Going to buy a brand new Jackson Soloist SL1; talk me out of it.

• Thread starter Metal-Box
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
not true neck through

Not a "Full thickness neck-through." The neck does, in fact, go THROUGH the entire body. Functionally, this matters not at all.

The rest of your post is entirely up to personal preference.

Price is not twice as high as it was a few years ago. It has gone up though. That does quite suck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, but I'd like to see evidence that Jackson SL1s have a veneer right over the alder these days. And evidence that they used to cost under $1500 new. I'm trying to politely call BS.

fortisursus

Reaction score
Do it man! I have a 2013 DK1 and 2001 SL1. Both are amazing. Since you're in NJ definitely check out CMC Guitars. It is like the motherland of Jacksons there. I got my DK1 new from them last year and not only did I get it at an awesome price, but they were great to deal with. Not to tempt you but Rich from Ibanez Rules isn't that far away from CMC Guitars either haha.

Edit: Also most USA Select Jacksons don't have full thickness tops(and didn't in the past) only the mahogany guitars get 1/8 " tops. Being that soloists are all ready pretty bright guitars it would just sound too bright and shrill if it had a thick top.

Reaction score
Srs? :scratch: Has that really changed? I don't see any increase in price over the past decade, and I'm unaware of any construction changes at all. Are you mixing up an SL1 with something else?

This is the price of a SL2H.

There was a 15% price increase in 2004 and then:

2005: $2444.99
2006: $2533.32
2008: $2588.99
2009: $2599.99
2011: $2666.65
2012: $3199.99
2014: $3,472.21

Price Lists | Jackson® Support

I never said there were construction changes on the Jackson SL1, it has always had a veneer and set-thru neck.

Dooky

Reaction score
I have owned a brand new SL1 since 2001. I worked over-time 6 days a week for 3 months just so I could buy it - I had a crappy job at the time that paid a pittance, but I had wanted one since I was 14 years old (bought it when I was 19). I still have it and all that hard work and money means nothing now - out of my 9 guitars it's my favourite.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah by construction changes I meant the neck thru and veneer. Are you sure they're using paper thin veneers on the tops now? I was under the understanding that the tops are unchanged.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my SL2H in 2001 brand new for $1350 w/case. So they have definitely increased quite a bit. That was 13 years ago though.

snowblind56

Reaction score
Not a "Full thickness neck-through." The neck does, in fact, go THROUGH the entire body. Functionally, this matters not at all.

The rest of your post is entirely up to personal preference.

Price is not twice as high as it was a few years ago. It has gone up though. That does quite suck.

While the neck does go through the body, it gets cut off as soon as the neck pickup gets routed and ceases to go all the way through the body.

I bought my SL2H in 2001 brand new for $1350 w/case. So they have definitely increased quite a bit. That was 13 years ago though.

Name a guitar that hasn't gone up in price in the last 10 years?

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. I am going to check out the Custom Select route -or- spend a ton less and find a minty used model. There is something about those Jacksons that captivate me. I am surprised I have never owned one, however.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Name a guitar that hasn't gone up in price in the last 10 years?

I wasn't suggesting that prices for other brands haven't gone up, but some have gone up drastically more than others.

For reference, a Fender American Standard Strat in 2000 was $1049.

Currently, a 2014 Fender American Standard Strat is $1249.

That's a 46% increase for Jackson vs. a 19% increase for Fender. Also take into consideration that the Fender has had improvements to hardware and pickups comparing the 2000 to the 2014, where the Jackson specs have remained static.

I absolutely love Jackson, but their new prices for their USA stuff has gotten a bit out of control.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score

LOL, reminds of how I paid $450 for a brand new American Standard in 1992.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting that prices for other brands haven't gone up, but some have gone up drastically more than others.

Never mind that I think Fender's USA models are crazy overpriced in the first place. The things are worth about $500 to me, tops.

That's just me though.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
While the neck does go through the body, it gets cut off as soon as the neck pickup gets routed and ceases to go all the way through the body.

Right, and I'm still going to go with it not mattering one bit :lol:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. I am going to check out the Custom Select route -or- spend a ton less and find a minty used model. There is something about those Jacksons that captivate me. I am surprised I have never owned one, however.

This is the route to go IMHO. I just put in an order for a custom select myself, although it appears I'll have to wait two weeks before the order is officially in since my guy at the Jackson dealer here is on vacation out of the country until then and Jackson didn't respond with the official build sheet before today :wallbash:. My deposit is down though.

I certainly don't mind paying ~$2700 for essentially a custom model with specs above the current USA Select line (which are essentially "custom" too, they're made in the same shop). If you go used you can get a great deal.

I checked out other brands and have enjoyed quite a few Ibanez models, but for whatever reason I always go back to the sharkfins and pointy headstock :lol:

Not sure why I didn't do a multi-quote if I was going to reply to three different posts...

snowblind56

Reaction score
This is the route to go IMHO. I just put in an order for a custom select myself, although it appears I'll have to wait two weeks before the order is officially in since my guy at the Jackson dealer here is on vacation out of the country until then and Jackson didn't respond with the official build sheet before today :wallbash:. My deposit is down though.

I certainly don't mind paying ~$2700 for essentially a custom model with specs above the current USA Select line (which are essentially "custom" too, they're made in the same shop). If you go used you can get a great deal.

I checked out other brands and have enjoyed quite a few Ibanez models, but for whatever reason I always go back to the sharkfins and pointy headstock :lol:

Not sure why I didn't do a multi-quote if I was going to reply to three different posts...

Hell, I've got 3 Custom Selects and one on order. Also, even the Custom Selects have had a jump in price from when they were introduced last year, but I'm not complaining as they are offering better options now.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score

Well, I think I have decided to go USA Select and buy a new one. Sweetwater just has packages that can't be denied. I'll be ordering in May. Finally, my first Jackson.

Nails In Your Coffin

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, I am about to drop $2500 on a brand new SL1. I have wanted one of these since I was in high school. Should I do it? If not, what should I get that is not way outside of the price range of the SL1.

Thanks for any input on this. I have never spent this much on a guitar (even an Ibanez, which is my favorite brand).

If you don't have anything against buying used guitars, look for a cherry used one.

About two years ago I scored a 2003 KV2 that was nearly flawless for $999. There is a very light abrasion on the backside of the neck where someone wasn't real careful with the allen wrench, and a few "hairline scratches" where the strap was. Other than those few very light flaws, which you won't see unless the light hits them just right, the guitar is in PERFECT condition. There aren't any dents, scratches, chips, etc. I think it retailed for like $3,200 when brand new.

Just keep looking, Soloists aren't going anywhere. :yesway:

')