations exist?

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
sgc_2_d55awmb_zps1c02c6c4.png

')