Godzilla 2014

• Thread starter ghostred7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Loved the drop scene. Especially when the had cleared the clouds and were faced with Godzilla.

I've actually never seen a Godzilla film, but I love me some monster movies with awesome CGI.

Yeah i've never seen any ones except the '98 Hollywood Godzilla film (loved it as a kid, i must say)

Are any of them actually good quality? Can you recommend any?

wankerness

Reaction score
Yeah i've never seen any ones except the '98 Hollywood Godzilla film (loved it as a kid, i must say)

Cloverfield and Pacific Rim are good CGI giant monster movies with buildings getting smashed and whatnot. The Host, Trollhunter, Super 8 and Monsters are also great too but their monsters are much smaller scale and the movies are less about things getting smashed. Peter Jackson's King Kong isn't bad if you fast forward through the first half and watch the non-extended edition, but again it's a monster that's only about 25 feet tall that doesn't do much smashing of things :D

Hellboy 2 has a scene with a huge plant monster that's a clear homage to Godzilla flicks, but that certainly isn't a giant monster movie for the other 90% of the movie. The most imposing and threatening giant critter I can remember in a movie was that thing at the end of "The Mist," but it's just one shot! "War of the Worlds" is another borderline one, there's a lot of really stunning destruction by giant tripod things with lasers for the first half before it shits the bed.

There really aren't very many giant monster movies with heavy CGI that aren't total charmless garbage made by the Sci-Fi channel. :( "Gamera: Attack of Legion," "Gamera: Revenge of Iris," "Godzilla Mothra King Ghidorah: Monsters All Out-Attack" and "Godzilla: Tokyo SOS" are all great fun and have SOME cgi but are largely man in a suit. This is no problem for me since I'm not a big fan of CGI but it sounded like for some reason that's what you people are into.

wrongnote85

Reaction score

aside from you're unfortunate experience with the GINO film, what kind of movies do you like? i ask because there are A LOT of godzilla films but they're radically different from film to film (i.e. some are sci fi, some are action, some are horror/thriller, some are comedies, kids movies, you catch my drift)

wankerness

Reaction score
aside from you're unfortunate experience with the GINO film, what kind of movies do you like? i ask because there are A LOT of godzilla films but they're radically different from film to film (i.e. some are sci fi, some are action, some are horror/thriller, some are comedies, kids movies, you catch my drift)

I think he would dislike every godzilla movie based on his posts here. The essentials of each period imo are:

Godzilla (1954): really dark and somber, only one that could be considered an actual classic
Godzilla vs Mothra (1964): Probably the best made of the sequels, moves along at a good clip, has pretty good fx, the characters and dialogue are much better than average, etc.
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974): The most fun of the pure ridiculous period, this one has aliens who turn into boogery green monkeys when injured trying to take over the world with a robot godzilla, it's better made than most of the other 70s ones while also being completely ridiculous. One of the catchiest soundtracks ever, too.
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991): Another very ridiculous one that's kind of heavy on dialogue, but it's my favorite of the later run of sequels. It has a weirdo time-travel plot and a lot of silly hollywood references and a nice split between impressive FX and really really cheesy ones.
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS: This is my favorite of the "millennium" ones which isn't saying a whole lot, it's heavier on monster action than most of them and isn't as boring or stupid as the others from 1999 on. GMK is probably the "best quality" one but it's more tedious with the stupid old man ghost and the way the monsters are all GREAT SPIRITS or whatever. That one has the most menacing godzilla of any movie, though.

I've seen all of them multiple times besides the post 1999 ones cause I didn't like most of them at all. I think almost all of them have some redeeming values. I really like Godzilla Vs Mothra (92) and Mechagodzilla (93) and Destroyer (95) as well as some of the original run like Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster and Son of Godzilla. The ones to be sure to avoid are Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla Final Wars. Godzilla Vs Gigan and Godzilla Vs Megalon are also mindblowingly terrible and loaded with stock footage but they have so much monster fighting in them I can't come down too hard on them, they're highly entertaining and I loved them as a kid. Godzilla vs the Smog Monster is the single weirdest one in the whole series and will probably make you feel stoned.

wrongnote85

Reaction score
idk man, i understand why there's a lot of final wars hate from a hardcore fan perspective, but to the average movie viewer i think that one might be one of the easiest to enjoy just because of all the action and batshit OTT stuff going on.

i'm not really one to write descriptions, but others i would recommend would be:

king kong vs. godzilla
both ghidora films from the 60's
destroy all monsters
terror of mechagodzilla
godzilla 84'

non godzilla films that are awesome:
rodan
war of the gargantuas
gamera vs. barougon
gamera vs. guiron
gamera vs. gyaos
the gamera trilogy from the 90's

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Whoa thanks for the replies.

Actually I generally want to stay away from mindless disaster movies that are based around the latest in cool CGI effects and explosions. The idea I had was that Godzilla had a certain amount of cult and mythology behind it and that there would be a film out there with some sense of art and a degree of substance to it. I guess that's what i'm looking for.
I like the way this trailer isn't giving too much away and is setting the scene for a dark atmosphere contrary to the usual STOMP STOMP RAAHR kind of film we've come to expect - Pacific Rim for example would probably only appeal to the testosterone in my brain so i'd love to SEE it but maybe not quite WATCH it.
So would you say the 1954 and '64 are worth looking out for?

Now I also want to see what 'The Mist' is all about

wankerness

Reaction score
What, the Mist? haha okay

It's definitely not "terrible," but the ending sure is, and sours my opinion on the whole thing. Up until then it's a good monster flick with some forced social commentary. Look up the part with the giant monster on youtube, regardless of what you think of the rest of the movie that's a pretty awesome scene!

The only godzilla movies with any real darkness or symbolism are the original and SORT OF the aforementioned GMK. Godzilla 1985 (aka Return of Godzilla) attempted to bring back some of that too but sorta failed.

Strangely enough the closest movies that came to that idea after the original godzilla were the late 90s Gamera trilogy (Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, Attack of Legion, and Revenge of Iris). They start out sort of light and become less so as they go on, but they're about the only japanese monster flicks with any emphasis on the human toll whatsoever. After that trilogy was finished the guy who did them was hired by the Godzilla studio to do a Godzilla movie, and GMK (full title = Godzilla Mothra King Ghidorah: Monsters All-Out Attack or something stupid like that) was what came out of it. It's not as good as the Gamera flicks but yeah, that's why that one's a cut above the rest of the recent Godzilla movies and why Godzilla is actually menacing in it.

Avoid all the early gamera movies (1965-1980 or whatever) like the plague, they're like a bargain basement version of the silliest godzilla movies. Some of them are certainly entertaining to me but they're just pure low-budget ridiculousness and most of them star kids.

wrongnote85

Reaction score
one thing that should be pointed out about those gamera flicks is that they're violent as all hell. i'm talking monsters impaling and dismembering each other kinda violent. and most of them star kids.

yea...japan.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Hmm...I think I'll wait for this new one to come out, it looks promising :D

edit: although i'll definitely look out for the original ones too

wrongnote85

Reaction score
if this movie is close to clover field, i'm sold

it's not going to be a POV movie. it'll be about a giant monster showing up and throwing a fit, while fighting two other monsters in the process. also, some things will happen with people.

:shred:

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
didn't know this was happening till my mate showed me this trailer last night. This trailer has got me mega pumped. Very good teaser as well, who didn't get a chill hearing that roar from godzilla and seeing it at the end!!!

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
My little brother is a sheep, watches derogatory reviews of movies and games online, then states it's his own opinion. He tried telling me the new Godzilla will be worse than the 1998 one because 'This Godzilla doesn't even look like Godzilla! I mean, look at it's head!'. I laughed hysterically in his face.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
My little brother is a sheep, watches derogatory reviews of movies and games online, then states it's his own opinion. He tried telling me the new Godzilla will be worse than the 1998 one because 'This Godzilla doesn't even look like Godzilla! I mean, look at it's head!'. I laughed hysterically in his face.
There are way to many people in this world like that.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score

Generally, I'm not a proponent of fratricide. However, every rule does have an exception...

Latest posts

')