Godzilla 2014

• Thread starter ghostred7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Ok, saw it opening night of course.

I cant remember how to do the green spoilers background :lol: So I wont say much.
It was good, but not amazing. The trailers really got me pumped & I dont think it lived up to it. Definitely worth seeing in the cinema, its so big & loud that you really need to go to see it.

A few things gave me the shits, but I wont elaborate. I cant remember the damn green code!
I wont rush to see it again, but I'm glad I did last night.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I cant remember how to do the green spoilers background :lol: So I wont say much.
I cant remember the damn green code!

Bro, it's exactly what you might imagine. You start with
and then close with a [/ spoiler] tag that doesn't have the space

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Cheers MFB!

* Hi, I'm Bryan Cranston, I made every trailer seem like I'm the main actor, but actually...*dead*
* Battleships & aircraft carriers sailing alongside Godzilla as he heads into battle was super lame
* Every time a big fight was about to start & you were "Everything is about to get f**ked!", the camera would pan away or the scene would change. It was really annoying
* Godzilla finishes annihilator the 2 MUTO & then just wanders back into the ocean with everyone heaps happy like he's a hero. How about no, I've just wiped out these 2 monsters now on to you defenseless humans!
* What is good though is the nuclear bad breath that Godzilla has

I'm glad I saw it at the cinema because it's huge & loud, but the trailers got me pumped & for me it didnt follow through

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I'm going to see it tomorrow with my friend Serra, apparently.

Wasn't really planning on going to see it, but hey, why not?

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Just got back. As an old school Goji fan, I loved it. It was paced very well, reminiscent of the original, Jaws, Alien, etc. I liked the easter eggs I was able to see. Some of the issues that Ultra is stating didn't bother me. No right or wrong, just difference of personal preference. Gareth Edwards has definitely made his mark. Most importantly, this is a movie that I feel does the legacy proud.

my family and i yelled "Fatality" almost in unison at the end of that last atomic breath lol

wrongnote85

Reaction score
grabs face, pries open, fire down throat, removes head, drops head, takes a nap.

shit went DOWN!

Bodes

Reaction score
I really left the cinemas very.... Unsure. Though it wasn't a bad movie. There was certainly nothing fantastic about it.
I did like the references to history.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
I'm kind of obsessed with this poster.

_1398354726.jpg

I love this, and found it on ebay, but it's in China.

About the movie: I liked it a lot. Sure, it could have been more monster less humans, but eh. I enjoyed myself.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Well, that was a descriptive review.

Well, my god man, for a movie about giant monsters fighting there was a lot of scene cuts away form the fights, most of the plot was really terrible but not the funny terrible. 3/10 out of 10 wouldn't recommend unless you go with 4 other friends and make Gojira references the whole time.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
The movie was good. There were enough human elements to make you want to see how they're going to deal with their own dumbass mistakes. Godzilla's around to .... shit up and they built up to the fights, and I think it was smart.

You don't want to blow your load right at the start. People went for the fight scenes, so having them wait, and tease them into anticipation, was a good idea. Same with the radioactive fire, you knew it was coming, and when you saw the dorsal scales glow blue you ....in knew shit was about to go down.

People are excited about this movie because it looks great, keeps you anticipating the monster fights, and gives enough fan service to really make people enjoy the film. People clapped in my theater when we heard the first roar. If you went in expecting Godzilla 2000 and all he does is fight monsters and there's very little to no human involvement in the movie, you're going to be disappointed. But if you go in wanting a good godzilla movie, you've got one here. Just let the little kid in you free to enjoy it, instead of the jaded adult most of us have turned into regarding movies.

wankerness

Reaction score
Actually, Godzilla 2000 had way too little in the way of monsters and especially monster fights! That movie was mainly about the family that followed Godzilla around in their vehicle. Anyway, thanks for the clarification Veldar, I've heard similar things to what you said from people who LIKED the movie too so I guess it's just a matter of how you react to it. I'm sort of interested in the idea that most of the monster stuff is viewed from the perspective of people on the ground, I think that will give it more gravity and realism than a CGI cartoon-fest with constant exposure of the monsters where it just feels like every other big budget CGI disaster/sci fi movie. I sorta liked Pacific Rim but I definitely thought that it had no weight to the majority of the monster scenes, while Cloverfield (a movie with a lot of big flaws) had maybe 20-30 minutes of pure brilliance and horrific material between where the destruction first starts and when they go to the subway just by virtue of the perspective they used on all the effects. Similarly, Spielberg's "War of the Worlds" really captured some primal terror in the section of the movie between when the tripod first comes out of the ground and when they go into the basement with Tim Robbins. Realism can radically alter the tone and effectiveness when dealing with material like this and it sounds like this is a fairly serious, dark movie and that thus a pacific rim style approach of constantly being able to see the entire monster from a god's eye perspective would have undermined it severely.

I still haven't seen it so I'm talking out of my ass, I'm just saying that it sounds like they might have done exactly what I'm hoping and given it the kind of tone I reference above. I'm going to it tomorrow! I really hope it's a huge box-office success, I want them to release the rest of the Japanese movies on bluray, they released 12 of them in the last couple months and have a couple more but that still leaves several! :hbang:

soliloquy

Reaction score
Maybe i was wrong to expect a cloverfield out of this. I personally didnt like it. For me, it was slow. The parts that werent slow were ridiculous and painful. I was expecting godzilla to at least eat the other bugs, but he came to kill them like a bitter old man and then went home.

Maybe i was expecting more.

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
I just got home from seeing it with my dad. I don't know how to feel about it.

I was psyched going there. I liked the setup, the beginning scenes, etc. But it felt like it dragged on. Halfway through the movie I felt like I wanted to get up and go home and eat dinner. It didn't hold my attention like I thought it would.
I knew it was about the people doing the jobs to defend the world against Godzilla, I wasn't expecting Pacific Rim-level action, but dammit, I expected more than what was there. The parts where Godzilla was actually fighting the monsters was cool, but it felt way too small of a part compared to the rest of the movie.
Bryan Cranston and Aaron Taylor-Johnson are good actors imo, I liked seeing both of them, but everything besides them felt forced. I hardly cared about Ford's (Johnson's) wife's scenes. I felt like the movie would have been better if they could have made Dr. Serizawa(Ken Watanabe) more significant, and given him more lines than "yeah" and some trying-to-be-deep one liners.

If anyone gets this analogy, I felt like I was watching an episode of Pokemon where Ash fights a gym leader. The whole thing is a build up, the gym leader's pokemon is beating pikachu really hard, then out of the blue for no reason pikachu gets his s... together and defeats the gym leader's pokemon in one hit. That is what this movie felt like to me, if pikachu was Godzilla, except the movie was two hours and long and had about 1 hour 45 minutes of buildup. There wasn't even a real climax to this movie!

To say something good about it, I liked the music and overall vibe of the movie. The main theme alternated between 4/4 and 7/8 so it felt really chaotic, and the dark, concerned atmosphere of the movie was consistent and good. Not one funny wise crack was made throughout the entire movie and I'm glad that was the case.

Overall, my opinion is: if you REALLY want to go, go see it while you have access to theater speakers, and go with a group of friends. I doubt I'll be watching this movie again unless I have friends that want to see it.

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from seeing it. Went in expecting a reboot of "Godzilla, KOTM!" and that's that I got. For the most part.

(No spoilers below. Everything mentioned is viewable in the trailer.)

Fantastic production. Sound design was ridiculous. Aside from the ending, the HALO jump scene was the high point of the film for me (more on that below). Didn't like what they did to the Embarcadero/Presidio districts of SF in the film. ("Hey I work in that building!! :squint: :lol:)
However, about 3/4 of the way through. I started to get the uneasy feeling that they weren't going blow their load on the Godzilla scenes, in order to have everyone leaving the theater wanting more...

Sure enough. Guess what's already been greenlit? Expected at this point I suppose. And definitely a smart move, considering how much money this has already brought in one weekend.

if you go in wanting a good godzilla movie, you've got one here. Just let the little kid in you free to enjoy it, instead of the jaded adult most of us have turned into regarding movies.

Agree 100%. Wayyyy too jaded. Prime example is the jump scene I mentioned earlier. Here I am, leaving the theater; mind completely blown about how apocalyptic that scene looked, with what was waiting for them once they got through the cloud cover. And I'm overhearing people in the lobby already complaining how it was "cheap CGI", they used the cloud cover as an excuse to render the scene dark, which is a lot easier, etc. etc. Really? That's what things have become? Nobody knows how to enjoy a movie anymore? :wallbash:

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Wayyyy too jaded. Prime example is the jump scene I mentioned earlier. Here I am, leaving the theater; mind completely blown about how apocalyptic that scene looked, with what was waiting for them once they got through the cloud cover. And I'm overhearing people in the lobby already complaining how it was "cheap CGI", they used the cloud cover as an excuse to render the scene dark, which is a lot easier, etc. etc. Really? That's what things have become? Nobody knows how to enjoy a movie anymore? :wallbash:
Ya....I think too many people were expecting a GMK/Destroy All Monsters/Final Wars/Transformers/etc fight-fest.

The box-office take and future plans speaks volumes to the success of this film. Those that give it low marks are definitely in the minority (and it's perfectly ok to be in that minority...not everyone can be a fan of the franchise).

Latest posts

')