Gojira

• Thread starter MetalheadMC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
I listened to it a few times through, and I'm not a huge fan of it to be honest. While it does sound like Gojira, the music lacks all of the aspects of their sound that attracted me to the band in the first place. They took out the deceptively progressive riffs and song structures in favor of a more streamlined and straight forward sound. To me, they're failing in trying to go the route that Mastodon took in choosing to exploit the more accessible aspects of their sound.

Just my :2c:, though. I also thought L'Enfant Sauvage was pretty hit or miss and they were one of the most disappointing live bands I've ever seen, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate, and I'm glad that I'm a "Gojira noob" otherwise I probably wouldn't feel this way, but I love The Shooting Star.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Honestly, I am loving the songs I heard thus far. I really dig the whole vibe and the melodies are really strong throughout.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
the verse on Shooting Star is pretty much an expensive-sounding rip off of the verse of Sleep - Dragonaut

big_aug

Reaction score
I like Shooting Star. I hope the whole album has this much variety. Stranded, Silvera, and Shooting Star are all so very different.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
After giving the album a couple listens, I give it like a 3/5. I do find it enjoyable and there are some cool moments, but it doesnt touch FMTS or TWOAF. I like the inclusion of cleaner vocals and some slower stuff. Its a good experiment into new territory for Gojira. Hopefully they can cultivate their new ideas in the future and give us a home run next time. I feel like this is a transitional album into a new era for the band.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
You mean the sincere, heartfelt lyrics Joe wrote about his recently deceased mother, lyrics that brought other band members to literal tears? That hack! (source)

Opinions aside, it doesn't matter how heartfelt or sincere the lyrics are if you're judging them by any other metric than "how someone might feel about it". People can be moved by otherwise-"bad" lyrics.

BoneClaws

Young Old Man
Reaction score
didn't pay attention to those lyrics, but these sound like they were written by a Soulfly tribute band from Kazakhstan

GOJIRA LYRICS - Silvera

Opinions aside, it doesn't matter how heartfelt or sincere the lyrics are if you're judging them by any other metric than "how someone might feel about it". People can be moved by otherwise-"bad" lyrics.
lol... I know, I was just laughing at how one man's trash is another man's treasure. Lyrics that seem like crap to you might be the vocalists personal most important work. There's no accounting for taste. :lol:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
The easiest way to please DLG is to just keep putting out songs that sound exactly like everything you've already done. so he digs the new Revocation, of course.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
I like the new song. It's spacey, but it still has a lot of weight to it.

This album seems like it's going to have a bit of variety to it, and honestly that's okay by me. Not every band is AC/DC, and can put out the same thing, album after album, 10+ years deep into their own musical career.

For what it's worth, all three new songs have made me love Gojira even more.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I get that people aren't getting on with the simplified nature of the music, but I don't even know how 'corny' lyrics is even a criticism or how it even matters.
This is metal, not underground hip hop, it's a genre where the founding band of it all rhymed "Masses" and "Masses", where tech death bands talk about aliens, power metal bands with dragons and wizards and death metal bands with lyrics that are basically just b-grade horror/comedy slashers in music and lyric form.:lol:
From one of the most influential metal albums of all time :

"We’re scanning the scene in the city tonight
We’re looking for you to start up a fight"'

Ya know, those really fantastic, thought provoking lyrics of an early 20s Hetfield :lol:

The lyrics in Silvera are REALLY not any worse than what a lot of people on this forum listen too :shrug:

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
And I'd give Gojira a lot of leeway with English lyrics. I remember reading an interview few years ago where they said Joe mainly does the interviews because he's the only one who actually speaks English (adequately). Most likely this has changed, but still. The french are not famous for their Cambridge level language skills (with the exception of french, naturally). ;)

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I thought their lyrics were excellent earlier. much more poetic, esoteric.

"I won't bring no material in the after life
Take no possessions, I would rather travel light"

echoes similar sentiments that Cynic used to evoke.

they're definitely dumbed down now.

but then again, so is the music, so I guess it fits.

keep being really mad at me for not sharing your opinions though :D

InHiding

Reaction score
I've heard a few songs from this band before and I listened to the new tracks. Stranded had a good general idea, but needed something more somehow. Slight modifications of the riffs instead of just repeating them so much maybe. The other two songs were quite average. An OK band I guess, but I wouldn't pay to see them.

Cnev

Reaction score
I get that people aren't getting on with the simplified nature of the music, but I don't even know how 'corny' lyrics is even a criticism or how it even matters.
This is metal, not underground hip hop, it's a genre where the founding band of it all rhymed "Masses" and "Masses", where tech death bands talk about aliens, power metal bands with dragons and wizards and death metal bands with lyrics that are basically just b-grade horror/comedy slashers in music and lyric form.:lol:
From one of the most influential metal albums of all time :

"We’re scanning the scene in the city tonight
We’re looking for you to start up a fight"'

Ya know, those really fantastic, thought provoking lyrics of an early 20s Hetfield :lol:

The lyrics in Silvera are REALLY not any worse than what a lot of people on this forum listen too :shrug:

I have no dog in the fight, and I haven't paid any attention to the lyrics off the new album. But, it's illogical to completely ignore all the varying styles and artistic intentions that exist within a genre as diverse as metal in an attempt to argue that because one band from one particular style of metal had certain lyrical intentions, that all other bands within the genre should share those same intentions. Gojira has always taken a fairly serious approach to their music and lyrics, and their overall message is much more conscientious than that of a 20 year old James Hetfield. There's ultimately no comparison between the two. They are completely different bands with completely different artistic intentions.

I don't care for the album, but it's not beyond me to understand why some people do. I'm not sure what is so offensive to some about others not liking it.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
The Shooting Star is a nice little relaxing background sound kind of song. I doubt I'd go out of my way to specifically listen to it again aside from when I eventually listen to the full album, but i wouldn't mind it coming on occasionally on shuffle.

Still despise the whammy pedal effect on Stranded though. I hope they end up releasing stems of the album one day so I can swap in one of the times he just plays the regular notes without effect.

Latest posts

')