Gojira

• Thread starter MetalheadMC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Razerjack

Reaction score
Listened to the whole album a couple times, and now I feel safe to say that although this album has it's moments, it's still lacking compared to their previous efforts, mostly due to the lack of consistency.
Being a huge Gojira fan myself, I can't help but think that Gojira has unfortunately already lost some of their originality, that due to the simplistic nature of their riffs/grooves, they're bound to repeat themselves along the way....
Stranded is a killer song tho, not as intense as older Gojira classics, but still carries their signature.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BoneClaws

Young Old Man
Reaction score
Gojira is sounding like a cross between Prong and Killing Joke.

I liked them before, but I very much approve of this change :hbang: :yesway: :metal:

This is probably the best way to explain the way "Stranded" sounds, absolutely. And I love that. It's not exactly like previous Gojira but it's still heavy and powerful, just more straight-forward song structure.

ALL early reviews for the album are amazing, my enthusiasm is undiminished. I'm sorry to see there were so many people who didn't like "Stranded" just because it wasn't tech-death elite.

I always love how metal fans never, ever get tired of crafting elaborate arguments to justify their whining when a band they like decides to streamline their sound. Like some random jackoffs in the crowd understand the band, their sound and their motivations better than the guys in the actual band. It's even funnier when these randos wish the band had gotten more experimental, weird and niche. It's not exactly healthy to tie your enjoyment of a band to how few other people like it :nono:

The song has a lot of plays and over 99% likes so clearly they did something right. It's almost like all of Gojira's essence has come through in a newer, simpler song... just like it has on Mastodon, Meshuggah, and Lamb of God's new stuff.

Let the band do what it will

I totally agree with this. "Silvera" reminds me a lot of LoG during the verses and then experiments with clean vocals during the chorus. The riffs are less complex than what we've heard in the past but it's still heavy, intricate and essentially Gojira. So what's the problem?

Fvck ya'll.
Stranded was meh but Silvera kicks some serious as$. Don't like the direction they're headed? Guess what, their older material hasn't disappeared.
And this is true, also.

I am against bands changing so much they sound like something completely antithetical to their original selves but I have nothing against some shifting of dynamics and aesthetic as a way of progressing.

People are way too quick to jump to the conclusion that any change equals career death. Sometimes there is a gradual change to something better, sometimes there is a misstep and then a course correction, sometimes there is just a new phase. I am loving new Gojira so far (haven't heard full album, I'm waiting for official release)

big_aug

Reaction score
Still my most anticipated album. What's official release date?

Sikthness

Reaction score
FMTS is easily Goatjira. Way of All Flesh had some great songs (art of Dying), as did the Infant Sausage. New cd is boring. Too simple, no standout tracks. Not ballsy enough, not like the big swinging balls from FMTS. I listened to it and thought "not awful" then i listened to the ending of Backbone, From the Sky, Heaviest Matter, and Flying Whales and shed a manly tear

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Been a Gojira fan since FMTS/TWOAF. I liked Stranded, even as a departure from their traditional style of songwriting, but felt it was still quintessentially Gojira - simple riffs/songwriting utilized in a unique/ridiculously heavy way. Having listened to Silvera a couple of more times now, it just sounds like they took everything that was great about themselves and streamlined it into a punchier format - that seamless transition from the chugged/heavy verses to the floatier chorus is a sonic masterpeice IMO.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
hardly got through this new one.

Listening, I felt like they were trolling me the whole time.

Maybe pulling an Old Man Gloom and leaking a fake album.

But I guess not, 5 years to put together 40 minutes of meandering tunes with boring riffs, half baked vocals and mostly corny lyrics.

oh well.

moving on

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Finishing up the album now from YT, given how many people were thinking it was the end of Gojira as we know it I had to hear for myself. I don't get how it's "wildly inconsistent." It felt like Gojira from start to finish with the exception of Liberation.

My thoughts:
- Pushed 'Shooting Star' to third, and make it open with 'Silvera' and follow up with 'The Cell'
- 'Magma' has a great opening riff, but then it does the weird harmonic thing from the teasers that I hated, which bummed me out, because again: great opening riff.
- 'Yellow Stone' : this is that weird sort of lul-track that they tend to throw in somewhere, and this is the weakest they've done yet. It just doesn't really do anything and could be scrapped.
- Ditch 'Liberation' and just end the album at 'Low Lands' which has a solid outro.

Coincidentally, once I finished the album and tried to go back, it had been removed for copyright so I had perfect timing.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
You recommend a couple songs just get ditched from the album entirely... but it's not inconsistent? :lol: I call it inconsistent mostly because I think the album takes off with the title track and that last 4 strong stretch up until Liberation is awesome, but the first half is kinda ehh. Maybe it is just a pacing issue.

The album keeps growing on me for the most part, aside from the Cell. Really don't like that one.

My preorder is entirely backordered, even the From Mars 20th anniversary shirt is sold out. WTF.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
You recommend a couple songs just get ditched from the album entirely... but it's not inconsistent? :lol: I call it inconsistent mostly because I think the album takes off with the title track and that last 4 strong stretch up until Liberation is awesome, but the first half is kinda ehh. Maybe it is just a pacing issue.

The album keeps growing on me for the most part, aside from the Cell. Really don't like that one.

My preorder is entirely backordered, even the From Mars 20th anniversary shirt is sold out. WTF.

To be far, ditching two songs on this album (even calling YS a "song" seems like a stretch) is the equivalent of taking away one song on their previous albums :lol:

I just feel like they don't add anything to the album, they're simply instrumentals here and there that break up the pacing. Yellow Stone at least sounds like something Gojira would right, but Liberation seems like it was taken from somewhere and tacked on as a "hey this could be a cool outro."

Kidneythief

Reaction score
I'm in space floating...

4 more days, the wait is killing me, and I want to listen to the album, and hear for myself, if what some people are saying is true.

A lot of people are "complaining", but in the end what will really matter is, how they'll fit in the songs and play them live infront of an audience. If it clicks live, and people are having a good time I don't see a problem :lol:

SD83

Reaction score
Listening to "Shooting star", I'm not even waiting anymore. I will give it a few tries once it's out, but thus far I'm glad I didn't preorder. Reminds me of the route In Flames took... If they like what they're doing, great for them, just not my cup of tea.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Damn, people seem very offended by this album. I didn't care for Stranded on first listen, but Silvera got stuck in my head from the start. The album has some strong songs on it, the whole of it is starting to sink in though. I think Gojira have an every other album is great kind of deal, I think Way of All Flesh has some good songs on it, but From Mars and L'Enfant Sauvage are way better.
You can tell that they were comfortable in their own studio writing this though. Feels a bit more laid back and overall a bit less aggressive. I'm definitely not dismissing it in any way. There's enough on it that I really like to keep me listening.

Latest posts

')