Gojira

• Thread starter MetalheadMC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
M3t2e.gif

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
....wait... just NOW? i thought they have been in the studio for a while already...

damn. that means we won't be getting a new lp till the end of the year probably. and at the soonest. :\

Sumsar

Reaction score
Well they are playing concerts / festivals this summer, so I guess they may have already written the new material and are just recording it?

Funky D

Reaction score
Build your own studio, then record your album, then operate studio.
That's one way to do it!
I wonder if they will base in NY then?

Entropy Prevails

Reaction score
I´m cautiously optimistic about this. Joe said in some interview that they have explored new methods of songwriting and that they´re confident with the songs that they´ve written so far. Now comes the waiting period.

Funky D

Reaction score
I´m cautiously optimistic about this. Joe said in some interview that they have explored new methods of songwriting and that they´re confident with the songs that they´ve written so far. Now comes the waiting period.

I'm all for trying something new, but man I love their style so I hope they don't change too much! :realmad:

Sumsar

Reaction score
I'm all for trying something new, but man I love their style so I hope they don't change too much! :realmad:

Well their last 3 albums have been very very similar, and even though I love those albums I wouldn't mind if they tried something new :)

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Well their last 3 albums have been very very similar, and even though I love those albums I wouldn't mind if they tried something new :)

I agree. I actually though L'Enfaunt Sauvage was a bit booring, big dissapointment given the fact that I absolutely love all of their previous albums (well, From Mars to Sirius a little bit less than the others). I hope there'll be more Toxic Garbage Island -type songs :hbang:

It's gonna be full on djent

If that happens I promise to hang myself by my balls and post a video of it here :lol:

celticelk

Reaction score
About time, it's almost been three years already since the last release.

My usual assumption is that touring, resting, writing, and recording takes about three years after the release of an album, and possibly longer (if you're Tool, *lots* longer). People who expect new albums from all of their favorite bands every other year just strike me as unrealistic.

Funky D

Reaction score
My usual assumption is that touring, resting, writing, and recording takes about three years after the release of an album, and possibly longer (if you're Tool, *lots* longer). People who expect new albums from all of their favorite bands every other year just strike me as unrealistic.

The bands that do yearly releases either have an album worth of material in the hole (witch would require planning and patients, something musicians are not known for), don't tour or buy their material. All of which is pretty rare.
Personally, I think you get more dynamics when "life" happens between albums. If I write 3 albums and release over 4 or 5 years, you're getting 5 year old material at the end, which might not be relevant at the time.

Entropy Prevails

Reaction score

People who expect ANYTHING from their favourite bands or from artists in general are listening to music for all the wrong reasons imo.

On another note: Am I wrong in believing that Gojira are getting pretty big, especially if you consider how heavy they are? It seems that them, Machine Head and LoG are the big, somewhat extreme bands that pull big numbers.

MetalheadMC

Reaction score

From what I read, the biggest difference in the songwriting process this time is that they're actually dumping riffs and songs. In the past, they would demo songs, and keep them as they were. Now with they're writing, if anything sounds boring at all from the start, they s... can it.

Joe stated he's doing the production to hopefully give the album a more personal sound a feel to us fans. He also claimed some of their new riffs are "Pantera-ish" with more punch this go around.

The interview
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gojira-enters-new-york-studio-to-record-sixth-album/

Sumsar

Reaction score
People who expect ANYTHING from their favourite bands or from artists in general are listening to music for all the wrong reasons imo.

On another note: Am I wrong in believing that Gojira are getting pretty big, especially if you consider how heavy they are? It seems that them, Machine Head and LoG are the big, somewhat extreme bands that pull big numbers.

I would say Gojira, Behemoth and LoG, well at least in europe. Those have all become (frequent) headliners of european metal festivals. I dunno about Machine Head I have never really listened to it and they don't play here very often.

About the frequency of albums: Most bands, probaply because their labels tell them to do so because it is the tried and true method works with the make 1 album, spend atleast 1 year touring for said album (this is where the band makes it income for 3 years in one year as the label take all the money from the album ofc), rest, tour while also focusing abit on older material aswell as the newest album, repeat. There is a few artist, often solo artist, who works differently, the most obvious being Devin Townsend. He writes several albums simultaneously often in various genres.
While I like alot of Devins work I think a good bit of it seems rushed and just writen for the sake of writing something - it seems he kind of looses focus and is not necesarrily inspired to work with the music he is actually working on in the moment. He ends up reusing ideas and riffs.
That being said I would like more bands to experiment with the shape of the business, for example say Gojira recorded (and released) two albums in a row without touring in between - especially now that they have their own studio. But I guess that requires that you have a certain size and financials to be able to pull that off.. and that your first priority in life is not to make money but music.

Sumsar

Reaction score
From what I read, the biggest difference in the songwriting process this time is that they're actually dumping riffs and songs. In the past, they would demo songs, and keep them as they were. Now with they're writing, if anything sounds boring at all from the start, they s... can it.
[/URL]

:lol: :scratch:

WTF? I thought professional bands actually did this per default to make sure they only released the best of the best material they have. I do this in with my band for our first album .. So far we have writen about 20 songs and completely canned 7 songs, so 4 song were good enough for our EP and then 9 for our first album. Not that we thought they were downright 'bad', just maybe abit boring here and there without catchy riffs (Yes riffs also have to be catchy in blackened death metal)

Latest posts