Going to Bristol tomorrow to record for a week, need all the advice I can get.

• Thread starter Shadow_6667
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow_6667

Reaction score
So check it out its like this:

I want the "Perfect" tone for guitars, or the best we can possibly achieve. Over the past few days I've had so many changes of mind over how the amps should sound, that I'm going into a panic!

i.e. The powerball open/focused switch that tends to get changed every few hours, the GE-7 that gets adjusted every few minutes etc...

Excessum on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

There you will find the band's previous recordings, just so you can get the idea of the style.

Here's the gear we're taking with us:

Engl Powerball
Engl Invader 150
Engl Pro 4/12 cabs
GE-7
DD-3
Boss ME-50B (I know this is for bass, but as were tuned to A)
Pod X3
Schechter Omen-7
ESP LTD Viper-7
BCRich Warlock

The clean tone is completely handled by the Pod, so that shouldn't present a problem. The rhythm tone needs alot of work though, and ideally, it should sound like a mix of Bulb and Fellsilent.

Could you guys post some Amp/GE-7 settings that I could use as a reference point? Any Lead tone ideas are welcome too. Please add some good recording techniques as well, I've never tracked with an amp before.

Thanks alot in advance fellas

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
Honestly, brotha. If you are spending money on a recording and are coming here for advice... You don't trust your engineer enough and shouldn't be going to him/her because it will only cause more tension than good results.

Knowing that most people here won't like hearing that... I'll give what I ask bands to bring when they come for a project in our studio.

EVERYTHING THEY HAVE THAT DOESN'T SUCK!

I know this is a bit of a generalization but, it's the truth. Bring every sound possible that you engineer/studio may not have. And I can tell you right now, that if you ahve ALLL that killer gear and your going to be relying on a fucking POD(sorry guys) for your cleans, you aren't that worried about your tone.

The best way to get the tone you want is bring EVERYTHING that you use to get the sound you want and start there... Listen to it THROUGH the mix... If it's not working try something else. But, keep your signal chain short as possible and gain lighter that normal with a slight boost in the mids... That's just a GOOD PLACE TO START.

What studio is it and what gear do they have? I know what Bulb and Acle/Fellsilent used for the most part so, it won't be hard at all to get their tone.

Shadow_6667

Reaction score
Well dude fire away!

Its a fully equipped studio, owned by my mate, but he's a 60's producer, so no use here...

We've been promised a TLA Desk and a full set of mics (inc. Neumans), rigged to Cubase 4 and monitored through Digidesigns.

I can handle the recording, its just the tone.... GOTTA BE THE PERFECT FUCKING TOOONEEE

When you speak of his Bulbness and Acle, what do they use / settings if you can

Cheers man

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
Well dude fire away!

Its a fully equipped studio, owned by my mate, but he's a 60's producer, so no use here...

We've been promised a TLA Desk and a full set of mics (inc. Neumans), rigged to Cubase 4 and monitored through Digidesigns.

I can handle the recording, its just the tone.... GOTTA BE THE PERFECT FUCKING TOOONEEE

When you speak of his Bulbness and Acle, what do they use / settings if you can

Cheers man

Right on, man. But, I'll be the FIRST ONE to tell you. It's not the gear you have it's the ears/mind behind them. Just try EVERYTHING until you get JUST what you want. That's the best advice ANYONE can give you.

Shadow_6667

Reaction score
:shred:I've finally got it!

Took me a whole day mind, but I love it!

Signal path as follows = win!

GE-7
ME-50 non bass version
ENGL Powerball
DD3 in S/R
ENGL CAB
Sennheiser 901
Desk

I signed a goddamn agreement saying I can't upload tracks:rant:, but I'll send some clips after I left the studio:cool:

Safe guys

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess it's a moot point now, but if you have a POD and can record onto a PC at home, all you need is a re-amp box and you could turn up with all your guitar & bass performances recorded.

That way, you'd only have to record drums & vocals in the expensive (relative) studio and could either spend more time on getting the right sound or save yourself some days. It would also allow you to change sounds within the mix to some degree, or even bolster it with impulses if you wanted to, provided you recording a pre-amp and clean signal simultaneously.

')