Gojira - Ah! Ça Ira (Olympics opening ceremony)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
are they really focused on this? id think they'd be more into the mockery of the last supper and the Saturn worship
I regretfully spend enough time on Facebook and Reddit to see that all of the above has gotten some jimmies rustled. People not understanding what the imagery was supposed to mean, calling the Olympics woke, crying about the last supper that wasn't a last supper, crying about the the "bad performances", crying about drag performers, etc etc. You know, like normal facebook stuff. From the wasteland that is facebook. At this point, facebook is just the place where old grumps go to shout into the void about wokeness. Any normal person in the real world I've spoken to seemed to land in a "the ceremony had something for everyone, so that's pretty cool" kind of place.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I regretfully spend enough time on Facebook and Reddit to see that all of the above has gotten some jimmies rustled. People not understanding what the imagery was supposed to mean, calling the Olympics woke, crying about the last supper that wasn't a last supper, crying about the the "bad performances", crying about drag performers, etc etc. You know, like normal facebook stuff. From the wasteland that is facebook. At this point, facebook is just the place where old grumps go to shout into the void about wokeness. Any normal person in the real world I've spoken to seemed to land in a "the ceremony had something for everyone, so that's pretty cool" kind of place.
And also like, this is the Paris Olympics. Do people not have any idea that Parisian and French culture in general is historically considered to be a little wacky and lightly subversive at its basest level? This isn't the Atlanta Olympics, grandpa.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Found a video of the performance sans commentary:

As far as all of the hullabaloo specifically over this, I'm a conservative Christian (and a grandpa for that matter) and oy vey. Dusty old baptist's gonna dusty old baptist, and France gonna France. It's no wonder most people don't take Christianity seriously anymore. That said, Vive Gojira!

Last edited:

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm the odd man out because The Link is my favorite with Terra Incognita being second.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I'm the odd man out because The Link is my favorite with Terra Incognita being second.

Those two are my favorites too but in the opposite order. FMTS is cool too but I prefer The Way of All Flesh over it. The rest aren't that great, but compared to the competition they're pretty good.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Their more recent material doesn't do much for me, but I've seen them live four times and they were great every time. The first time was during their 2009 Way of All Flesh tour, in a tiny venue with a <500 capacity, and the most recent was headlining Bloodstock Open Air.

')