Godzilla 2014

• Thread starter ghostred7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
I ....in loved it. It was just as cheesy as it should be. It's godzilla for christsakes not shakespear. If you go to a godzilla movie for acting then son....

The movie does explain the origin of Godzilla and MUTOs well. It blatantly spells it out for you. There is nothing more to be said. It's not a hard concept.

We are discussing a film with a legacy that is legendary for poor lip syncing. If it was perfect it would really take away from it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
I loved it my grandma took me to see it cause when I was little she would by me tons of Godzilla stuff and we would watch the movies together.
and I felt like i should have did a little girls scream when he let out his first roar in the movie cause I just filled my heart up with the warm fuzzies.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Film was the worst kind of disappointing-mildly disappointing (IMO)

Byran Cranston was misadvertised regarding his screentime and Ken Watanabe was woefully wasted. The Hiroshima reference was cringe-worthy, let alone attempting to be subtle they actually out-and-out used the friggin H-word. The advertised/hyped super serious/scary tone and constant thematic allusion to man-vs-nature/original Godzilla was not delivered upon, it was almost cheesily non-intentionally non-serious at points (that soundtrack, especially at the very end...)

and yet despite this the expected flipside would be that the fight scenes would deliver and they just didn't. I didn't mind that Godzilla was unseen for the first half of the film with only about 20 minutes screen time, it built hype. I could even live with the absolute dick-tease of his first appearance, provided the big climax provided payoff... but you only saw him for 15 seconds at a time in the final fight before cutting to Ford or worse, his wife.

tl;dr film was decent and when Godzilla WAS on-screen he was fucking AWESOME but the tone of the second half of the film was completely from as advertised, Godzilla never got any true extended visual payoff and the best actors (by NO means a dig at Taylor-Johnson or Elizabeth Olsen, both fine actors who were serviceable in this (less so the latter)) were egregiously underutilised.

tl;dr tl;dr go and see it but without any expectations

Yeah... this. Bryan Cranston is awesome, but had a very basic script to work with. Once the focus shifts from him, the film takes a big downturn IMO. The second half of the film was Swiss cheese in terms of plotholes.

5/10

')