Good, Brutal sounding DiMarzio bridge pickup for Ibanez RG1527

MortuusMachina

Premier Tone Nazi
Reaction score
Hello, I'm wanting to replace the bridge pickup on my Ibanez RG1527 Prestige 7 string, made of Basswood (because Ibby stock pickups sound like ass)

I would get an EMG 707, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of cutting away at some of my guitar just to make it fit, so EMG is a no-go for me.

I'm looking at DiMarzios since my friends tell me they have a more natural tone to them.

I primarily play Melodic Death Metal, in the Swedish/Gothenburg style and I'm looking for a Scar Symmetry, Miseration, Solution .45, Dark Tranquillity, type guitar tone...you know, something thats really brutal

I play through a Peavey 5150 2x12 combo, no pedals...just straight in

I tune down a half-step for my 7,
A#, D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D# low - high
(or Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb...same exact thing, just a different way of saying/wording it), using gauges 10-59

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ironbird666

Reaction score
D-Activator 7 should do the trick man. They do a great job of pretending to be active pickups while maintaining the qualities that make passives great. I have the 6 string version in one of my guitars and I play it through a 5150 and it will get you In Flames tone for days. :yesway:

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
I would go for either the D-Activator (a passive that acts like an active) or the X2N. good luck!

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Had X2N in my old neck-thru late 80's Charvel. Found it to be slammin for chug riffs but a little cold and sterile for single string/note playing. I really think you'd be happier with one of the more harmonically rich sounding p.ups like D'activator.

eclipsex1

Reaction score
I'm in the process of refinishing my rg7321 and replacing the bridge pup with a crunch lab 7, changing the volume pot with a seymour duncan liberator, and getting a 3-way switch instead of a 5-way.

I haven't heard it yet, so I can't tell you how it sounds. However, I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Maybe take a look at bareknuckles? They're more expensive, which is the only reason I didn't get them. However, if you have the money go for it. :p

ang3

Reaction score
how to the d-activator compare to d-sonic? the website describe the dsonic better low low tunings

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
how to the d-activator compare to d-sonic? the website describe the dsonic better low low tunings

Totally different pickups.
D-Activators respond very similar to EMG's. They have a tight tone, but aren't really "shrill" like EMG's tend to sound. They are much more articulate in comparison. Greater response to pick attack and all that.

D-Sonic has either a rather dark tone, great for rhythm and low tunings, or a very mid-heavy tone that really cuts, depending on which way the bar is facing. Either pickup will work well for drop tuning.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
I have both the D-Sonic 7 and the D-Activator 7, and I prefer the D-Sonic just a bit more. I prefer the D-Sonic's pick response and dynamics. It also works alot better for leads, but still has an awesome rhythm tone. It's just a hair looser than the D-Activator, but still tight.

The D-Activator can be a bit sterile or bland to me sometimes, but the overall tone is very good, though not really any better or worse than the D-Sonic IMO.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Evo7 and Blaze Custom are my favs in basswood 7s

X2N7 isn't bad, but I think the Evo and Blaze Custom have a better "overall" tone.

Moltar

Reaction score
I recommend the D-Activator as well. Although I don't really think it sounds anything like the EMGs I have in another guitar. It does however sound amazing and is my favorite pickup out of everything I have ever tried. It just has this amazing crunch and roar to it I just love it.

mountainjam

Reaction score
A few people said crunchlab...its a hot pickup but far from brutal

')