Good 7 String tunes to learn for beginners?

• Thread starter mat091285
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mat091285

Reaction score
Hey all,

Want to ask ... if anyone could give me some suggestions to learn some 7 strings songs for beginners.. I have an IBanez K7 but want to learn some songs for starters .. before going on to some Nevermore songs .. the reason why i want to go 7 string haha ...

Any suggesitons? :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
If you have a K7 why not learn some of korns more difficult tracks, granted they are probably still not setting the world alight with technicality, but its a decent starting point.

Tbh ibanez necks are made to make it easy to move from 6 to seven strings if you can play Nevermore stuff on a 6 just jump straight into it on the 7

Demeyes

Reaction score
Fear Factory, Soilwork, Amon Amarth and At the Gates are bands whose songs are tuned to B that are fairly easy. I play songs by these guys to help me get used to the 7 string.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Unearth is pretty fast but most of their stuff is just moving power chords around, good stuff to learn and keep your left hand moving fast.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd choose Resurrection by FF. Not too fast, not too slow.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Learn whatever songs you like, if you have trouble with harder parts, slow them down.

One of the first songs I tried to tackle on a seven was the Mirror by Dream Theater. There are a few tricky parts, but for a DT song, it's pretty easy overall. Lie, on the other hand is a different story...

Not saying do Dream Theater, I'm just picking an example. :)

mat091285

Reaction score
Sweet ideas everyone! .. I think i will, try the Fear FActory riffs .. as they are pretty sweet sometimes! ..

thanks everyone!

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd choose Resurrection by FF. Not too fast, not too slow.

Me personally, Id say learn Archetype from FF. Easy progressions, intermediate difficulty palm mute chugs, and nice breakdown.

As far as other bands:

For B Standard: Lacuna Coil, Trapt, Flaw, Chimaira (Pass Out Of Existence - Drop A - AEADGBE), Coal Chamber, Ra

For A Standard: Taproot, Mushroomhead, Fear Factory, Korn

Those should be enough to keep you having fun for months. I always make "Workout" playlists. Like My A Standard one features ALL Fear Factory songs (i transpose the B Standard ones to work in A stand), A few Taproot songs, Divine Heresy, And ALL Korn songs except for their new record Untitled. That playlist right there is just shy of 14 hours....

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Nevermore perhaps? Or some of Morbid Angel's 7 string songs -- God of Emptiness & World Of Shit RULE.

mat091285

Reaction score
I will try those out when i get good at the easy stuff ... like Fear Factory ...

Dead but Dreaming

Reaction score

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
anything. anything at all. just playing songs that you're already a whiz at on your 6'er on your 7'er will give you a feel for what's going on with the extra string.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I actually do stuff like play Amorphis riffs down an octave (Shaman is a good one to move about like that), or something like one of Bang Camaro's riffs (Out on the Streets and the like are good for this) using straight power chords and just getting used to not having to shift as far (instead dropping down a string.) But I'm a pretty inexperienced player overall, so you may well be beyond this.

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
Try Dark Eternal Night, by Dream Theater.

The riffs are pretty cool, and I felt great when I was actually playing them. But some parts are too fast for me, because I actually suck at leads. I mean, it IS John Pretrucci, right.. And definitely try FF.

')