Godzilla 2014

• Thread starter ghostred7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sunyata

Bro Story Cool
Reaction score
Ken Watanabe's role was truly awe-inspiring. The depth of emotion, the masterful expressivity, the intelligent and perfectly delivered dialogue...His performance displayed a mastery of acting. He deserves an Oscar IMO.

^sarcasm

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
Ken Watanabe's role was truly awe-inspiring. The depth of emotion, the masterful expressivity, the intelligent and perfectly delivered dialogue...His performance displayed a mastery of acting. He deserves an Oscar IMO.

That's because Ken Watanabe is too good of an actor for something like Godzilla.

soliloquy

Reaction score
and i know folks from japan are hating on mr. gojira for looking too fat. i didn't have a problem with his weight. i did have a problem with him having limbs like a human being. he kinda looked like ronnie wearing a lizard suit with a tail
ronnie-coleman-c.jpg

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I watched it yesterday at IMAX, and I LOVED it. It does have its shortcomings in the plot, character, and perhaps even acting departments, but I didn't go in expecting an amazing story. I went into this film with almost the exact same mindset that I had for Pacific Rim, and it totally worked.

I wanted to see giant monsters, and I got to see titanic monsters.
I wanted to see destruction, and I got to see total and complete annihilation.
I wanted to hear the roars, and I got to hear pure rage and anger.
I wanted to see colossal monster-battles, and I got to see colossally f*cking brutal monster-battles.

It was exactly what I expected it to be and then some more. The sheer size, weight, and atmosphere of it were what made the movie for me. Great action film.

The ONLY thing that slightly disappointed me was Bryan Cranston's role. It was so meh. Then again, I didn't exactly care much.

And to add some spoilers:
Did anyone notice the white-haired admiral guy who kept giving orders but nobody ever listened and/or replied to him? :rofl: I thought that was absolutely hysterical. He would talk to someone, and he only got replies directed at the thin air surrounding him at best (usually coming from Ken Watanabe's character, who was in shock for most of the film and looked like a crazy man talking to spirits). My friends and I were asphyxiating in laughter at one point.

EDIT: Also, I keep hearing people who disliked Godzilla's design. I thought it was awesome. He was so chubby and squeezy, it was lovely. :wub:

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
If you want to see the tail build-up and 1st breath sequence (with no audio pretty bad quality, but pretty badass nonetheless), i found one here: www . youtube . com/watch?v=oWNkuWrGWD4

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
The box-office take and future plans speaks volumes to the success of this film.

Didn't see anyone else post this. But the opening weekend numbers were: $196.2M - Worldwide / $93.1M - Domestic (US Market).

Those that give it low marks are definitely in the minority (and it's perfectly ok to be in that minority...not everyone can be a fan of the franchise).

Seeing on forums like IMDB; people trolling the film about everything from the studio's budget ($160M), to how people are fools to spend the price of admission for the amount of screentime Godzilla gets.

Whatever.
Haters_gonna_hate_Godzilla.gif

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
^ Uh, if it's budget was $160M and it only pulled in $193M opening weekend, that's $33M in profit, so until it's hit the $320M mark (aka double it's investment) usually movie-makers aren't happen

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Ah... well, I was certainly not aware of that side of the film industry. I apologize for the ignorant comment. I guess it just seemed like a lot of money to me. :lol: Does the doubling of the investment have to be achieved over opening weekend?

Last edited:

flint757

Reaction score
That I don't know, but it wouldn't be the first time a movie profited and was still considered a 'failure' by insiders.

It is indeed a lot of money though.

I've always found that aspect silly. Profit implies after EVERYONE, including the big wigs, got paid and investments paid back which basically means extra money that is left over. How even breaking even can be considered a bad thing boggles my mind sometimes. Greed.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Ah... well, I was certainly not aware of that side of the film industry. I apologize for the ignorant comment. I guess it just seemed like a lot of money to me. :lol: Does the doubling of the investment have to be achieved over opening weekend?
Yeah, they usually expect absurd profit margins.

This. Your by NO MEANS wrong saying that it had a good opening and it's something that I'm always baffled by since it's like, "OK, you just made 33 MILLION profit and that's still just 'eh' to you?" For any of us, it's mind-blowing since we wouldn't even know what to do with 1 million, let alone 33. But apparently for them it's not enough.

keep in mind, it hasn't opened in china and japan yet

Really? I thought it was opening there before it came stateside but I guess not

wankerness

Reaction score
keep in mind, it hasn't opened in china and japan yet

Japan's not usually a big part of the market for these things cause they have their own thriving film industry, but china sure eats up crappy blockbusters like there's no tomorrow. I dunno what they'll make of this. They really hate Japan and this has a lot of scenes set in Japan, but I guess it's never PRO-JAPAN exactly and some of it does get destroyed so who knows.

I just saw it and was kinda disappointed. The weirdest thing was that it felt like one of the original sequels. Basically, 2/3 of the movie is some other monster being discovered and smashing the shit out of people, then Godzilla shows up and beats the shit out of it, everyone cheers, the end. This is the plot summary of many sequels, from Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster all the way to the end of the Japanese series. I honestly think it would have been a better movie if they hadn't had the MUTOs in it at all. I didn't think it was bad or anything and I will definitely watch the shit out of the sequel, but it did feel like there was way too much focus on the enemies and not nearly enough on Godzilla considering it was a reboot, it felt more like a sequel!

I didn't really like Godzilla's face design, it was too humanoid and flat. Other than that the design was cool. I was overjoyed by when the firebreath was revealed, the way his spikes started to light up I was just like HOLY SHIT YES!!! But, then his breath looked like a propane torch and that was sorta disappointing, but hey. I've seen all the old movies way too many times, where it was usually a huge beam of f***, especially the more recent sequels.

The best godzilla breath is still GMK. The first scene in that where he uses his breath and just annihilates a town and it's basically done to parallel its effect with that of an H-Bomb is one of the best scenes in the entire series. That movie's kind of a mess but I think it had the scariest Godzilla of any of the movies.

Anyway, back to this movie, I was confused by the intent of developing the characters so relentlessly in the first half when the second half made clear that humans are not able to make a dent on the monsters whatsoever. I loved that idea and how it was carried to its conclusion, especially how the hero wasn't even able to stop the bomb from detonating - humans had absolutely 0 effect on anything once the monsters started coming, other than Kick-Ass lighting all the eggs on fire. This is how it should be! I was never bored by the first half of the movie but as the movie progressed it became odd that they'd spent so much time on those characters since they ended up mattering very little.

I loved that Ken Watanabe's character was named Dr. Serizawa (the same name of the character that melts Godzilla in the 1954 one). I love Elizabeth Olsen forever for Martha Marcy Mae Marlene and it was too bad she was so wasted here, but I still liked seeing her. Kick-Ass has apparently been drinking protein shakes non-stop since filming that first movie, his body looked like a CGI effect. Cranston was pretty good and I didn't really mind the first act fake-out where he suddenly just gets zipped up in a bag unceremoniously instead of remaining a main character.

So yeah, basically it was a million times better than I expected it to be upon first hearing they were making a new one, but it didn't live up to the trailers, which made it look far scarier than it ended up being and also made it look like the bulk of the focus was on Godzilla, when most of the threat in the movie was actually focused on the cloverfield-looking MUTOs. I might like it more on second watch when I know what's coming, or I might like it less knowing that the first half is largely pointless.

Reaction score
I haven't seen the movie yet so I'll reserve my judgment until I do but knowing that the monsters aren't any of the classic ones is a bit disappointing. I would have loved for Mothra or Rodan or any of them really to be CGI'd the fvck out and look like the monstrous beings that they are. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this movie though, I'm so excited to hear his roar at full blast!

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
China 6/13, Japan 7/25. China was big even for pacific rim. i'm hoping it's a big seller this time around. For PR, it his $309M internationally. $111M of that was China. According to BoxOfficeMojo.com Godzilla's already > $200M worldwide: Godzilla (2014) (2014) - Box Office Mojo ...also, it's had the biggest opening day of 2014 so far. I think that'll change tomorrow w/ the Xmen film release.

Re: original monsters other than G - Toho only released rights to Godzilla, so even if Edwards (director) had wanted to, he couldn't.

Re: kick-ass protein. He's as-built, if not a little bigger in the Quicksilver role filming for A2AoU. That's Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch
....the twins after credit scene in Cap2 ...the 2 kids in the glass cages
elizabeth-olsen-aaron-johnson-avengers-first-set-pics.jpg

')