Going mad! Need amp help...

• Thread starter ToneCrafter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ToneCrafter

Tone Magician
Reaction score
Here's the situation. I have about $2700 to spend on a new amp. It's gotta be a HEAVY METAL making machine. I've been looking at everything. Marshall, ENGL, Mesa, Bogner, Orange....you name it.

I just can't decide what to get. Give me your opinions on reliable metal making amps. I was pretty much sold on an ENGL Savage, but I've been hearing that ENGL aren't built the best.

Why is this so hard!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maat

'stortion junkie
Reaction score
Buddy. Don't go amp. Go rack. I know your frustration...we've all been there and eventually we ALL go rack. Some of us go back to just one amp (which is cool, because rack gear has re-sell value).

ToneCrafter

Tone Magician
Reaction score
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-and-equipment/58850-777s-favourite-amps-thread.html

Read the sticky, or give us more information about what you want. A metal making machine narrows it down as much as saying you knew someone once that had hair.

Fair enough. I didn't even see that sticky!

I guess the sound I'm looking to get is what some of you around here term as "djent", but I want to get a good rhythm thickness too. Does that make any sense? lol

The real problem lies in that fact that I'm not rich enough to own one of every amp that I like.... ugh

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
first, you need to go and test some amps. what amps can you test out?

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Some questions, answering them will help:

Do you want extremely tight bass response, or huge bass response, or somewhere in between?

Do you want a hifi sounding amp, or do you want a raw aggressive amp?

How many channels do you need?

What are your favorite albums and players, ie, what kind of tone are you going for?

Anyway, as far as metal machines go, you're looking at:

Mesa Triple Rec (3 channel)
Mesa Dual Rec (2 channel)
Bogner Ubershaller
Peavey 5150 (modded)
Orange Thunderverb
Rivera Knuckleheads (i think, whichever the mick thompson is based on)
VHT (Fryette) Pitbull Ultra Lead
ENGL Invader 100

If you want tighter than tight, you are looking at the VHT and also the Invader.

If you want massive, you are looking at the mesa/bogner/5150 amps

My personal extremely biased opinion is that VHT Ultr Lead mixed with celestion 85 speakers makes me just about one of the happiest people alive.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
Buddy. Don't go amp. Go rack. I know your frustration...we've all been there and eventually we ALL go rack. Some of us go back to just one amp (which is cool, because rack gear has re-sell value).

+1 on that. I just love the sound of a stereo rack system, the midi capabilities, the convenience, etc. I suggest go for an Engl SE preamp it's respective 2X50W or 2X100W power amp.

Still, don't disregard amp heads completely, if you go for one I suggest an Engl Invader 100 or 150, an Engl Powerball, a Mesa Boogie Roadster or a VHT Sig X. Check out the reviews, clips and video and you will see why! :hbang:

Scoop_89

Reaction score
I'm about to go all-rack with Engl E530 and E840/50. Might wanna check them out?

ToneCrafter

Tone Magician
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help on this guys.

I don't want to go all rack just yet, but that is a very feasible option.

Some questions, answering them will help:

Do you want extremely tight bass response, or huge bass response, or somewhere in between?

Do you want a hifi sounding amp, or do you want a raw aggressive amp?

How many channels do you need?

What are your favorite albums and players, ie, what kind of tone are you going for?

Anyway, as far as metal machines go, you're looking at:

Mesa Triple Rec (3 channel)
Mesa Dual Rec (2 channel)
Bogner Ubershaller
Peavey 5150 (modded)
Orange Thunderverb
Rivera Knuckleheads (i think, whichever the mick thompson is based on)
VHT (Fryette) Pitbull Ultra Lead
ENGL Invader 100

If you want tighter than tight, you are looking at the VHT and also the Invader.

If you want massive, you are looking at the mesa/bogner/5150 amps

My personal extremely biased opinion is that VHT Ultr Lead mixed with celestion 85 speakers makes me just about one of the happiest people alive.

I guess a mid range bass level would be good. I think a little more aggressive amp is what I'm looking for and two channels would suffice, but more is fine as well.

Artists to compare the sound I like... In Flames, Nevermore....things like that. I really want a nice full rhythm sound too.

Giamatti

Reaction score
Fair enough. I didn't even see that sticky!

I guess the sound I'm looking to get is what some of you around here term as "djent", but I want to get a good rhythm thickness too. Does that make any sense? lol

The real problem lies in that fact that I'm not rich enough to own one of every amp that I like.... ugh

If you're looking for "djent", you could get an axe-fx or pod xt Pro (rack, I know, but they do the whole djent thing undeniably well) or if you want a tube head, the ENGL Powerball was voted best amp for Djent right here on sevenstring, not sure how much they go for in the states, though I'd doubt it's over 2k...? :S

Maybe that's being naive, I know Mesas cost a fuck load over here, and I heard ENGL go for a pretty penny over your way too.

ToneCrafter

Tone Magician
Reaction score
If you're looking for "djent", you could get an axe-fx or pod xt Pro (rack, I know, but they do the whole djent thing undeniably well) or if you want a tube head, the ENGL Powerball was voted best amp for Djent right here on sevenstring, not sure how much they go for in the states, though I'd doubt it's over 2k...? :S

Maybe that's being naive, I know Mesas cost a fuck load over here, and I heard ENGL go for a pretty penny over your way too.

I've got a Pod XT Pro actually, but I do want to go tube.

I actually have been looking into the Powerball, but I've heard it's too "compressed". Not sure if there is any merit to that claim. I really wish I could sit down with all these amps and just mess with them for a while....ugh.

')