Going 8 (the big mess) Damien Schecter Elite 8?

Dto8

Reaction score
First of all, I come from a long, wide search through the web before to post this (my first post ever/cheers .)
I want to get an 8.
That's the point.
(I've never went 7. I wanted.. but)
After all my runs, I come to the Schecter Damien Elite 8
(€ 750 here, I guess less in the US).
My budget come just to this.

My questions are a lot.
First, Emgs 808 vs Duncan Blackouts (I'm a kind of emg lover) - the guitar comes with 808s and my budget is still there, like said before.
(there are Schecter with the BOs but they're not imported here - I guess I could ask specifically for it).
Anyway, the Tobin Abasi's tone is just terrific (...but at the EMG studios...) Ibanez RG2228 and 808x.
2) The neck scale (I'm not a lot into that kind of things. I'd have to). the Damien is shorter than some, but longer than the ESPs
(love the Deftones's tone a lot - 808s too for their production)
3)Mahogany body with quilted maple top/Bolt on/rosewood over maple neck
Sounds good but can it get too dark?
(I'm a proud lespaulER - Heritage Gary Moore w/ Duncans Alnico II pro/n & Pearly Gates/br - all the possible ways switchable - I still wait the axe from the shop, maybe tomorrow)

I've watched every video around (not proof ones) and I can say, I liked what I've heard and, a lot, what I've seen (love the look!).

Agile are not imported here in Italy (I guess I could buy it online somewhere but I don't like their look so much and I want a two pups config. with the budget).

[I confess you] I play through a Pod X3 Live straight into neutral amplifications. I just love it :p
(I mostly write, record and play at home on the electric at the moment - When I'm around, I'm with my D-28 by my side).

I don't know if I've asked everything I wanted but I wish some of you could give me a right word.
Do I have to get this guitar?

(Sorry for my english and for the lenght of the post)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Do I have to get this guitar?

I'm not too sure what you mean by that. Do you mean, should you get it? I'd say yes.

For the money, the only thing that would really compete is Agile, but you said you can't get them in Italy (at the very least, it'll be tough). Also, I'm speaking from experience here, as I've owned this guitar.

Even though not everyone really likes EMGs, and general consensus is Blackouts are a bit better, the EMGs are far from horrible. And, as great as Tosin's tone is in those videos, since Wave of Babies was recorded before he got the Axe-Fx, I'm also going to assume that it was recorded before he got the 808x's. It's most likely the stock 808's. I liked them, and wasn't in a huge rush to change them.

The wood selection is pretty standard, nothing too crazy there. Mahogany with a maple neck/rosewood fretboard is really common, and the maple top (not too sure how thick it is) is probably going to add a little brightness, if anything.

The only real potential downsides are the scale length, and the neck/neck joint. Most people consider the scale length a little too short (I'm one of those people), but it still works. I didn't really have any problems tone-wise using a .074 for the low F, I just prefer a little more tension for the feel. After the Burial gets great tone, and they're only using a .074 at F with a 27" scale. You can always get thicker strings, too. The upside to the shorter scale is that if you ever want to try something like a high G or A, it'll be a lot easier to get strings and keep them in one piece.

The neck was a little on the thicker side, but since there's no finish, it's a wee bit thinner than the C-8 or Blackjack. I've got really stubby fingers, and I didn't have any trouble with it (although I like the 2228's neck more). The neck joint's definitely not the greatest, and kind of gets in the way, but for a $600 USD 8 string that's built decently and has some great features, I think it's worth the hassle.

If you think you're gonna like it, and there aren't many other 8s that you can afford, I say go for it, man. Worst case scenario, 8 strings aren't too hard to sell, either.

aleXander

BlackByPopularDemand
Reaction score
Imma stick by Ibanez man...
RGA8 or RG2228... both are fantastic.. granted you have to make a pickup swap on the RGA8

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
im a diehard ibanez. and the pickup swap STOPPED me from getting it. the guitar was 799, and ATLEAST another 150 for a pickup, and id still need a neck pup.

so i got the Septor 828, the pickups in it smoke the ibanez actives for sure, plus teh scale is longer so im rather pleased with the overall choice.

agile offers dual pickup super strat shapes too. i think youre thinking of just standard intrepids.

DSC03671.jpg

heres mine. standard rg shape and dual passives. you could always go for the 27" scale if you were wanting a shorter scale 8.

overall i have an 8 and a bareknuckle coldsweat on the way for like $20 more than an RGA costs. better wood, better scale, no stupid conversions for pickups.

try for an agile if you can, they do offer them in active pickup options too.

Peteus

Reaction score
If you can't get an agile I would go for the scheter.
The wood combo would be great and I would be surprised if it was too dark.
IMO Blackouts are so much better than EMGs (I opt for passives) however I do have an irrational hatred of EMGs. From experience of playing scheters which I like alot, I played a 7 with an EMG sounded alright then played one with a blackout and on the same settings was so much more powerful had more headroom and a more musical tone IMO. I guess listen to new fear factory for the Blackout 8 tone not the best example and have a hunt of youtube for blackout 8s.
Scale length this is all down to your personal preference if you like tight strings you may want a longer scale length however loads of people manage with a shorter than the agile length and as a bonus your tone should sound more guitar like.

Dto8

Reaction score
Thx a lot for the long and clearly explaining answer, Philligan!
You've come to my same kind of conclusions. And same also to another Damien's owner on another blog.
I've listen too about the neck joints but the budget takes me here.
I've found a RG2228 used for €850 but the guy changed idea and didn't sell it anymore (no other used 8s in this bloody country).
By the way, I prefer the look of the Damien over all the others.
(And I think I could enjoy the scale lenght too, cause of my playing style)

Answering to Paintkilz, I really don't like the look of the Agiles (sorry) but I'm sure your advice is a very good one, btw I really think I can't get one of them here.

To Peteus, right conclusions. About the woods too, as also said by Philligan and confirmed by another Damien's owner too.

Saluti to Black Tear & Alexander and thx to everybody :jeff:

Black_tear

Reaction score
Ciao bambino. Sono stato felice di paralare con te.
:scratch: I don't know if its correct.:lol:

I wish i could speak/write italian:agreed:

mr coffee

Reaction score
This thread caught my eye, I'm an Ibanez junkie myself but the Damien has caught my eye. If I were made of money, I'd probably go for the RG2228 but, well, yeah...I suspect we're all feelin' the crunch these days.

So obvious points in favor: EMGs; nice figured top & finish; nice shapely body; interesting inlays; no silly active EQ. (Tried it on an RGA7 and wasn't impressed.)

Possible points against: shorter scale length (by .5" - big impact?); "Normal" neck joint...not a big deal to me, anyway; no Fixed Edge III 8.

So, my two key questions would be, 1. How does the neck feel compare to others? I've heard it said that the RGA8 neck is thin and narrow enough to make for an easy transition without feeling cramped. And 2. How stable is the tuning? I like the idea of locking w/ fine tuners, but if the stock setup is sufficiently stable, I'm cool with that too. I just don't want to spend 5 minutes tuning between songs while the patrons wander off...

-m

Dto8

Reaction score
mr, what to say?
I finally come to the idea of getting the RGA8. I guess I'll order it tomorrow :)
I've tried just one 8strings (it's impossible to find one here in Roma) and it was an ESP LTD SC608.
The guitar is cool but have some things I dilike a lot.
The neck was 27 and tuned a half step down, I can say the strings were too loose.
So, I think that an even shorter scale (even if just a 0.5 inch) could be too much.
The double locking system is a very cool feature for me, I guess I'll find out my tuning and keep it. I just play original stuff mostly.
The Ibanez necks are considered almost everywhere the best and in feeling, people says this one is just like the Prestige neck (just a very little thicker).
I would like to put in the the Bare Knuckle pups so the EMGs are just a useless cost more on the Schecter (i guess too that the eq is a lil "childish" but I don't how it sounds. I'll surely take it off, I want a tone pot!).
I like the look of the Damien a lot (even if the inlays are a little too naif, IMO) but I'm going to prefer the RGA8 look. IT's more classy but stiil aggressive, I think.
Overall, the Ibanez is €180 less than the Damien here, while in the U.S. is $200 more!! (Don't ask me why.. import/export matters, I think.)
So, that's it. I made my choice.
Update me about yours!

mr coffee

Reaction score
Be certain I will, although it'll probably be at least a few months...

-m

')