Gojira recording question

• Thread starter fungwabus117
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fungwabus117

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked, I did a quick search but it may not have been thorough enough.

So I've been listening to this:

and cannot get over how fucking massive the guitars and production in general sound.

Anyone have any insight into how Gojira records guitars? Double track, quad track, etc or anything about their mix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Continuum

Reaction score
0:35, sounds... maybe quadtracked with 2 of the guitars an octave higher/lower, panned differently? I don't really have a clue but that's my quick guess.

Enselmis

Reaction score
0:35, sounds... maybe quadtracked with 2 of the guitars an octave higher/lower, panned differently? I don't really have a clue but that's my quick guess.

Maybe panned differently, I really doubt octave higher or lower.

I suspect it's just really sickeningly tight double tracking with a great producer in an expensive studio. That's pretty much how I would describe Gojira's sound on The Way of All Flesh and L'Enfant Sauvage. Expensive sounding. I love it.

Reaction score
Very little gain and quad tracking by the sound of it. You can hear the guitars isolated on the album before this one nicely on their track Backbone. IIRC they use 5150/6505's.

Aurochs34

SDMF, mofos
Reaction score
Why are these guys so badass?! Love it.

I realize this doesn't really contribute to this thread at all, but I agree with what's already been written anyway...

:wavey:

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
I LOVE that snare, it's pretty much what i'm contstantly looking for in my recordings. (not much of a crack guy)

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Gojira has really nailed their sound with L'enfant Sauvage I think.

They use 5150s I know that. These guys have been making music for over a decade so they have had some time to nail their sound ;)
They use a Telecaster a lot as well.

I for one would love to be able to get a tone close to Gojira with my Pod HD Pro!

greglecompte

Reaction score
it sounds massive because they let everything have its own space they eqd the guitars to not interfere with the vocals and the snare to not interfere with the guitars after eqing its all about scale and how loud the guitars are to the drums they also sorta went with the old metallic drums where there pretty clicky so the guitars have the majority of the low end you notice the tom hits sort of destroy the guitars when they are hit

IconW

Reaction score
Could be quad tracked but not necessarily (sure there is many layers). Anyway the bass and how it sits with the guitar tone in the spectrum is the key for massive mix. Of course twangy and quite middy low-gain tone has it's part too. Excellent mix and solid low end.

fungwabus117

Reaction score
it sounds massive because they let everything have its own space they eqd the guitars to not interfere with the vocals and the snare to not interfere with the guitars after eqing its all about scale and how loud the guitars are to the drums they also sorta went with the old metallic drums where there pretty clicky so the guitars have the majority of the low end you notice the tom hits sort of destroy the guitars when they are hit

So would an example of that be cutting an on the snare where an area is boosted on the guitars, so that they don't interfere? Or am I misunderstanding?

If i'm not getting it can you give an example of what it would mean to let everything have its own space?

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
So would an example of that be cutting an on the snare where an area is boosted on the guitars, so that they don't interfere? Or am I misunderstanding?

If i'm not getting it can you give an example of what it would mean to let everything have its own space?

Kinda sorta.

You gotta think of it all like a puzzle piece, I'm only mediocre at best at mixing, but the basic concept is to give everything its own breathing room, so it can shine in its own spectrum. There will be shared space, its just up to your ears to decide what shares space where.

MacTown09

Reaction score
I really love their new album and the whole mix inspires me so much every time I listen.

I think what really makes it shine is the clarity within each instrument. It has been already stated that the instruments don't interfere with each other as far as frequency goes, but it goes a little further than that. The instruments just work so well TOGETHER and that is what makes it so damn addicting to listening to. That grinding bass tone just fits so well with the drums its not even funny. It's like they were meant to be together.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I know their last album was jackson guitars with Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, into a 5150 III, with the matching cab, mic'd with an AKG mic i forget what is called (not one of the usual guitar cab ones). It's mostly just in how you balance the tone though. Enough bite, but not too tight a tone (you want some growl and grit to stay in), a very balanced and open tone, and playing more "organic" sounding chords and stuff.

')