Good 7 String Tuner?

• Thread starter timmyg1978
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyg1978

Struggling Cyco
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good tuner for 7 string guitar & 6 string bass? I currently have the tuner on my digitech gnx3 and a sabine stx 1100, but they both have trouble picking up the low A so I have to tune to my keyboard. Thanks in advance for your suggestions;^]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
BOSS TU-2.

I use it for 6 string tuned regular, 6 string tuned to C, 6 string tuned in 5ths (low F, regular E), 7 string guitars and a 5 string bass dropped to A sometimes. Works fine, works much better than the tuner on my POD.

timmyg1978

Struggling Cyco
Reaction score
Thanks for the swift reply, that's kinda what I was thinking but didn't want to shell out $100 without being sure. If I can get my half stack & bass amp sold then I'll probably get it, even if I have to pass on the bad horsie 2 pedal;^]

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score
Thanks for the swift reply, that's kinda what I was thinking but didn't want to shell out $100 without being sure. If I can get my half stack & bass amp sold then I'll probably get it, even if I have to pass on the bad horsie 2 pedal;^]

You can find them used on ebay, various forums, etc for far less than 100 bucks. Generally go for 50-70 bucks, depending on condition.

22km Tombstone

Pro Apologizer
Reaction score
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. It destroys any tuner I've ever used before. Way more accurate than the TU-2 which I used to have. +/- 0.02 cents accuracy. The TU-2 is what, +/- 3? The Turbo tuner is 150x as accurate.

Not trying to spam, but seriously I love this thing. I've never played a guitar that's been so in tune. One of my best purchases.

Check it out... it's not too expensive either ($129)

The Turbo Tuner ST-200 Stompbox Strobe Tuner - Owner's Manual

timmyg1978

Struggling Cyco
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input!!! Tried the 12th fret harmonic on both tuners, not so great on the the gnx3 but decent on the sabine. Only problem on the sabine is that it drifts after a second or two, but can be worked around for now so many thanks for that, I can't believe I hadn't tried that..lol. Might still buy the boss once I get the old equip. sold, looks worth the price tag if I can tune my low a's open. Thanks again everybody;^]:hbang::shred:

daveycrockett

Reaction score
korg pitch black here, we (devilsclub) use em for our 7's we drop to A and an 8 string, always picks the note right up. $89.99

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Korg CA-30 - been using it for 5 years and no worries.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input!!! Tried the 12th fret harmonic on both tuners, not so great on the the gnx3 but decent on the sabine. Only problem on the sabine is that it drifts after a second or two, but can be worked around for now so many thanks for that, I can't believe I hadn't tried that..lol. Might still buy the boss once I get the old equip. sold, looks worth the price tag if I can tune my low a's open. Thanks again everybody;^]:hbang::shred:

sure thing man. good luck!! :hbang:

timmyg1978

Struggling Cyco
Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Korg GA 30? I saw it was advertised as being "designed for 7 string" and went ahead & ordered it since it was only $10. I used to have the CA 30 but it was a bit inaccurate to my keyboard (tho may have been old batteries). If the GA 30 doesn't work out I'll get the Boss I think, I'm tired of buying tuners..lol;^]

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
My experience with tuners:
Boss tu-2's suck, they are not accurate. I've used one many times and it was not a pleasant experience. They also cost too much.

Planet waves pedal tuner was better than the Boss but not exceptional. Mine was stolen so I moved on to:

The Korg CA-30 will read any note. You can sing into the built in mic and it will read the note. You can fart to the built in mic and it will tell you what pitch it is.

I've read as low as F on a bass with it and it was working smoothly. It's also very affordable and the one AAA battery that it takes lasts for a really long time. I'm still using the battery that came with it.

The downside to this particular model is that it doesn't have a backlight. If this feature is essential to you I strobgly recommend a Korg that has one.

EDIT:
I used to have the CA 30 but it was a bit inaccurate to my keyboard (tho may have been old batteries).;^]

You may have accidentally hit the calibration buttons to something other than 440

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i use the behringer BTR2000 rack tuner and it works great for my guitars (7 is tuned to B standard) as well as my basses.
only costs $60 and has plenty of features (many built in typical tunings, standard and fine tuning display switchable, calibration to frequencies other than A440, metronome with display and/or sound output, a switchable rack light underneath, 2 inputs and a mic for acoustic use).

with the stock pickups in my 7420 it wouldn't pick up the low B, but with every other pickups i've used in that guitar there have been no problems at all.

only downside is that it is mostly plastic construction, so i don't know how road-worthy it would be. but if you keep it in a rack then it should be perfectly fine for gigging.

templton89

russki 3Dartist dude
Reaction score
i got GA-30 and it works perfely, I use it to tune as low as F

i bought it right when i bought my first guitar (about 2 years ago) and thought it sucks because it wouldn't let me tune to drop D... if I only what the "flat" button does :lol:

timmyg1978

Struggling Cyco
Reaction score
i got GA-30 and it works perfely, I use it to tune as low as F

i bought it right when i bought my first guitar (about 2 years ago) and thought it sucks because it wouldn't let me tune to drop D... if I only what the "flat" button does :lol:

Thanks for that info, good to know because I do eventualy wanna move up to an 8 string barritone (won't be happy 'till it's a neck as wide as my gsr206..lol) For now just drop A though.

About my old Korg tuner, could it's inaccuracy be because of old batteries? Same batteries for a couple years?
Also forgot to mention before my intellitouch tuner, but it doesn't work very well on any of my solid body guitars;^]:shred:

You may have accidentally hit the calibration buttons to something other than 440

Wouldn't it have reset itself though upon reboot? I'm pretty sure it was at 440, never noticed 'till I got my keyboard some months back. Kept leaving my les paul out of tune with the keyboard so I gave it away with my GAX70 when it sold & bought the Sabine;^]

Status
Not open for further replies.
')