Going to buy and refinish Ibanez 8 soon

• Thread starter Crescent2k6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
I just have a few dilemmas... the first I'm sure you've heard 1000 times,

To RGA8 or 2228? Really not sure if the 2228 is worth the extra grand or so considering I'll probably be swapping out the EMG's for Blackouts anyway.

The second is... I'm thinking of getting it refinished at Sims Custom Shop (because I despise black guitars), but I'm not sure if you guys have heard good or bad about this place or if there's another place that would be preferred/cheaper.

Third... Which color to get :wallbash:. I'm very tempted to get Chrome but with how much it costs and how much it'll probably just look like a Bad Horsie Jem, idk... Chameleon also looks sexy. Opinions? :)

Will probably be buying this guitar within the next month/few weeks because I'm definitely feeling GAS for an 8. I had an ESP SC-608B for a while but it just felt like complete garbage to me so I sold it. I tried an RGA8 recently in a music store and fell in love with the Ibanez 8 string neck. I'm also in the back of my mind considering agile but considering how much I disliked the ESP neck I'm a bit weary.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kingpinMS3

dumb, but harmless
Reaction score
don't get it refinished at sims unless you don't want to see your guitar for 2 years.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sims has been banned from three different forums for a reason, including this one... DO NOT WANT.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
it's more a question of your budget in the end anyways, isn't it?

i own a RGA8 and test-played the RG2228 several times and i'd say the RGA is a good bang for the buck. of course you can always tell the difference between prestiges and non-prestiges, but if you're thinking of installing some blackouts and refinishing anyways, save the money the RG2228 costs and upgrade the RGA8 for less than the difference.

;)

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Wow thanks so much guys had no idea about sims custom shop's reputation. Maybe I'll check out some local auto body places too. I'm definitely leaning to the RGA8 atm. How annoying is the battery box in the back exactly? it looks like it sticks out quite a bit.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
chameleon is very sexy and expensive... see if you like the guitar first

also 8 string blackouts are the same size as EMG 808's. why not do a 18V mod first to see if you like it... very cheap thing to try... the emg 18V mod is what the blackouts were designed to sound like anyway

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I got a quote for Sims for a paintjob, and for the same price I could get a swirl finish from Out Of This Swirled, so they could be worth checking out as an alternative.

shitsøn;1900549 said:
...but if you're thinking of installing some blackouts and refinishing anyways, save the money the RG2228 costs and upgrade the RGA8 for less than the difference.

^ This.

Latest posts

')