Going to buy a brand new Jackson Soloist SL1; talk me out of it.

• Thread starter Metal-Box
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mbardu

Reaction score
Yeah by construction changes I meant the neck thru and veneer. Are you sure they're using paper thin veneers on the tops now? I was under the understanding that the tops are unchanged.

Those are not construction changes.
As far as I'm aware, this is the design of SL1 of at least the last decade.

The neck through is not full width, and it's an alder body only.
Not an alder body + maple cap.

That's also why 'flamed' models are approximately the same price as the plain finishes...it's only cosmetic.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a choice.
There's not much 'cheap' in an SL1 - quite the opposite.
Still overpriced at 3k new, but definitely a great guitar.

If wanting a 'soloist' with a really thick top, i'd say the best bet would be a Carvin, before the 2013 redesign.

------

Back to the topic, the only reason I would advise the OP not to go with a NEW SL1 would be to go with a USED SL1 + a USED SL2.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Those are not construction changes.
As far as I'm aware, this is the design of SL1 of at least the last decade.

The neck through is not full width, and it's an alder body only.
Not an alder body + maple cap.

That's also why 'flamed' models are approximately the same price as the plain finishes...it's only cosmetic.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a choice.
There's not much 'cheap' in an SL1 - quite the opposite.
Still overpriced at 3k new, but definitely a great guitar.

If wanting a 'soloist' with a really thick top, i'd say the best bet would be a Carvin, before the 2013 redesign.

------

Back to the topic, the only reason I would advise the OP not to go with a NEW SL1 would be to go with a USED SL1 + a USED SL2.

Yeah exactly this. I'm part of the "wood doesn't matter for tone camp" so IDGAF about the maple thickness stuff. That's just me

However, the ~3k price that's advertised on Jackson's website is MSRP. No store sells at MSRP. I do still think what's advertised these days by stores is a little steep, and that's why I suggest the used market or going the custom select route for almost the same price.

mbardu

Reaction score
Yeah exactly this. I'm part of the "wood doesn't matter for tone camp" so IDGAF about the maple thickness stuff. That's just me

However, the ~3k price that's advertised on Jackson's website is MSRP. No store sells at MSRP. I do still think what's advertised these days by stores is a little steep, and that's why I suggest the used market or going the custom select route for almost the same price.

Haha :-D

I am actually in the other camp.
Tonewoods DO matter, but only inversely proportionally to gain.
Considering that this forum is heavy-oriented, that's much less of concern..

But for clean or jazzy stuff, it matters.

Anyway, especially for tone, a full alder can be a benefit if that's what you're looking for!
And Jackson delivers that with quality (albeit at a pretty high price, so used is a much better deal).

Not trying to be a Jackson fanboy though...I'm mostly playing other guitars nowadays anyway :-D

Reaction score
I personally think the edges look better on a non-burst figured maple top guitar if the top has enough meat to it, to where it looks a bit like binding.

The fully translucent models seem to cost about $200 more than the bursts, and the tops do seem thicker, probably for the reason I mentioned.

It's kind of crazy that you can get a base model Carin DC600 for under $900 (fixed bridge), and thats less than the original price of a USA DK1 when it was first released. Lacks Q-sawn maple neck, and compound radius, binding etc., but you could go nuts on the options with your budget.

Example:

Attachments

• dc600c-fdq-bgb-bbe-ln-fph-hr22-wl-efb-nin-stjf-5mm-a6n-a6b-sl-109823-gallery.jpg
    dc600c-fdq-bgb-bbe-ln-fph-hr22-wl-efb-nin-stjf-5mm-a6n-a6b-sl-109823-gallery.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 18

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I'm pretty fine with a veneer for aesthetics. I think a full maple cap on Adler with a maple neck would be way too bright. But I love a good splat or flame.

fortisursus

Reaction score
Hopefully this clears up what the neck construction looks like. This is the side view of my SL1 made in 2001. You can see that the neck is only about half the thickness of the body. Also it is hard to see from my pictures(low resolution laptop webcam) the thickness of the veneer. Aside from the neck, the guitar is a 3 piece body. I've always thought it would be cool if Jackson messed around with wood combinations like like mixing a mahogany center block with alder wings, ect, kind of like some EBMM JP models. Every Jackson SL1/Sl2H I've played has always been quite bright in tone. Definitely wouldn't want a full maple cap on it.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20140418_230609.jpg
    Snapshot_20140418_230609.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Snapshot_20140418_230210.jpg
    Snapshot_20140418_230210.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Snapshot_20140418_225914.jpg
    Snapshot_20140418_225914.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 23

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
If you know you want one and have done for ages, and you won't stop thinking about it till you have one, why do you need talking out of it?

I agree you should find a used one though.

LeffJoomis

Reaction score
Talk you out of it!? I'm gonna encourage you to do it! USA Soloists are some of the finest production model guitars around. Go for it, make us all jealous! :hbang:

')