Gojira Track 'L'Enfant Sauvage' Streaming at Pitchfork!

• Thread starter Prydogga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
There are moments where I hear the twang and others when I can't believe it's a tele. Loving the album so far!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UTSC

Reaction score
This album is so much better than the last one. TWOAF was pretty boring. The first 3 tracks and the 10th track were the best. I think it would have been better served if they rearranged the track order, but after A Sight to Behold, it sounded like one long song. This album however, is laid out perfectly. The production is awesome. It's got the Gojira squish, but is still focused and discernible. There is so much more melody hidden in all of these songs, but the heaviness is there. There doesn't seem to be any big breaks as cool as the ones in "Ocean Planet" or the tail end of "Remembrance" but there are so many more emotional guitar lines, it's welcome. Regarding the "whale slides"...it's Gojira, it's going to happen. A signature sound is a signature sound. Oh, and Mario is ON POINT all over this whole thing. Subtle brilliance.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
You are right, Mario is on point with this one.. I listened to Liquid Fire a dozen times before I even realized how crazy the drum groove he was playing was. He's so groovy but somehow restrained at the same time. way more musical than a lot of drummers.

SammyKillChambers

Reaction score
tumblr_ljtwo396nY1qdjxpm.gif

My sentiments exactly. I need this album.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
Everyone, please listen to The Gift of Guilt and understand why Mario is the best Metal drummer in the world.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Just got back from seeing them. Amazing gig. Haven't heard the new album yet other than the title track, but they played a couple of tracks from it that sounded awesome.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope my copy arrives soon, and arrives well! Heard rumors about missing CD's and what not! >.<

Ocean Planet is still my favorite album by Gojira, closely followed by The Link!
Saw them live at the Copenhell metal festival just recently! It was the second time I've seen them live. Breathtaking to say the least! :agree:

A little live clip for those who want some noise: :)

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
sorry but this album destorys periphery imo. It is so massive and well thought out. Not saying periphery is not...but.....ya dig? :squint:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
imo this album and Periphery II couldn't be more different.. I prefer this one but P2 is one of the most epic metal albums I've ever heard.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
Look what the mailman brought me today! :D

582140_10151786783967837_28565844_n.jpg

...I'm gonna blast it loud when my roommate wakes up! ^_^

Repner

Reaction score
Something I just realised. I took another look at the preorder site, and realised they were advertising the european bundle as the special edition CD+DVD with shirt. I only have the single disc regular version here. Any others have the same?

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
Something I just realised. I took another look at the preorder site, and realised they were advertising the european bundle as the special edition CD+DVD with shirt. I only have the single disc regular version here. Any others have the same?
Same here... 1 disc - no dvd?!

Think I'll have to write the distributor about this issue! :/

EDIT:
...well, after looking through my orders it appears that I ordered one without dvd! >.<
DAMMIT!!!

EDIT EDIT:
...however, the website does say that the package I ordered should include the DVD!
I'm gonna send that email! :O
**rablerablerablerablerable!**

UTSC

Reaction score
I pre-ordered by following "The Link" on Gojira's facebook. It came on the Tuesday of release with the t-shirt and the double disc version. The DVD is pretty good, but all it did was remind me that I can't wait for the US release of "The Flesh Live" on blu-ray.

The first of the bonus tracks really turns my motor, has some old-school Gojira vibes, some of that old razor-sharpness that they don't use so much anymore. The second one is decent, but I can see why it didn't make it to the album.

Insomnia allows me to reflect...feel free to TL:DR me.

This and Periphery II are completely different albums...but share something in common for me.

My first taste of Gojira was FMTS in December of 2k5, and I found an audio rip of "The Link Alive" the next day. I promptly fell in love the the band and wasted no time in importing legit copies of "The Link" and "Terra Incognita" (Also imported Textures' "Polars" at the same time). Fast-forward about three years and multiple live encounters with Gojira, "The Way of All Flesh" comes out, and was honestly disappointed. I liked 4 songs on the album...which by my typical standards equals a good album. Gojira was different, I loved everything they did...but TWOAF just missed the mark somehow. I saw the band on their first headlining tour of the US after the album dropped, and it was great, so there was still an amazing live show to keep my faith in the band. The Sea Shepard song was released, and it seemed more of the same blah-sounding Gojira, and my hope started to fade for the band. When they released the lead single from L'Enfant, I thought "Well, it's a little different than stuff on TWOAF" and was still interested in hearing the album, and then Liquid Fire was released, and I LOVED it. It hit the right balance heaviness and beauty that I felt was missing from the previous album. After hearing the rest of the album, I am a renewed Gojira fan. I do miss some of the older flavor of the band, but the emotion in just about every aspect of this album shines through, and I can relate to it. I can't believe I almost gave up on this band.

I first heard Periphery through my buds Joe and Diana. I'd seen the name and references to Bulb and this and that through this site and other places on the internet, but I never listened to the band until those two wouldn't stop talking about it. I couldn't dig it. There was something that wasn't connecting with me musically. I heard the instrumental versions of the songs first, so I know it wasn't the vocals. My buds were all pumped on this band...they had the "Got Djent" shirts and all that, so I wanted to give them an honest shake. I went "all in" and bought the super expensive bundle of the icarus ep, and figured I could give all the gear to Joe if it didn't work out. I developed a liking for the single, and the remixes, and started to listen to the s/t LP more often. The songs started making sense to me, and I could call myself a casual fan. Periphery played here with Textures back in the fall of last year, and Dualism was just about to be released (they had copies on sale at the show, but I had preordered a bundle), and I was going to the show to see them (they ruled btw!), but I figured I'd get a first hand experience of a Periphery show to add to my budding fandom. Turns out, I didn't have a good time. I don't know what it was about the show, but I didn't dig it. I don't know if it was the sound, the crowd, or my lack of knowledge of the songs...but watching them live felt exactly like the first time listening to them...it just didn't connect. I stopped listening to them after that. Fast-forward to the announcement of the new album and the hype-machine...I thought "I remember that the only song besides Icarus that I dug at that show, was one they announced as a new song." So I figured I'd listen to the previews and see if I could hear which song it was. I failed, but I did hear the preview to "Muramasa" and something about it resonated with me. It was almost exactly what I envisioned in my head when I thought "They need to do something big to win me back." After hearing that, I didn't even care what the rest of the album sounded like. I figured if they could put something like that together, they were in the right frame of mind to do something great. The stream drops, and it was confirmed: I like this much better than the first one, and there is greatness here. I'm a renewed Periphery fan.

Just as I was about to call it a day on both bands, they drop great albums. Good stuff, great work, and thanks. Both have set the soundtrack for my summer.

P.S. I wish the new Mnemic was as good as these.

P.P.S. Same goes for Linkin Park

-C

beneharris

Reaction score
Same here... 1 disc - no dvd?!

Think I'll have to write the distributor about this issue! :/

EDIT:
...well, after looking through my orders it appears that I ordered one without dvd! >.<
DAMMIT!!!

EDIT EDIT:
...however, the website does say that the package I ordered should include the DVD!
I'm gonna send that email! :O
**rablerablerablerablerable!**

i had the same problem. i was under the impression according to the website i'd get a dvd with my vinyl. but didn't

cd ROCKS, though

')